Find
Notify
Tools

Vic Olson
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Curious if anyone has any information on Vic Olson and the rifles he built in terms of reputation for quality, etc. I know (believe) that he worked for Browning for a while, left to make his own rifles and stopped gun making some time in the early 80's and pursued another career. I have a rifle made by Mr. Olson but know very little about the builder and the general quality of his builds, hence the question. Thank you in advance for any information you might be able to share.

Mike

Posts: 21190 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, here a couple Olsen rifles. They seem to be moderately priced.

http://www.hallowellco.com/olson_custom_mauser.htm

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall that he had a rifle or two in the Custom Guns section of Gun Digest back in the 70's or 80's.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems he retired pretty early on from gunsmithing a got a more traditional job.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vic and I shot Bullseye pistol together for quite a few years. He is really a nice guy and i believe he was working at Browning at the time. He has a presence on Facebook and you might be able to reach him that way or contact Richard Hambrook, he engraves for Browning or at least used to He is on Facebook as well.
Phil

Posts: 352 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice looking 257 Roberts! tu2

posted Hide Post
I know Vic quite well. Back in the late 70s to early 80s he built several rifles for me. He worked for Browning in Arnold, MO before that time period. I see him every so often these days, he shoots trap and skeet around the St. Louis area. His guns were/are well made, his bedding was always excellent as was his metal finishing. He made his stocks from the blank, by hand and all of mine shot quite well. His rifles won’t bring what a Biesen, Goens or Fischer gun will but they’re a great value and fine hunting rifle.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote