New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on this one
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is a Duane Weibe rifle for sale that I am interested in. I know Duane posts here. Any insight into this appreciated. I am not an expert in Mauser actions as I usually use a Model 70 CRF or an HS Precision push feed.

Again, not looking for critique, but am interested in what you "see".

Duane -anything you could add is appreciated

https://urldefense.proofpoint....Acd44wvD2yq13laoI&e=

Posts: 10120 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a thing to criticize. Everything is as it should be. Whoever ends up with this one will be one lucky person.

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
What are the marks on the bolt body?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About all the info I can provide is that I built it in 1993 "0793" was my old way...7th rifle in 1993.

I no longer number the rifle..only the year of build. Bluefish: That's called "frosting"..done with a rotating Arkansas stone

Posts: 3436 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane - Did you sign the barrels back then as well or was signature on wood only?

quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
About all the info I can provide is that I built it in 1993 "0793" was my old way...7th rifle in 1993.

I no longer number the rifle..only the year of build. Bluefish: That's called "frosting"..done with a rotating Arkansas stone

Posts: 3059 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks. Followup question is what purpose does that serve; is it cosmetic or does it serve a function such as better oil retention or other?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone is their own "expert" in what they like. If I had the money and the need I would buy that rifle in a heartbeat for its wonderful lines, although I think the ones Mr. Wiebe built on G.33/40 actions look nicer. (see if you can find photos of Forrest B's 7 x 57 rifles from Mr. Wiebe)

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
What an absolutely beautiful rifle. I'd love to own it but it's not in a retired educator's budget.

Posts: 710 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
quote:

Thanks. Followup question is what purpose does that serve; is it cosmetic or does it serve a function such as better oil retention or other?

It's an alternative to engine turning..cosmetic

Posts: 3436 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I "see" one of the most beautiful rifles I have ever seen. I would love to be able to afford just one of his rifles. He is a craftsman of the finest caliber!

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He is without a doubt one of the greats of all time..Every time I see one of his rifles with that Alkanet root finish I curl up in a ball, Lordy that's beautiful..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41789 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very fine rifle.
I don't care for the ejection port relief, but I'm sure someone does~~

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1779 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know a couple of things.

1. I constantly scan the internet for wiebe and hoenig rifles.

2. They do not come up on the used market very often.

3. They have gone for less, and also a lot more.

4. The price of entry is better than half of new.

5. The smaller calibers are rare, as i imagine the smaller calibers are used more.

6. I want one.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I very much like like the blank chosen. It is elegant, not too flashy and has fine structure.

With such blanks, nothing can be hidden behind the bling factor of "exhibition grade" walnut. Instead, the eye is drawn to the makers lines and workmanship and thus appreciate what they have made without confusion. The finished rifle can still be SO nice if fine and harmonious work is done that reeks of quality. That's not so easy to achieve. This rifle is a great example of that. Bravo.

Posts: 99 | Location: Tasmania | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Fairly confident in saying any Wiebe rifle is a good 'un.

The only thing I would change on that rifle is a personal matter with me and not a fault, but I would like to see a 24" to 25" barrel. I know many will say shorter barrels are handy but at 6'3" I find longer barrels just feel more "balanced" for me...

Other than that, a bargain over what it would cost to have Duane build that rifle for you.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7519 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's just sick and wrong....that one man can produce something that beautiful!

Seems like a sweet deal if you're in the market for a rifle built by one of the giants of rifle-making.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Very nice lines, classic DW Brit-based design with a bit extra; the unique shape of the wood about the ejector box which adds character.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5092 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Ross, if you don't want to buy it, I just might.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13360 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Ross, if you don't want to buy it, I just might.

Spoken like a true gentleman.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice gun, how does that price compare to having Duane build you a custom rifle? that would be my first thought..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41789 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote