New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paul Jaeger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have an opinion on his work/company? Seems he did a lot of customs and mods to rifles over the years.
Any history is appreciated.

Posts: 10095 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some info on him and the company, includes a good article by Petrov: http://www.germanhuntingguns.c...archive-jaeger-paul/

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forty years ago I sent an Interarms Mark X action in the white to Jaegers to have barreled in 270 Win. Went with a 24 in. Douglas Premium #2 contour, and had the action trued, bolt engine turned, and trigger set to 2¾ pounds. My local gunsmith then glass bedded it in a Reinhart Fajen walnut stock. It was super accurate, often grouping under ½ inch. It also had the pleasant attribute of putting Sierra 110s and 130s, and Hornady 140 BT Interlocks to the same point of aim at 100 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a Mannlicher stocked Paul Jaeger creation I picked up at an auction a while back. Very nicely done considering the prices he was charging in those days. Caliber .30-'06 with a 4X Leupold scope.

This is somewhat of an enigma: the action is an earlier version of the FN Mauser, the iron sights are a 1930's Lyman 35, the caliber is .275 H&H Magnum, which ceased to be a factory produced cartridge before WW II, and the scope is a pre-War Zeiss Zielvier in a Jaeger side mount, with clamps for the rail instead of rings, but the Monte Carlo stock and the inlay
and grip cap would seem to indicate post War production. Anyway, it proved to be a hammer on white tails this season.

Both rifles share the unusual Jaeger cheek piece.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The article on the Jaeger shop and history brought back my thoughts. I was stationed in the Army about 20 miles from Mainz where Kurt Jaeger had his shop back in 1958. It was quite a shop and I don't remember too much as it was so many years ago I had gunsmith books sent to me from Stoegers, and that was my time to start learning the trade. There was a small gun shop in Bad Krueznach. He sent me over to Mainz. A fun time in the Cold War times waiting on the Russians to come run us out of Germany.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
xausa- You sure have a wonderful collection of rifles.I bet A guy could spend all day handling and looking at your collection.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2757 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
This is a Mannlicher stocked Paul Jaeger creation I picked up at an auction a while back. Very nicely done considering the prices he was charging in those days. Caliber .30-'06 with a 4X Leupold scope.

This is somewhat of an enigma: the action is an earlier version of the FN Mauser, the iron sights are a 1930's Lyman 35, the caliber is .275 H&H Magnum, which ceased to be a factory produced cartridge before WW II, and the scope is a pre-War Zeiss Zielvier in a Jaeger side mount, with clamps for the rail instead of rings, but the Monte Carlo stock and the inlay
and grip cap would seem to indicate post War production. Anyway, it proved to be a hammer on white tails this season.

Both rifles share the unusual Jaeger cheek piece.

Question. Are you using the original .245 bullets, and if not, what are you Using? Thanks.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul Jaeger scope mount on 1947 Winchester Model 94 in 32 Special. You can still use the iron sights and the scope slides off the mount via a button and lever. Re-zero's perfect when put back on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:

Question. Are you using the original .245 bullets, and if not, what are you Using? Thanks.

I don't really know what you're referring to. The original .275 H&H used a .287" bullet, but since this rifle was made in the US, it happily digests .284" bullets and puts them into a 1" circle at 100 yards.

Factory cartridges in England (Kynoch) were loaded with the .287" bullets, but the Western Cartridge Company in the US used the American standard .284" bullets, and it would be unlikely that Jaeger would chamber for factory ammunition virtually unavailable in this country.

One of Us
Picture of tom mason
posted Hide Post
Look at Guns Intl. No. 101370474. I just bought it. What a steal!

Posts: 1117 | Location: Moore, Okla. | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're right, it was a steal, but the buying public seems to think that a side mount detracts from the value of a rifle, while I think it adds to it. Most of mine are G&H's, however.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Mike Walker's 722 in 257 Roberts. Guess what scope mount Mike put on it.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what scope mount Mike used, but if he shared my taste in G&H side mounts, that puts me in pretty select company.

I met Mike once at a benchrest match in Johnstown, NY in the fall of 1964. He was wearing his trademark Stetson.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate enough to purchase a couple of his rifles, a couple hand presses that he made out of Remington receivers and 2 of his scopes. One was the prototype of the 24X and 1 of 3 of the ones produced in the custom shop. These are internal adjustment. I had 4 of the external adj scopes, but others wanted them more than I.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’d love one of his mounts for a styer MCA.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom- what was it that you scored off GI?

The number doesn’t pull anything up now?

Bob

One of Us
Picture of tom mason
posted Hide Post
I know. It was a Pre-64 M70 FWT in 308 Win. with the Jaeger side mount. It looked like it had a jeweled bolt like the Super Grade Fwts had. It has a Jeager grip cap and Jaeger sling swivels and studs. It also has a checkered butt plate. Every Jaeger I have ever bought with checkered butt plates had those made by Beisen. Anyway, I paid $1,000 for it.

Posts: 1117 | Location: Moore, Okla. | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, small world. The shop that had that in DE is 20 mins from my house and i saw that one last week. Left there thinking I would regret not pulling the trigger so to speak. Glad it went to a good guy though.

One of Us
Picture of tom mason
posted Hide Post
Got the rifle yesterday. Its a Custom Deluxe Paul Jaeger no. 737. It had G&H sling swivels instead of Jaegers. The grip cap and butt plate were checkered as shown in their 1973 catalog. It was a nice buy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with one in .270 about 40 years ago. Rifle was borrowed from girlfriend's dad for a NM elk hunt. The hunt was a bust but the rifle did very well. Great accuracy and precision. Drop dead beautiful wood work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the responses.
Question - with all of the positive feedback on his work, why do the rifles bearing his name and work not sell for the prices a Goens or Ottmar or Geisel or Biesen custom?

Posts: 10095 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Thanks for all of the responses.
Question - with all of the positive feedback on his work, why do the rifles bearing his name and work not sell for the prices a Goens or Ottmar or Geisel or Biesen custom?

Probably because Jaeger was selling a catalog item, not a true custom, tailor fitted to the customer's specifications. Of course, such custom rifles were available as well, but at a significantly higher cost, I should think.

Jaeger was just one of several companies who offered rifles of that nature, using FN barreled actions: Flaig's of Millvale, PA, come to mind.