THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Matched Dakotas Delivered (Five + Years in the Making)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Matched Dakotas Delivered (Five + Years in the Making)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Everyone the wait is over! Chic (Customstox) yesterday afternoon delivered my son, Tyler, and I’s matching rifles. This is a process that was eventually decided upon over five years ago. Many of you will remember the details and heartache caused by Hein etc. that delayed this project.

Particulars of our rifles are as follows.

Dakota actions trued, milled and custom touches by Jim Dubell at Delta Gunshop.
Barrels bored, cut rifled, chambered and contoured by Clearwater Boring & Jim Dubell. 23 inches and chambered in 270 Winchester.
Bases custom built for Talley rings by Jim Dubell.
Stock blanks are Bastogne English Walnut . Chic took the blanks and created an American Classic style with ebony fore end tips, skeleton grip caps and leather covered recoil pads. Checkering is flor-de-lai (sp?) which was Tyler’s choice.
Rust bluing was done by Chic as well.
Scopes will be Leupold 6x's

After five years it was refreshing and gratifying to see Tyler still on pins and needles, counting the days until Thursday rolled around. Yes it took much longer then it needed to; yes the delays and Hein stealing our deposit for the original actions left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. But - these rifles are fantastic and ultimately exactly what we wanted.

We both are thrilled at how well the stocks ended up matching. Originally we agreed to each pick a blank that was our favorite and go with that but in the end we decided we wanted the wood and metal to match so we choose new blanks from Dressels in Yakima WA. Thanks to Chic for taking a day to travel there with me and pour over the hundreds of blanks they have. I am thrilled with how well they match. I don’t think we could expect better results. We are extremely happy with Jim Dubell’s work too. He took a great foundation, trued them up and added his own little touches and then custom contoured and cut rifled the barrels.

This weekend we will get scopes mounted and see how they shoot. I am going to start looking into getting the rifles professionally photographed too. Hopefully I will have better pictures to share soon.

Our next step is to take them hunting. We are planning a hunt in MT for pronghorn this fall.

I will post here a link to my Picasa album for those who are interested. https://picasaweb.google.com/h...7057/MatchedDakotas#

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
They look fantastic. I know it took awhile but you guys have the rest of your lives to enjoy.

Only negative I see is someone put the bolt on the left side of one of them. Big Grin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A matched pair, but in mirror image. That's cool!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful project and outcome. Congrats and thanks for the pictures.

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations those rifles are simply beautiful. Chic W. does outstanding work.

Posts: 29 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 10 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story, great pix. Beautiful rifles.
Thanks for sharing.
Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are beautiful examples of wood and blued steel!

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Simply stunning. Congratulations to all.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get them off the plywood! Geeeeeez !!!! :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
WOW!! They are like jewels.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!!!!!

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs, I expect that the pro photographer will come out with a better background to give justice to these beautiful works of art.
Stay well, buddy.

Posts: 134 | Location: Cebu, Philippines | Registered: 08 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, something like red velvet to bring out the red highlights in the wood!

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Wow, those are awesome. Great job Howard. Makes me think I should do something for my son like you have done.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Howard,

Those are truly beautiful. I'm sure you and your son are very proud owners.

For photography, I'd suggest contacting Charley Santoni of CS Sports.

http://www.riflestockpainting.com/

He does a little rifle photography on the side.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Worthing should use them on a poster .That is the most perfect advertising for a Master craftsman I ever saw.

Posts: 227 | Location: West Central Sask | Registered: 16 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifles and definitely worth waiting for!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Nice. Clean lines.

I applaud the fact:

1. You used a nice decent action

....and....

2. You didn't put iron sights on a .270 Win

Classy. Very classy.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Wow! they came out great. I remember the trials and tribulations of the whole Hein fiasco. It's great to see them finally come together.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is one for you Biebs.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of Tyler's first shots.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howard.

Its amazing how much Tyler has grown since you first started having these rifles made. He sure looks good sitting on that bench with his first custom rifle.

In addition to congratulations on the rifles I think congratulations are due you for being a great Dad. Not so much for buying your kid a custom rifle, but more for taking the time to be a good father. You both are lucky to have each other.

CONGRATULATIONS.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes he has grown for sure. WOW. Here he is from 2005.

PS that is Jimmy 223 in the background.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
He has done some growing! Those rifles are fantastic.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howard, it was well worth the wait,they are both awesome.
Damn,what ya feedin that kid Big Grin

Does he still pack a pocket full of knives, I think of our time together on that safari and the number of knives in his pocket.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Simply lovely!

Seeing one in the hands of Tyler showed the rifle's true grace and elegance.

Reminds me very much of the work done on the Ottmar rifle by Chick and company. Beautiful craftsmanship!

Congratulations!!!!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyd264:
Does he still pack a pocket full of knives, I think of our time together on that safari and the number of knives in his pocket.

Most of them have moved to a shelf he hung on his bedroom wall. His eyes still light up at mention of your name. He still talks about Jimmy and the knives you gave him. You created a life time impression upon him in a very positive way.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is one for you Jimmy. Do you still have that rifle?

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
I dunno Howard. I think I could become a switch shooter for both those rifles!

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howard, that little gun an I parted ways when a fellow Rat hunter offered my double what I had invested, worst deal I ever made, I still regret it.

Oh the memory of that hunt with you,Tyler, your dad and brother, it always puts a smile on my face thinking back.
Tyler impressed me so very much, his gun training/safety,it was pure pleasure sitting next to him. I hate to think what his ammo bill was for that hunt/now that kid could and shoot faster than greased lightin Big Grin
I still remember him and I walking and he had IIRC a single shot 20ga, hell I never got a walkin shot.

Again Howard congrats to you and Tyler, you waited long enough.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I don't remember ever seeing a left - right pair before. Great idea.

If you shoot together Tyler will have to be to your right or you'll be throwing brass at each other.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad that the sour grapes of the project didn't make it into the final tasting, this pair is beautiful! I love the left/right pairing idea. I think ultimately it was probably good it took a while, the dimensions of the stock fitted to him today should last him longer than if it'd been fitted to him 3 years ago.

You're a great dad, not because you bought him a fancy rifle, but because you obviously spend a lot of time with him. And I'd hazard that if guns and hunting wasn't his thing you'd still be encouraging and facilitating whatever it is he did enjoy. You are fortunate he loves the same things you do, I wish you both, and both rifles, much success and many years of shared experience.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyd264:
Howard, that little gun an I parted ways when a fellow Rat hunter offered my double what I had invested, worst deal I ever made, I still regret it.

Oh the memory of that hunt with you,Tyler, your dad and brother, it always puts a smile on my face thinking back.
Tyler impressed me so very much, his gun training/safety,it was pure pleasure sitting next to him. I hate to think what his ammo bill was for that hunt/now that kid could and shoot faster than greased lightin Big Grin
I still remember him and I walking and he had IIRC a single shot 20ga, hell I never got a walkin shot.

Again Howard congrats to you and Tyler, you waited long enough.

Nice pair of rifles Howard! Btw Jimmy, what was the comment you made to Howard when you first saw him on that rat hunt? fishing

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifles. Who inherits Dad's rifles? Do you have a righty waiting in the wings?

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I remember this from the very first...Glad it worked out. Sweet rifles!!!

Enjoy!!!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. Dempsey I have two daughters who shoot right handed...........maybe grand kids some day????

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really wanted your lh .270 till I saw the picture of Tyler at the bench.you are to be commended for setting your young men up for a life time of awesome shooting. Congratss to you!!

Posts: 54 | Location: Alb nm | Registered: 29 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got some professionally taken photos of the rifles recently.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
Simply fantastic. Especially to see your sons enjoyment in shooting these fine rifles,congrats!

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifles. Since your earlier posts of the rifles, I have started a matched set for my son and I, through the hands of James Anderson. I hope they turn out close to your pair. Again great rifles.

Posts: 295 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote