THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Defiance Machine - new control round feed action
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Defiance Machine - new control round feed action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have one of Defiance Machines new controlled round feed action in hand?

I'd love to hear any thoughts or impressions if you own one or had the opportunity to check one out.

Not much info up on the web with respect to this action....unfortunately.

Best,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That seems like an odd move, but perhaps not. Defiance has been making actions for accuracy rifles, which are not generally CRF actions. Perhaps they see a niche in providing safari rifle actions, ala Granite Mountain, Prechtl, etc, which need to be CRF to be successful. Depending on the price point, might not be a bid move.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
That seems like an odd move, but perhaps not. Defiance has been making actions for accuracy rifles, which are not generally CRF actions. Perhaps they see a niche in providing safari rifle actions, ala Granite Mountain, Prechtl, etc, which need to be CRF to be successful. Depending on the price point, might not be a bid move.

Exactly what I was thinking. Big company (as far as building actions goes) who just expanded into new larger facility & equipment and might be looking to get into different sections of the market....(?)

Hell if they ever figure out how to spin out magnum and kurtz sized M98s at the Defiance level quality with a lower price..... I'd think they would do rather well for themselves.

Not much info out there on this action as yet so I have little to go on. Looks interesting to me but it would need to be toned down with respect to the "tactical" look.....IMHO

Biebs....with all the rifles you have owned and sold here on AR I figured you'd be the one guy that might have grabbed one of these!! Big Grin

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, I've never found the tactical side of fireamrs very appealing. A Benelli Nova Tactical with mag extension, ghost ring, and light are about as much as I need.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope to have one by August/September. Did a Defiance Group Buy a few months ago and went with their CRF option as well as the new 3-pos. safety they offer. I chose their Rebel model in CM, which is the least "tactical" looking. (Basically looks like a Remington 700.)

Eager to get the project underway - 400 H&H Mag., NECG irons, English walnut, EAW bases/rings, etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ninersfan,

Sounds really cool! Love the idea of a 400 H&H. Please keep us posted as the project mover forward...!!!

One of the things Defiance is doing that I think is really cool is that they are offering their actions with a series of options. Pick whatever you want and they can deliver the action with your specs in only a few months.

I hope that Defiance will develop their CRF to a point where there is the option of a Mauser 98 type variant. If they could do that with their quality, turn around and decent price they would have a good number of customers IMHO....

Many magnum Mausers are well over 3k if not 5k in the white with a long wait for delivery.

Best,
Dave

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
IMO, it's a good looking action with exception of the scalloped bolt handle.

Not mine.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure if anyone knows of the mausingfield by ARC

http://www.americanrifle.com/M...eld-Bolt-Action.html

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Left hand option I hope...

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Matt Wimmer
posted Hide Post
Anyone have recent experience with Defiance and the CRF?

I'm a lefty and they seem to be one of the few CRF manufacturers out there, but when I recently checked their website, the CRF and 3-position safety options aren't currently available. Have they stopped manufacturing?

I've sent an e-mail to their sales department a week ago, to find out if it's a temporary delay or if they have stopped altogether, but haven't heard anything back.

If Defiance is no longer manufacturing, what are some other manufacturers to consider? TIA!

Posts: 3 | Location: Crozet, VA | Registered: 25 June 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its probably like any other business. They need to know their market in order to invest in the tooling and engineering necessary to make and sell the product at a profit.

People are very good at explaining what they want here on AR. Maybe write the same thing in a letter and send it to the company. If they hear from enough people what they want the company might be interested in ramping up production. And of course, the more volume the better economy of scale - and a lower price to the consumer.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Mr. UltraMag-
Yeah. Sounded great. But, looks nothing like a 98 or even a Springfield. Rem 700-ish more than anything IMO.
quote:
Originally posted by UltraMag:

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm just sure the bolt handle and knob will give you huge erection! Chuckle chuckle chuckle
None will be in my safe for sure.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidC:
Many magnum Mausers are well over 3k if not 5k in the white with a long wait for delivery.

Best,
Dave

I ordered a LH standard magnum Mauser from Granite Mountain in spring of '19... I understand it is almost ready to ship. $3000 for the action.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Currently having a 6.5 Creedmoor built on a Mausingfield action. Long range sporting rifle... custom? Yep I guess. Classic? No... should be a shooter though.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
quote:

I'm just sure the bolt handle and knob will give you huge erection! Chuckle chuckle chuckle
None will be in my safe for sure.

That thing is uglier than a bag full of assholes!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had much prefer one of Stu Satterlies.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
The CRF offering has been around 4 or 5 years. We got 2 straight out of the gate right when they came out.
They went thru and extractor revision early on which is now corrected. It was a cone face on the extractor and it worked but wasn't reliable, so they dumped the cone idea and went back to the square shouldered extractor like a Mauser, far far better.

Other than that, great action, very nicely made. As I understand it any of the receiver designs can be ordered with the CRF bolt and 3 position safety, which by the way is a really nice 3 position safety with a really clever anti rotation lock on the safety shroud, kudos to Defiance on that one.

It's a very good action in my opinion. Well worth the coin they command.

Posts: 1207 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
o those that want the "lock"on the safety lever, Recknagel has offered it for some years.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Sorry, never even held one in my hands.
Curiosity made a second look imminent. Still not my cup of tea in appearance, yet since Stuart gave it a thumbs up, I had to at least take a look at the description. Seems to be well thought out and a fine detailed description and some actual catastrophic action tests goes a long way in my book. The link below makes a fine read on this action.
Worth a pursuit if you like the design.
https://www.americanrifle.com/...action-2?category=15

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like $250 worth of ugly.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
250 deposit

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Hahahahaha... yep $250 is the deposit, depending on the action they ran around $1300 to $1800 when I ordered mine.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure he was referring to the Defiance CRF action, not the Mauser/Enfield/Remington monstrocity (IMHO).

quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Curiosity made a second look imminent. Still not my cup of tea in appearance, yet since Stuart gave it a thumbs up, I had to at least take a look at the description. Seems to be well thought out and a fine detailed description and some actual catastrophic action tests goes a long way in my book. The link below makes a fine read on this action.

Posts: 559 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does the action come with a magazine box and bottom metal assembly?

Posts: 657 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Oh. Thought they were one in the same. I only looked at the offerings on the ARC site. No Defiance CRF there, just a Mausingfield and two other models.
BTW, that stock they offer - Arggggh. So, that's where all our soda bottles go. Just fooling. You like it, good for you, whatever suits your needs.
quote:
Originally posted by MNR:
I'm pretty sure he was referring to the Defiance CRF action, not the Mauser/Enfield/Remington monstrocity (IMHO).

quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
No.
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:
Does the action come with a magazine box and bottom metal assembly?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a growing demand for CRF in the PRS world. I have shot several matches and chuckled at folks who have everything from feeding issues to their remington bolt shroud unscrewing itself.

I don't shoot it much, so I borrow a friends Stiller, but I keep threatening to show up with a Mauser.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1468 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
There is a growing demand for CRF in the PRS world. I have shot several matches and chuckled at folks who have everything from feeding issues to their remington bolt shroud unscrewing itself.

I don't shoot it much, so I borrow a friends Stiller, but I keep threatening to show up with a Mauser.

When CRFs start showing up in the winners list, I might pay attention.

That said, I have a Mod 70 CRF stainless with a Benchmark barrel and laminated stock in .338 Edge. Shot it yesterday at 500 and hit my 2.5 inch aiming square (1/2 MOA for wind); shot it today at 860 and didn't do quite as well (1/2 MOA high and 2" left with a 3/4 wind hold). It is super accurate, but my next build will probably be a Defiance push feed. Happy with Stiller and Borden, but keep seeing Defiance all over the place.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
Looks like $250 worth of ugly.

Dave

Not for me, but other than the bolt handle, looks fairly normal to me. Appears to have a floating bolt head, which another "fugly" action uses that happens to be super accurate out the box: the Savage.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
When CRFs start showing up in the winners list, I might pay attention.

I don’t need to worry about showing up on that list any time soon, so it doesn’t much matter to me. dancing

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1468 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote