New
Find
Notify
Tools

Status of Dakota Arms...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It's been quite a few months since Remington's bankruptcy proceedings and its impact on Dakota. I've heard that they will be "coming back" but only to build out previous orders having deposits on-hand and then sell-off the remaining inventory, misc. parts and tooling. Does anyone know if this is really correct or what the true status is? Thanks...

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 334 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where did you get your info?Or is it just internet jive?

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1784 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From a former Dakota dealer but more to the point, do you have anything factual to add?

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 334 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to see them come back. But sorry, nothing to add.

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, Remington is gone as I understand it, so they cannot offer it for sale. Was it VISTA that got Dakota? Can't remember now.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
It looks like maybe Roundhill Group:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...-in-bankruptcy-court

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roundhill got Dakota along with Remington. I got into it at one point, situation is very messy. I seriously doubt there will ever be another Dakota rifle

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
From what I've heard Dakota has relocated in the newer building west across the street and north of the old building. I've heard there will be an addition to this building.
This building has been the machine shop since the Kokesh era.
Apparently the Dakota Arms trade name is no longer available to them.
I've heard there is another trade name in the works. I haven't heard anything in regards to designs.

It would seem getting back to the basics of the lines would make the most sense, however market saturation is going to be a huge challenge, there's a lot of options available to the hunter/shooter/collector these days.

Just look at the market support for anything Rem.700 or clone. It totally kills all else.
Mcmillan will not inlet anything but a Rem. Or Rem. Clone at this point. What this says is very low demand for anything not Rem. 700

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
They need to sell their actions at a price point where people will want to buy them to make their own custom rifles. In other words, let people dictate what they want at the cost they want to pay rather than dictate what the customer gets at the cost they want the customer to pay. Otherwise they will never bring that business back.

(and maybe make the action more like a mauser Big Grin

Unbelievable
I wanted to quote this before it went away.
So Kevin, you want to tell somebody what to make and how much you are going to pay for it.

What a great business model.

Why didn't I think of that.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1839 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They need to sell their actions at a price point where people will want to buy them to make their own custom rifles. In other words, let people dictate what they want at the cost they want to pay rather than dictate what the customer gets at the cost they want the customer to pay. Otherwise they will never bring that business back.

Ah, no.

Posts: 698 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
It almost reminds me of the turbulent history of Kimber:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...acturing?wprov=sfti1

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
quote:

Unbelievable
I wanted to quote this before it went away.
So Kevin, you want to tell somebody what to make and how much you are going to pay for it.

What a great business model.

Why didn't I think of that.

This is the American business model. Your customers dictate what you build and what you charge. No?

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't know you Mr Pan, but learned a lot about you from some of your post.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"I want the 'best', I want it now, and I don't want to pay for its value."

Posts: 675 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Next time I go to a steak house I'm going to tell them I want a kobe beef ribeye medium rare in 5 minutes and I'm not spending more than $7.50 for it.

After all, hamburger can be found on sale for under $4.00 so $7.50 is a reasonable price.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1839 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:

Lots of high dollar restaurants have closed where I live!

We don't seem to have that same problem here in South Dakota. Wonder why?

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
Next time I go to a steak house I'm going to tell them I want a kobe beef ribeye medium rare in 5 minutes and I'm not spending more than $7.50 for it.

After all, hamburger can be found on sale for under $4.00 so $7.50 is a reasonable price.

Their business model worked but didn't sustain itself. Otherwise they would probably be operating during bankruptcy proceedings. Something has to change or they will never come back. If its not price then what? Value -YES. What is one getting for the money? The market has seemed to have said "not enough!"

Lots of high dollar restaurants have closed where I live!
Dakota was owned by the Freedom Group, which also owned the 'old' Remington Arms Company. The Freedom Group/Remington went bankrupt. That ment Dakota stopped operating, too. And then sold, just as the Remington Arms Companies and others owned by the Freedom Group were. Dakota had a niche market, but not enough to support the rest of Remington Arms and the Freedom Groups debts and keep the rest of them out of bankruptcy. Now, if they made $279 rifles , like, Stevens does.... But the Stevens $279 bolt action rifle is no Dakota, value wise. And just as a reference, there seems to be several custom action makers with offerings that can be used to build a fine custom rifle.

Posts: 675 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Here's the newest version of "formerly known as Dak Arms".
https://www.parkwestarms.com/
NO clue who/why/what about the name.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm....they must be making black powder shotguns..Ever see much smoke? Obviously the photo op is some bean counter that doesn't know a damn thing about firearms.

A condition not unknown

Posts: 3451 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marketing gone mad. Think they OD’d on the dry ice.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as an old friend of pete grisel i hate to see how low dakota has sunk..the shotgun pictured looks like am low end south american or real low end turkish product!!!...hopefully, i'm wrong about what i see....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete got out when getting out was gpod

Posts: 3451 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking they're just starting to build the site, and that's just a stock photo the web designer threw in. Kind of like the stock text on the about us page "FIREARMS CRAFTED WITH THE SUPREME QUALITY & PRECISION THE PARKWEST NAME WAS BUILT ON." With a name nobody's heard of yet, that's kind of a funny statement.

Posts: 570 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Pete got out when getting out was gpod

I knew Pete rather well. Had several of his own Mauser Kurtz actions and several rifles.
Actually Pete got out “when the getting was getting bad”.
Lots of drama at DA with each chapter of new ownership. Have used their actions over several decades.....I like their actions.

Posts: 670 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
semantics...Pete got out when it was good for HIM

We used Pete's action on the Number 1 Guild rifle, and he contributed greatly to the DAkota action refinements

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Pete told me he got out because nobody could tell him where the money was. He thought he was getting .... Well you know. He had to sign a non compete clause where he couldn't do what he loved and was quite proficient at.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Yes but the no compete was only for five years and Don and Norma had to pay Pete 50k a year for every one of the those five years.
Obviously his buy out was 250k.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I hope they honored the agreement

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I quit doing business with DA when Don Allen’s wife Norma pretty much took over the reins, even when Don was still alive. Pete and Norma would not even speak to one another at the end. Norma blocked clients from speaking to Pete. She and Don made PETE’s life miserable and pretty much ran him off.I had several quality control issues and Norma Allen had no clue what customer service was. Several times she demanded money for warranty issues. I always found a way to get through to Pete. Don was actually pretty good to deal with one on one when Norma wasn’t around. That is the time frame when Pete shared with me he had enough. Not much longer after that he exited , not necessarily on his own accord.

Posts: 670 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
holy crap!
Not many clients have spilled the HONEST beans like this.

Too many around here have an inflated opinion of DArms.

Dakota did produce quite a number of great rifles not without plenty of drama behind the scenes.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

posted Hide Post
I just wanted to reach out and let everyone know that Dakota Arms is now Parkwest Arms. Due to how the bankruptcy was settled the name went to Vista but everything else was sold separately. Parkwest is building the same rifles under a new name but with the same quality and design by the same people that have been building them for years. The website is under constant construction but please visit it at www.parkwestarms.com and reach out with any questions.

One of Us
Picture of Schrodinger
posted Hide Post
In the nineties I ordered several rifles from over a period of several years. I got what I ordered, but had to deal with Norma. I referred to as the woman who would eat her own.

Posts: 8613 | Location: Oregon  | Registered: 03 June 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spoke to Ward Dobler, who took all of my orders at the ‘old’ Dakota company last week. He is still heading up the operation in Sturgis, at the same location, with the same crew, making the same rifles, just renamed ParkWest. As soon as he returns from the safari shows in a few weeks, he said he would call me so I can place my order for the next rifle I want these guys to make for me. I own (11) Dakota rifles and I’ll be adding some new calibers in the ParkWest name. I think my first will be a Classic Deluxe in 280 Rem. I am anxious to look over the wood blanks and make my selection.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Anyone remembers the gentleman who owned them before Remington?

He came to Dubai years ago, and we met in my house.

Had dinner with him and friends from Zimbabwe.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Charles Kokesh!

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn’t Kokesh do time for defrauding investors in his fund relating to Dakota Arms?

When the RMEF convention was in Denver (2000?). I really wanted to check out Dakota’s wares and possibly order a 76 while at the show. My dad was ready to do the same. Norma Allen cured us of wanting any Dakota product within 5 minutes of stepping in their booth. She has to be one of the most unpleasant human beings I’ve ever come across...

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidReed:
Didn’t Kokesh do time for defrauding investors in his fund relating to Dakota Arms?

When the RMEF convention was in Denver (2000?). I really wanted to check out Dakota’s wares and possibly order a 76 while at the show. My dad was ready to do the same. Norma Allen cured us of wanting any Dakota product within 5 minutes of stepping in their booth. She has to be one of the most unpleasant human beings I’ve ever come across...

That is awful!

I did hear that Kokesh was involved in some shady deals, and people involved with him have not been very happy at all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think he was also a liberal
dancing

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
She has to be one of the most unpleasant human beings I’ve ever come across...

I wonder what happened that she became that way. She was a very nice lady way back when they had their store in Northfield Minnesota. Many times she let me roam around their building where they stored all of their nice wood, and also sold a gun for me on consignment and didn't charge much at all to do so. Always pleasant everytime I went there. Also very nice when I visited the Dakota plant in Sturgis soon after they moved there from NOrthfield.

KJK

Posts: 677 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
She has to be one of the most unpleasant human beings I’ve ever come across...

I wonder what happened that she became that way. She was a very nice lady way back when they had their store in Northfield Minnesota. Many times she let me roam around their building where they stored all of their nice wood, and also sold a gun for me on consignment and didn't charge much at all to do so. Always pleasant everytime I went there. Also very nice when I visited the Dakota plant in Sturgis soon after they moved there from NOrthfield.
She probably got real tired of dealing with unreasonable, demanding cheap skates who thought they should work for peanuts. Wonder why some (many) gunsmiths develop an attitude? Some should just look in the mirror! Pull up to the shop in a new $80,000 pick-up, proclaim "I've been lookin' for someone that can do that for at least 15yrs" , then figure they deserve a 'discount' on your labor!