New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x57 on Full Length Stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The barrel work is by Lothar Walther; Sharon Dressel furnished the superb blank, color enhanced by a little alkenet root.

Starting with a clean 33-40, an added square bridge allows a nice place for the claw mount lock up.

The front sight hood was a bit of pain -- the ramp was too narrow for a traditional hood lock. Settled the issue by a rotating lock... use thumb and forefinger to turn the cylinder 180.

Engraving was done by Roger Kehr. He had the color cased parts done by Turnbulls.

Scope seems a bit large, but the optics of the 1-8 are "magnified air."

Posts: 3437 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like that idea of not putting the front scope base on the front ring.

Beautiful work as always.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nicely done again and in my favorite caliber.
Any plans to blue the muzzle face?
Wow. Is that checkering done in 30 LPI?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5092 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Super nice job, as expected.
No, he will not blue the muzzle; de rigeuer for any rust blued barrel. You do not blue the muzzles.

Posts: 17071 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work Duane! I really like the octagonal barrel and forearm cap treatment and of course, Roger's work looks fantastic as always.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12512 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weight?

That is one beautiful piece of work!

Posts: 229 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
VERY nice all around. I especially like the metalwork. It takes a true talent to work in areas so small.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
faint faint faint patriot

nice rifle!!!!!!!!!

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.”
― Nikola Tesla

Posts: 99 | Location: United States windber, pa | Registered: 16 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 563 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good work, as usual.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Checkering is "about" 25 LPI . With scope 8 3/4 without 7 1/2

Posts: 3437 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
very nice indeed..I love oct. barrels or half oct/half round, steel butt plates, manlicher stocks, and G33/40s, this one was built for me, surely!!
Ray hilbily

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41790 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A full length stock is hard to pull off. Sometimes they look butt heavy or the forearm looks concave if the barrel is too long.

Duane your rifle looks spot on! I like the barrel length and profile. Looks balanced and handy as hell... The rear square bridge is a really cool feature as well.

Thanks for sharing pictures.

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. Would look even better with iron sights only or a more compact scope..

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle, but those Swarovski scopes have a very bulky eyepiece lense.

I wish the top end scopes would go to back to 1” tubes and small eyepiece lens

Nickel make a few very nice compact scopes - and they only sell direct and are expensive. Their 1.5-6x30 would be perfect for this rifle.

http://www.nickel-ag.com/en/pr...ts/scopes/15630.aspx

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Yep, agree with others, this is one neat mannlicher but the front scope mount ruins the lines of the rifle. Other than that, it's pretty much perfection!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7519 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:

Nickel make a few very nice compact scopes - and they only sell direct and are expensive. Their 1.5-6x30 would be perfect for this rifle.

There seems to be no end in sight with scope size...Tried to buy a high end 2-7 lately?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Heym SR20:

There seems to be no end in sight with scope size...Tried to buy a high end 2-7 lately? On the same note, got my new Swarovski catalog where they described "pinnacle of hunting" is long range...With giant scopes to match!

I always thought the pinnacle of hunting was the stalk...What's better than a 100 yard shot? answer: a 99 yard shot .

These scope manufacturers are fixated on sniping,not hunting

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sadly, that's where the market is. The majority of new shooters are knob turning, paper punchers. The numbers of hunters is decreasing so the scope makers are catering to where the demand is. It's comical that we strive to build a light 7 lb steel and wood rifle and it ends up shod with a 3 lb scope bigger than my spotting scope. The other struggle when trying to scope older rifles is that most scopes have such a short mounting distance on the tube that it is hard to fit them on longer actions without either extended bases or rings, neither of which I care for.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yep. I wonder how many purchases (guns incl.) are based on bragging rights on FCBK. To each his own I guess.
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:

Sadly, that's where the market is.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5092 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HA! photo reminds me of another blip...Put an animal 6 inches from the camera and put the shooter on the horizon...Whotheykiddin?

Happy Thanksgiving to all

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane, that technique was perfected by Bob Brister, late shooting editor of Field and Stream. He started out with bass and eventually moved on to big game. Very commonly referred to as a "Brister Photo".

Posts: 716 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't know that.thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane that rifle is exquisite! I appreciate your confidence in providing close up HD pics! No hiding behind blurry photos for you. The inletted sling swivel in the forend provides the necessary visual breakup to make the stock look elegant. I've seen stocks with a subtle Schnabel in that zone to achieve the same effect.

The scope however(as high quality as it is) looks like a flying saucer landed on top of the HMS Queen Elizabeth. Gosh there needs to be a blued steel tube modern scope to complement period re-creations as well as original pieces.

Posts: 3662 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Customer wants a blue suit, you turn on he blue lights"

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Another well done rifle. No better styling and execution available...PERIOD!

Nice photography too! Not easy capturing engraving on a finished rifle.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1629 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous work! Yes, the scope is rather incongruous (but not the exquisite mounts!) The only thing that prevents it being, to quote Duane's own phrase, "a scope wearing a rifle", is the fact that the incredible quality of both the design and execution makes the rifle the focus of your attention, so it's not over-shadowed. The fact that I love a well-proportioned, full-stocked rifle doesn't hurt...

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle.

Given our PC culture, I am amazed the markings are intact

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't routinely remove historical markings..screw the PCers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a little curious about the stock. Is that a standard drop in the stock's heel and toe?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Standard"???? Not sure what that would be.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:

Take into account who is asking the question.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:

Take into account who is asking the question.

Yes Sir!

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's okay. Take into account that I was the one that asked the question and laugh all you want. I misspoke, forgetting that this is a custom rifle fit for a specific person. What I should have asked is what the drop is and then made my own conclusions about it. Hope everyone is doing well.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't routinely remove historical markings..screw the PCers

tu2

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the barrel length on this one?

I can only echo all the other comments by saying what a wonderful looking rifle this is. I wish the owner the best of luck hunting with this beauty.

stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well done Duane. How is the barrel bedded?

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's not ugly; except for the scope which, as others have already pointed out, is ugly. I'm working on a full stock 35 Whelen right now. I can only wish it would be that pretty. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3506 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's beautiful. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Steve

Posts: 1721 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nathan: bedded like a normal half stock...from normal fore end tip location, as close to free floating as I can get without gaps

Bill: compromise here (as in all things) this is a 1-8. We wanted to keep as trim as possible and still have a decent exit pupil. A 24 mm objective @ 8X will give 3 mm...adequate...