New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Rescue!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is another one of the 6 "rescue" rifles I've bought over time here on AR. This one was a pre-64 Model 70 in 458 Win Mag that had a broken stock. I sent it down to Mike at Bijou Creek along with one of the many stock blanks I had bought from Singleshotguy. Mike dolled it up to match the other 5 rifles, with a quarter rib, NECG Masterpiece Express sights, short forend, forend tip, barrel band swivel mount, and red recoil pad. He also converted the chamber to 458 Lott.

One more to go...a 404 Jeffery on a Model 70 Classic RUM action.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.
I'm more than partial to dolls like that !

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs, You did very well. A nice rifle!

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fine rescue for sure!
Zeke

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Great job. Bringing it to Zambia?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew, I'm just along for the ride this time to check out a camp with a booking agent. Friends want to take Buff and Sable. I'll just bring my Blaser in 375. I'll bring it when I make it over your way for Buff...or maybe its big brother in 505!

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A beauty.

Looks like new bottom metal as well.

What is the drop at the heel on that stock?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed!

Whose bottom metal?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe it's the original, but not 100% positive.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle...Enjoy!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another beauty Biebs. Hope you get to use it to down something.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"I believe it's the original, but not 100% positive."

Its either Blackburn (Now made by Swift Bullets Company) or Wiebe. That one appears to be a Blackburn.

Whichever it is, Whoever did the work did a beautiful job of mating the curve of the trigger with the inside curve of the rear of the trigger guard.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice , especially the guarter rib with express sights ! You say you have six that match this style ? Wow , Impressive collection !

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
505 Gibbs, 458 Lott, 404 Jeffery, 338 Win Mag, 300 H&H, 7mm Mauser :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Lott and the .338 are two fairly non-traditional, recent, cartridges amongst an traditional line up.

Can I ask what made you decide on your cartridge selections.

Are these just your favorites on their specific catagories ?, or was it more dictated by the action lengths being used ?

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, these were actions or, in the case of the 338 and 458 Lott, barreled actions I bought here on AR. I left the chamberings as they were.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another GREAT looking rifle Biebs!!

Posts: 680 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great looking rifle. Overall nicely balanced.

Posts: 239 | Location: branson mo | Registered: 28 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another GREAT looking rifle Biebs!!

Another one of your stock blanks put to use!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll just bring my Blaser in 375

here you go and get a nice rifle built and then take a blaser homer barf 2020 killpc cuckoo

Posts: 13441 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I couldn't get my Mossberg to shoot better than 12" at 50 yards. Go figure! :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,

This is another rescue job, albeit a very old one. Back in about 1971 or 2, I bought a pre-64 Model 70 from a fellow patron of the same gunsmith I used. It was marked .375 H&H, but had been rechambered by the owner, who fancied himself something of an amateur gunsmith, to .375 Ackley Improved. The result was .021" excessive headspace. Moreover, the rifle had been fitted with an Apex side mount and a Lyman Alaskan scope.

I soon discovered that the side mount was a joke. Because the rings had been unable to grip the scope enough to prevent it sliding under recoil, they had been drilled and tapped and a groove had been filed in the scope tube to accept the set screws, which were supposed to solve the problem. I decided that drastic action was called for.

I shipped the rifle back to Winchester with the request that they replace barrel and receiver and return the old barrel and receiver to me. In those days, Winchester was still willing and able to meet such requests, and in due course the rifle returned. I now had a spare, somewhat mutilated Model 70 magnum receiver, what to do with it?

I was able to cannibalize another Model 70 for parts to reassemble an action on the receiver. The cannibalized rifle was sent to Winchester and returned with new parts installed.

The rescued receiver was rebarreled in .450 Watts Magnum, the predecessor of your Lott, and was fitted with a Griffin and Howe side mount, using the holes previously used by the Apex mount. The Lyman Alaskan scope was returned to Lyman, who completely rebuilt it, using a new tube in the process, and changed the reticle to a post and cross wire. The completed barreled action was sent to Reinhard Fajan to have a stock fitted, using "semi-fancy" wood.

The resulting rifle was entirely satisfactory, and accompanied me to Africa on my next trip, in 1975. It still occupies a place of honor in my gun room.

It is entirely utilitarian, making no claim to the elegance your rifle displays, but is one I would not hesitate to take with me under the most adverse of circumstances, a true "working rifle".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great save! A pre-64 in 375 is a jewel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,
That is a great 404, love the stock deminsions. that's the way a DG rifle should be, and it will still work with a scope and QD mounts such as a Griffen and Howe or Talley..Ive shot low combs with a scope for years and never noticed any perceived problems that crop up on these blogs..Again a super nice DG rifle, you done did go! beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks you sir! This one is the 458 Lott, but the 404J is coming right behind it, with a nicer stick of wood.

BTW, here's the matching 505 Gibbs.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
was the rib added or was it rebarreled with a new barrel with integral rib?

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure...I let Mike do his thing.