New
Find
Notify
Tools

H&H Scope rings
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am seeking guidance from someone who has actually installed an H&H ring and base system on a bolt action rifle. I am trying to retrofit new 30mm H&H-style rings to an M98 originally fitted with 26mm rings by H&H. The H&H installed rings mount the center of the scope about .030" from the center of the bore, & this allows for the scope to be adjusted for windage. After fitting the new, 30mm rings to the bases, I discovered the center of a 30mm scope tube was .125" to the left of the center of the bore. Obviously, this prevents zeroing the scope for windage. I have yet to determine how to move the scope over the center of the bore. The locking lugs on the bottom of the rings could be milled offset, I suppose, but the installation would look bad & be questionable.

I have searched about H&H's proprietary system to no avail & would appreciate any knowledgable assistance. Many thanks.

Posts: 465 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a postscript. I have never measured but believe M1 C/D scope mounts positioned the scope well to the left of the center of the bore. If you're familiar with these, how was the offset, central axis of the scope brought in line with the center of the bore? Thanks. Roger

Posts: 465 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you spoken with Ian Clark in the UK? He makes them and I would think he may have the answer. I'm getting ready to order a set of them from him but have yet to install them on a bolt gun. I have built the H&H style bases for a single shot and on those you drift the base for offset(I think the H&H system works this way on the rear bridge). I believe the front is adjusted by the depth of the radius cut for the side wall. On a retro fit I would think you would need to either cut a new front base to match your ring or make a ring with the correct offset for the existing base.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry about it. Sight in as normal but 1/8" to the left. It will make no difference for hunting.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've installed these...kind pf a PIA and requires careful measurements.

Guess the Brits jus couldn't' bring themselves to admit the German claw mount worked plumb swell so they designed this ass backward system

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I bought the rings from Ian and have asked him about the installation. He is to ask a friend who works at Rigby for advice.

quote:
Originally posted by skb:
Have you spoken with Ian Clark in the UK? He makes them and I would think he may have the answer. I'm getting ready to order a set of them from him but have yet to install them on a bolt gun. I have built the H&H style bases for a single shot and on those you drift the base for offset(I think the H&H system works this way on the rear bridge). I believe the front is adjusted by the depth of the radius cut for the side wall. On a retro fit I would think you would need to either cut a new front base to match your ring or make a ring with the correct offset for the existing base.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Reto. He did a complete H&H system on a custom 458 Lott for me. Fantastic work!

https://www.customsportingarms...and%20engravings.htm

Also JJ made some rings for me on a Rigby with H&H mounts. The rings were missing when I bought the rifle. Fantastic work also.

https://jjperodeau.com/

Posts: 385 | Location: So. Nevada | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. I contacted Reto and he provided the assistance required. He was very helpful & enabled me to complete the project.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you share with us what you did to get the new rings to line up correctly?

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote