New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Holland and Holland
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I built this rifle a number of years ago on a pre-64 Model 70. Initially in a fiberglass stock, it was a rifle I'd bring to the shows as a representation of our all-weather McKinley rifle.
That was until I booked a hunt in the Eastern Cape for this past July and decided the rifle would look better over there with a proper walnut stock.
Just days before I was going to start making chips I received a message from a forum member here that was looking to have a .300 H&H built with identical specs to the gun I had. I explained what I had going and offered to make the stock to his specs, still take it to Africa, and then tidy it up after the hunt. He graciously agreed.
I'll follow up with a hunt report sometime, but for now I'll say that I loved hunting plains game with the 300 H&H. The 180 grn barnes dropped everything in their tracks. Mild recoil for a magnum, feeds like butter, and of course the nostalgia factor. I know from a technical aspect the case is not ideal, but I love it!
Some pics below of work-in-progress and then the complete gun:

Posts: 571 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 571 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
It’s beautiful.

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love the proportions of the barrel length to the forend.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A masterpiece. Nothing can compare for sheer beauty than a living craftsman’s work with once living Walnut.

Posts: 10825 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Model 70 .300 H&H has been to Africa three times and has slain a host of plains game, but it surely doesn't have a stock like that.

To say that I'm envious is an understatement.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
really nice....the stock dimensions are really pleasing to the eye...and, of course, it"s a .300 h&h!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just simply beautiful ...and it obviously does it's job in the field.

I've shot moose and elk with a 300 H&H but sadly don't own one at the moment.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eye candy indeed!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very handsome and crisp stockmaking, i like it a lot. Particularly the grip checkering down close to the cap and tucking around back of the cap.
Congrats on the Bushbuck and Dandy Kudu! A real treat with your fine hunting rifle~~

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful rifle in a classic caliber.

In addition to the immaculate stock work, the metal work is also outstanding.

I love the straight, Oberndorf style checkered bolt handle, the engraved double cross-bolts and the tastefully jeweled extractor and engraved floor plate.

Superb!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What stock finish did you use on this project ?

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

Craftsman: I used Timberlux on this project. I use the sand in method with the finish for filling the pores, then progress with finer paper up to 600. Then comes the coats of hand rubbed finish. I did about a dozen of those before the hunt, and a couple dozen more after the hunt. You'll notice in the checkering pictures above that it has a duller sheen than the finished rifle pictures that were taken just before delivery to the customer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt, you do well no matter which wood finish you try.

I love my 300 H&H. It performs very well on Bear and Elk.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Beautifully made and looking rifle but the thing that really caught my eye is the scope mounting. In most cases we see of custom rifles with scopes, the damn scope ruins the look of the total package, a large scope mounted like a carry handle.

This one, even though a 44mm objective lens, is mounted as low as possible, nicely centered over the action, perfectly complimenting a beautiful rifle. Well done from me for what that is worth.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yes. Very nicely done and the raised flourish at the bolt release is a nice touch. Love the grain flow through the grip as well.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stunning work!

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see how you could improve it...
Love it.

Posts: 10148 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle.
That small detail at the bolt release caught my eye immedietely.

The lines are just right IMO. I like the forend length & the fact that the ebony tip lines up with the rear sight base.
That dead straight bolt handle and again just the right length.

Very nice!

one of us
posted Hide Post
One would have to be asfully picky and a bit of an igmo to change anything on that rifle.. : That small cutout in the stock above the trigger against the bolt body adds a special touch, would make a signature for all your future rifles IMO. If its just the lighting then I will use it on all my rifles!! old ...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote