Find
Notify
Tools

Building a 9.3 x 64
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
Ive got the urge to do a 9.3 x 64. A medium bore has been on my wishlist for a while and had thought about a .375 H&H but I've always admired the 9.3x64. Brass won't be a problem as I have a contact who can get it for me and Bertram Brass in Australia also makes it.

So a Pac Nor barrel chambered in 9.3x64 has come up for sale in Australia and is threaded for a Winchester M70 push feed action. How difficult to get it altered for an M98 or newer Winchester M70 controlled feed?

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When did Bertram start making 9.3x64 brass?

Posts: 70 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Oops sorry, my bad. I was going off another forum where they said Bertram made 9.3x64 brass. Just checked and it's not listed on Bertrams website.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kiwiwildcat:
Ive got the urge to do a 9.3 x 64. A medium bore has been on my wishlist for a while and had thought about a .375 H&H but I've always admired the 9.3x64. Brass won't be a problem as I have a contact who can get it for me and Bertram Brass in Australia also makes it.

So a Pac Nor barrel chambered in 9.3x64 has come up for sale in Australia and is threaded for a Winchester M70 push feed action. How difficult to get it altered for an M98 or newer Winchester M70 controlled feed?

I would think you will need to cut off the whole threaded portion, the threads are not compatible to either action; 1" x 28 on the win, the newer BACO ones, 1.100 x 12 fopr the Mauser

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim,

Could you do an intermediate threaded collar?

This barrel is too good to pass up. Its 26 inches and chrome moly. Don't want stainless as i want a traditional walnut/blue steel rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An older Win 70 crf should work, with an extractor cut added. The thread didn't change until they started production in either SC or Portugal. Correct me if I'm wrong. All the NH guns should have the 1x16 threads.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Brass is available from RWS and RWS alone. Each piece is about 2 or 3$

www.triebel.de is a good source, make sure you search 9,3x64 not 9.3x64. German's don't use periods, they use commas.

Occasionally Quality Cartridge will do a batch.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Voere makes a rifle in 9,3x64 www.voere.de it is a 98 Mauser, in a deluxe rifle.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get also empty cases from the "Süddeutsche Hülsenmanufaktur". Look at their HP!

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Brass is available from RWS and RWS alone. Each piece is about 2 or 3$

www.triebel.de is a good source, make sure you search 9,3x64 not 9.3x64. German's don't use periods, they use commas.

Occasionally Quality Cartridge will do a batch.

RWS is wonderful brass. Brass can also be formed from 338 win brass but you need access to a small lathe to turn off the belt and reduce the case head.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get my RWS brass from Ralf Martini.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not worth the effort over a 62.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

I wouldn't say that.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:

I wouldn't say that.

I have a 9.3X62, but would like to know the true advantages of the X64. Velocity, accuracy, loading components, and availability of loaded ammo.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Watching as I have the same sick desire for a 9.3x64.

For me and what I hunt, I doubt there's any real advantage over the 62 other than the advantage of scarce and expensive brass(!), more recoil and a much more expensive rifle. Please note the sarcasm. In fact if I found the perfect 62 I'd most likely stop there. But for a custom rifle, would like the 64 just fer fun.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
quote:
quote:

I wouldn't say that.

I have a 9.3X62, but would like to know the true advantages of the X64. Velocity, accuracy, loading components, and availability of loaded ammo.

If we limit our discussion to published load data, the 64 will net up to 300 fps more with equal weight bullets.

Components, well, projectiles are interchangeable. 64 Brass is definitely more difficult to find. RWS brass will last a LONG time and 200 cases would last most folks a lifetime. When Jamison started making cases, it made things a bit easier. Even when you couldn't find RWS brass in the states, a simple call to Reimer Johannsen resulted in 100 cases arriving in short order.

The 9,3x62 definitely has far more factory loads available in the US. Hands down the winner.

For most, I'd say the 62 makes more sense. The 64 will do anything the 62 will, and more. How many of us NEED the more? Probably not most. But it can be nice to have. You can load the 64 down but you cannot load the 62 up to match.

Accuracy, IMO depends on the individual rifle. That said, my 64 is every bit as accurate as any of my 62's and we all know how easy it is to get a 62 to shoot well.

In summary, I think for most folks the 9,3x62 is the better choice, especially if availability of factory ammunition is a must. For those wanting a bit more or who just plain want one, the 9,3x64 isn't that hard to do right.

My old ugly 64 weighs 7.75 lbs scoped, is as accurate as any of my 62's, and doesn't kick substantially more. It is ugly but effective.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I see 200 fps difference;Vitavouri manual; these cartridges kill by bullet weight at moderate velocities; for the extra effort required in brass, dies, and ammo, and making a bolt face, and making them feed, (a no brainer on a 62) I can't see the 64 as worth it, unless you just want one, then fine.
But for most, even the 62 is exotic enough. And all my 9.3x62s come with 25 inch barrels, which reduces the difference.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
I see 200 fps difference;Vitavouri manual; these cartridges kill by bullet weight at moderate velocities; for the extra effort required in brass, dies, and ammo, and making a bolt face, and making them feed, (a no brainer on a 62) I can't see the 64 as worth it, unless you just want one, then fine.
But for most, even the 62 is exotic enough. And all my 9.3x62s come with 25 inch barrels, which reduces the difference.

Hmm, kinda sounds a lot like what I said.

Check Nosler's data:

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/93x62-mauser/

https://load-data.nosler.com/l...ta/93x64mm-brenneke/

Their data indicates about 270 fps using 286's. Ironically, they used a 26" barrel on the 62 and a 25" on the 64. One of the nicest 9,3x64's I have seen was at the 2007 or 2008 ACGG show in Reno. Lee Hegeland built a Beautiful 64 on I believe a Brno M21 action. As I recall, it had a 21 or 22" tube on it which still delivered more punch than your 25" 62 does.

Given your notion of bullet weight being sufficient, there is no need for the oh so popular .375 H&H 260 grain load.

And really, it isn't that hard to make the 9,3x64 feed.

But, as has been said, the 9,3x64 isn't for everyone. I was simply trying to answer Butch's questions with some real world experience, not opinion or speculation. The 9,3x62 and the 6.5x55 are my favorite big game cartridges. I have at least half a dozen 62's and have built dozens more. For most, it is plenty. However, some want more, and for those that do, I wouldn't be put off by brass or ammo.

Heck, if we all had that attitude, the .404 would never have had the comeback that it did.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are John Barsness' lab tested 9.3x62 hot loads. They are at, or less than, 30-06 pressure. I left out charge weights. Overall length was not specified, but I assume bullets are seated to manual specs.

Loads were shot from a CZ 550 with a 23.6-inch barrel, pressure-tested at under 60,000 psi. (Handloader Issue #250 - December, 2007

232 Norma Oryx Alliant RL-15 2,716
Remarks: group (inches): .97
250 Barnes X-Bullet Alliant RL-15 2,636
Remarks: group (inches): .84
250 Nosler AccuBond Hodgdon Varget 2,651
Remarks: group (inches): 1.12
270 Speer Hot-Cor Ramshot Big Game 2,501
Remarks: group (inches): 1.23
286 Nosler Partition Ramshot Big Game 2,495
Remarks: group (inches): .79

I imagine that if one adds a couple inches of barrel length, seats bullets out as far as is reasonable (assuming a longer throat than the absurdly short throated PT&G reamer used to cut my 9.3x62 chamber), and works loads up to the 60k psi ballpark, one would get within a Nolan Ryan fastball distance from a 9.3x64. I'm happy with standard loads, at standard length, and standard pressure. (I'm even happy with the PT&G short throat, as it should contribute to good accuracy.) No 9.3x64 in my future, as the 9.3x62 has all the potential I want. If I decide I want a 3-7-5, I'll buy or build one. Different strokes... Smiler

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, keep the dialogue going Smiler

I talked to the RWS importer here in New Zealand and she told me she can get 9.3 x 64 brass (100 min quantity) easily enough for me.

I now have to work on the paper work to get this 9.3 x 64 barrel out of Australia.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, what I wanted to know.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I am very sorry; I didn't mean to just re package your post. I hate people who do that.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am very sorry; I didn't mean to just re package your post. I hate people who do that.

No apologies required; my comment was meant as more of a "we agree" (mostly). Obviously it did not come across as such.

Without a doubt, the 9,3x62 is the more practical choice.

But I find those wanting custom rifles often don't care about practicality.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For whatever it's worth: I haven't built a lot of the 64 version, but the ones I have..the owners are wild about them.

The cartridge seems to have some sort of "perfect balance"

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I resent that! Just kidding, zlr as I have and will do similar things.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of those Wiebe 9.3x64's ......if I was limited to one cartridge it might be the one I kept. It will push a 250 grain Barnes TTSX or Nosler Accubond at 2800-2850fps which will shoot as flat as a .338WinMag and push a 286 grain soft or solid at 2600-2650fps which will do everything the 375hh will do. Only short coming is you need to reload, but the component are readily available.

Posts: 223 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used both and my 9.3x62 with a 26 inch barrel would come within 70 FPS of my 24 inch barreled 9.3x64..Later a LW barreled 9.3x62 with a 24 inch barrel came within 102 FPS of the 24 inch 9.3x64....Pushing both to the limit..

I came to the conclusion the 9.3x62 had more to offer, but others might not feel the same way..at any rate both are excellent calibers and approach the 375 H&H..both work in a std 98 Mauser, so take your pick..The 9.3x64 rifle I had definatly recoiled like a 375 H&H it seemed to me, and the 9.3x62 seemed a little less, but recoil is funny stuff, one never knows. shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't the main issue with these that there are some countries that will not allow hunting for certain larger game with anything less than the .375 caliber?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
Isn't the main issue with these that there are some countries that will not allow hunting for certain larger game with anything less than the .375 caliber?

That is true, but since I don't hunt in those countries, it doesn't affect my decision.

I think in most cases the choice of weapon depends on the intended use. One should use the "right" gun for the circumstances. What's right for me, may not be right for you. OMG, did I really just say that?

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's right for me, may not be right for you. OMG, did I really just say that?

Are you coming out as a Libertarian? It's OK. I've got your back! Big Grin

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are FPE requirements in some countries. Zim, for instance, requires 9.2 or larger for dangerous game. Many countries do not publish a minimum

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Voere makes a rifle in 9,3x64 www.voere.de it is a 98 Mauser, in a deluxe rifle.

They do not import them to the US though. How tough would it be for you to bring one back?

My 9.3x64 gets 2550fps with RWS 293gr ammunition. Easily get that with my 286gr handloads.

My particular rifle does not like 250gr bullets though. So I stick with the heavies. Thought about trying some 300gr A-frames, but cannot imagine they would do much better than the TSX's.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zim requires the 9.3s to pass an energy test that factory ammo does not produce to be legal, but the 9.3x62 loaded with a 286 gr. bullet at 2520 will pass the mustard as legal in Zimbabwe..

The 9.3x62 is also legal in Kenya opposed to what many have stated,as it states for those with experience what ever that means..Tanzania never checks or seems to care..Africa seems to like the 9.3x62 and are very forgiving..

Americans and most Africans that handload, load the 9.3x62 with a 286 gr. bullet to 2525 FPS, still many just go ahead and use factory ammo, and don't seem disturbed about its use and they do so very openly..I also load the 300 gr. Swift to within a tad of 2500 FPS and find it an excellent killer of anything.

My 9.3x62s have all come close enough to the 9.3x64 to suit me and the animals..In fact I can't tell one bit of difference in the reaction of a buffalo,Lion Hippo or a brain shot elephant between the 9.3x62 9.3x64 and a .375, the results are very similar in all respects..I like the 9.3x62 on buffalo with a Woodleigh or Swift or Nosler partion and a good solid for the second shot..I Like bigger bore rifles on elephant such as a 416 or 458, but the elephants Ive seen shot with a 9.3x62 and 9.3x74 gave their knees to the hunters in each case. I like both the 9.3s but my preference is the 9.3x62 hands down..I prefer the .375 to the 9.3x64 as a matter of fact..but that's just my personal opinion.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
I have the opportunity to buy a Brazilian Oberndorf M98 action. Are these a large ring M98 and strong enough for the 9.3x64?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is an Oberndorf Action then it probably is a 1935 as opposed to a 1908 which is a DWM action. I am not qualified to answer your specific question, but from what I have seen and heard the 1935 Brazilian actions are very desirable actions on which to build very fine custom rifles.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Serial number is B707

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any good 98 action that one would use for a 375 or 338 is fine, any quality 98 will qualify.The Brazilian, Chilians, etc are exceptional.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
A friend had a 9.3x64B made (i eventualy owned).
Built with a VZ24 M98 action, Walther Barrel,
RECHNAGEL fittings including bottom metal.
The open sightd were set for 320grn woodleighs and the scope altered from 293 grn TUGs and some type of 250grn bullet.
Turned out to be a loverly bit of kit

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hallowell fine Guns has nice one for sale.worth a look

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 9.3x64's metal work should be done. I expect that she will be a nice shooter, even though the gunsmith doesn't like the caliber.

My belief is that the 9.3x66 get you1'3 of the way from 9.3x62 up toward the 9.3x64. The 9.3x64 is a .375 H&H equivalent, and in a smaller and more manageable action. I expect good things for this rifle. It will balance near the front receiver ring. Jack Belk did the barrel, the action is an Interarms Mark X, the bottom metal is Swift/Blackburn, as is the trigger. The safety is courtesy of Ed Lapour. I have a stock waiting for it. All I need is the black art of feeding with total control from any position to be finished so I can use it in two months!

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote