THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Looking for Info on a Custom Gunsmith - Vincent Linarello
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Info on a Custom Gunsmith - Vincent Linarello
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have any of you knowledge of a custom gunsmith by the name of Vincent Linarello? I came across a very nicely done Springfield 1922 M2 that had been restocked and, I think, rebarreled and is now set up as a target rifle with scope bases for a Unertl or Lyman scope with adjustable mounts and Redfield target front and rear sights. It is labeled as Number 27, which suggests to me that this smith didn't do many rifles.

Have any of you heard of this maker before or encountered any of his work and, if so, can you comment on the quality?

Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The name does not ring a bell so afraid I can't help you there, but and chance we could see a picture of the rifle? What time frame would you guess the work was done?

Thanks,
John

Posts: 545 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GG:

No photos, I'm sorry to say.

Based on the forend tip, which was attached with a 45 degree joint, I'd say 60s or 70s for the manufacture period. Seems late for a custom 1922, but I'd guess an older shooter might have chosen that as a starting point over a Winchester 52 or a Remington 40x.

Rem

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea, once the Winchester got a good trigger, and the Rem 37 became available, I don't think there were many smallbore shooters still using the 1922. Not that I was around then, but based on old match results and magazine adds from the time.

I've got a Rodgers stocked Titherington barreled 1922 target rifle used with much success by Arthur Hart of Hart Arms in the early 30's. Even at that time most other smallbore shooters were using the 52 or a BSA Martini.

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This one caught my interest because I have a custom Springfield 1922 which a now deceased ACGG member named Gary Stiles converted to .22 Hornet, rebarreled and restocked. It's a beautiful piece and this custom .22 would make a fine companion for it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Remington40x:
This one caught my interest because I have a custom Springfield 1922 which a now deceased ACGG member named Gary Stiles converted to .22 Hornet, rebarreled and restocked. It's a beautiful piece and this custom .22 would make a fine companion for it.

1922 Hornet? Now you are talking my language.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that a Griffin & Howe conversion?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Remington40x:
Is that a Griffin & Howe conversion?

This one is a Hart Arms. It does have an internal magazine, but it is not as well done as the G&H magazines. It is similar to the Sedgley magazine.

John