New
Find
Notify
Tools

.303 Fraser take down
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This one on a standard length slant box action, chambered in .303 British and with the Fraser patent trigger. It needs a little TLC but will remain largely original when finished. The stock needs to be rubbed out, a new Silvers pad fit and it may get some slight damage to the rear sight and it's base repaired. A really interesting rifle and the bore remains very good.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Fraser Mausers are beautiful rifles. That rifle is in excellent hands for the restoration.

Remember to follow up with some "After" pictures once the rifle is done.

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I like it; super classic.
And note the simple take down/retainer mechanism; one thumb/coin screw on the left side.
Is it full, or interrupted, thread? Many of these were full thread.

Posts: 17035 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle tu2

I am looking forward to some photos after a bit of TLC

DRSS

Posts: 1892 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Please share "after" photos.

Thanks for sharing.

Lee

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
How lovely! what a gem!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been working on taking photos with my new camera and thought I would update this thread. Damage to rear sight and its base cleaned up, Fore end hanger re-attached, rust blue blended with existing finish. New recoil pad, a clean and oil which was desperately needed, a few small stock repairs and the original linseed oil finish was found under the oxidized black oil on top. Not a restoration, just a well deserved deep cleaning.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I like this one. Are the barrel threads full threaded or interrupted?

Posts: 17035 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fully threaded, set screw on the left keeps it tight until take down.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, you sure have gotten your hands on some fine sporting Mausers lately. Nice job with the deep cleaning. I say again... the Fraser rifles are beautiful!

Random question. Every Mauser rifle I have seen from Fraser was built as a stalking rifle in light/medium calibers. Seems to have been there specialty. Have you ever come across a big bore Mauser built by Fraser?

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a big bore sporting rifle by Fraser.
Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you have a photo of the proof marks, Steve? Be interesting to know what weight of bullet this one originally took.

Maybe gunbook notes from the maker?

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Tim,
The rifle is marked "Nitro Proofed" 303 and carries the London NP mark, nothing else. No cordite or bullet weight is stamped on it. I have not contacted J.P. about getting a letter on the rifle as it is owned by a client.
Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, thanks, Steve.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Small question......what length is the barrel?

Roger

Posts: 1029 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are there any dates on the rifle?

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1468 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
24&1/2" in front of the ring.

No dates on it. It has the Fraser patent trigger and I am pretty sure the metal work was purchased through Rigby if that helps date it. Somewhere between 1900 and 1910 is my guess. Pretty sure the Fraser records exist but this one is a client gun so I did not spring for one.
Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’d have to double check my notes, as I remember when Speed and I talked about the slant box magazines, they originated as a prototype for Siam. The Siamese Mauser that we know today, is a copy of that original Mauser design. That original design, of my memory serves was around 1904. Rigby was the first to purchase and use them.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1468 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sadly, the Fraser records are not known to exist.