THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Follow up on Custom Rifle Stock Repair
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Follow up on Custom Rifle Stock Repair
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In 2017, I began work on a stock blank that had significant natural flaws and recorded the process which can be found here: http://forums.accuratereloadin...731087232#1731087232

Unfortunately the images have since expired however the progress was also maintained here for those that are interest that can be found here: https://imgur.com/gallery/U6F3u

This year I began working on the stock blank further and thought I'd show the progress since then with a finished stock using Penetrol Oil 50/50 With Mineral Terps and going to 1200 grit paper, no filling of pores were used. I began with 180 and worked down to 320, 800 before finishing on the 1200 grit.

Right Side of the blank, Here is a majority of the repairs were done and couldn't be picked out unless pointed out.

Left Side of the blank, showing my execution of an English style cheekpiece. In the background you can see a .404 J with Wiebe bottom metal.

Here's another photo from the same side at a different angle to highlight the cheek piece.

And for those doubters, good luck finding the repairs without having been pointed out to them earlier. Even with close examination while rotating it in the sunlight there's no distinction from "plug" and blank. You're all welcome to come down to Australia and take a look for yourself. Meanwhile bore damage is so simple to repair and is not an issue to the aesthetics of the finished stock.

Posts: 67 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Beautiful repair on a stunning piece of wood!

Posts: 425 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That piece of wood was certainly worthy of the effort put in to repair it!
Stunning, and beautifully worked.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Drop dead gorgeous. It takes a real pro to repair problems that become undetectable.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote