THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    ** FINALLY IDENTIFIED - ITS A LAWSON ** - "What kind of Custom FN Mauser did I buy?"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

** FINALLY IDENTIFIED - ITS A LAWSON ** - "What kind of Custom FN Mauser did I buy?"
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
** FINALLY IDENTIFIED - ITS A LAWSON ** - "What kind of Custom FN Mauser did I buy?"

(see later posts)

Hello all.

I just bought a strange Custom FN Mauser at auction. The strange features include a torpedo shaped bolt shroud and a trigger lock style safety behind the trigger, and a radical fancy stock.

Anyone ever see anything like this? Caliber is 416 Taylor.

Receiver says "FN" and the serial number starts with a "C"

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2099 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks sorta like the rifles Harry Lawson used to make. I think early on he used all kinds of actions.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Harry Lawson rifle, not to start any fights but a terrible way to treat a nice piece of walnut.

Posts: 59 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 01 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harry Lawson. I've seen that bolt shroud and trigger safety on his rifles with Remington and Winchester actions. The stock is definitely his pattern. I've never seen that wide grip cap from any other maker (not that I am anywhere near an expert).

Quite a piece of wood on that rifle. Thanks for sharing it.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by impala#03:
Looks sorta like the rifles Harry Lawson used to make. I think early on he used all kinds of actions.

Hello impapa#03,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes ... that's it! ... its a Harry Lawson Custom. I found this exact gun listed 11 years ago in a 2009 Morphy auction.

quote:
Originally posted by robert lerner:
Looks like a Harry Lawson rifle, not to start any fights but a terrible way to treat a nice piece of walnut.

Hello robert lerner,
Thanks for the reply.

I love those radical design rifles from the 70's. I used to collect Winslows.

quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
Harry Lawson. I've seen that bolt shroud and trigger safety on his rifles with Remington and Winchester actions. The stock is definitely his pattern. I've never seen that wide grip cap from any other maker (not that I am anywhere near an expert). Quite a piece of wood on that rifle. Thanks for sharing it. Jeremy

Hello farbedo,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes. ... This is the "fanciest" piece of wood on any rifle I own, or once owned.

** UPDATE ** 2/21/20
I just got a reply to my email inquiry to Randy Lawson (Harry Lawson's son) at Harry Lawson LLC. They are still in business having started 55 years ago back in the mid 1960s.
" ... This appears to be my father's Apache Sporter design stock of French Walnut (aka California English Walnut), probably made in the late 1970s. All the stock work would have been done in house. The customer probably furnished the barreled action and we fitted the stock to it as well as our bolt shroud and button safety. The bluing appears to be our Micro-Diamond finish. ..."

Posts: 2099 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one with that style of stock. I was fortunate to have David Christman straighten it out.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Make sure you hunt in period correct attire

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27587 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MY EYES!!! MY EYES!!! shocker

Anyone who sashayed into the woods dressed like that bunch of Ken dolls would more likely become the hunted, rather than the hunter. To paraphrase Sir Charles Ross' favourite remark, "The things you see when you DO have a gun...."

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I had one with that style of stock. I was fortunate to have David Christman straighten it out.

Hello butchlambert,
Thanks for the reply.

My condolences.

quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Make sure you hunt in period correct attire.

Hello boom stick,
Thanks for the reply.

That's my High School Year book photo.

quote:
Originally posted by cdsx:
MY EYES!!! MY EYES!!! shocker

Anyone who sashayed into the woods dressed like that bunch of Ken dolls would more likely become the hunted, rather than the hunter. To paraphrase Sir Charles Ross' favorite remark, "The things you see when you DO have a gun...."

Hello cdsx,
Thanks for the reply.

yep!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's my High School Year book photo.

dancing

Those were the days

Posts: 19290 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
https://www.google.com/search?...iw=375&bih=626&dpr=3

click the link if you want to relive the 70s fashion or just do an image search of “Plaid Stallions”

Just a sample popcorn

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27587 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Just looked at this thread for the first time and knew the instant I saw it that this was a Lawson gun. I love it! The swing’n 70s!

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I way too conservative for a Lawson or a WBY, but do appreciate the excellent workmanship and beautifull wood, Lawson was an artisian..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyPhD:
Just looked at this thread for the first time and knew the instant I saw it that this was a Lawson gun. I love it! The swing’n 70s!

Hello JeffreyPhD
Thanks for the reply.

Funny thing is - I couldn't afford this gun in the 70's.

quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I way too conservative for a Lawson or a WBY, but do appreciate the excellent workmanship and beautiful wood, Lawson was an artisian..

Hello Atkinson,
Thanks for the reply.

You should buy one anyway - You will grow to like it.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the fishtailed recoil pad, tho.......

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38348 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
the fishtailed recoil pad, tho.......

Hello jefferosso
Thanks for the reply.

I think thats a carry-over from the Custom 1960s Winslow look, as seen on my 378 WBY Brevex Winslow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I way too conservative for a Lawson or a WBY, but do appreciate the excellent workmanship and beautifull wood, Lawson was an artisian..

I agree

Posts: 19290 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

I agree

Me too but it's just wild enough to look interesting to me. I'm more intrigued than repulsed. (I don't know what that says about me. LOL)

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't Sterling Davenport work for Harry Lawson at one time ? I think Harry designed and built his stock duplicator and lots of other innovative machines. Best I remember he helped Davenport build his stock duplicator.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I agree

Hello p dog shooter
Thanks for the reply

quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
Me too but it's just wild enough to look interesting to me. I'm more intrigued than repulsed. (I don't know what that says about me. LOL)

Zeke

Hello ZekeShikar,
Thanks for the reply.

I agree with you

quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman:
Didn't Sterling Davenport work for Harry Lawson at one time ? I think Harry designed and built his stock duplicator and lots of other innovative machines. Best I remember he helped Davenport build his stock duplicator.

Hello Craftsman,
Thanks for the reply.

That would be interesting to know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lawson rifles are a great example of radical, even grotesque, styling, done very well. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3472 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
The Lawson rifles are a great example of radical, even grotesque, styling, done very well. Regards, Bill.

Hello Bill Leeper,
Thanks for the reply.

I couldn't have said it better!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My how our tastes have changed. These pictures remind me of my very first “custom” Mauser. Go back to pre-1970...Paid $15 for a Spanish 93 Mauser and sent it off to Federal Firearms Company (I think that was the name or something similar) to rebarrel in 7x57. Got it back and ordered a stock like those above from Bishop, I believe. That was one cool rifle! Used it for a number of years and traded it for a Remington 700 ADL in 6mm Remington. Still have it.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 928 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
sent it off to Federal Firearms Company (I think that was the name or something similar) to rebarrel in 7x57.

First rifle I ever built around 1970 I used a "Star" barrel by Federal Firearms Co. Chambered it in .220 Swift. It was very accurate. I killed no telling how many coyotes, a few bobcats, couple of whitetails and one mule deer with it. I finally shot the barrel out after many rounds. I sent the barrel to Bob Snapp (Guild member) and he rebored it to .257. I then chambered it to 257 Roberts Improved. It too was highly accurate.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:
My how our tastes have changed. These pictures remind me of my very first “custom” Mauser. ....

Hello Uncle Grinch,
Thanks for the reply.

Custom rifles like these were indeed popular in the 60's and 70's.

quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman: First rifle I ever built around 1970 I used a "Star" barrel by Federal Firearms Co. ... It too was highly accurate.

Hello Craftsman,
Thanks for the reply.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Cabelas in El Paso has a Lawson thumbhole that I ordered from another Cabelas.

It is a 264 Win on a 700 action, I think it is $1200.

If it wasn't shot out, I'd buy it.

He was a hell of a craftsman, but the appeal of his thumbhole and apache style stocks aren't wide spread.

He also made (and his son continues to make) a classic stock that is a really good looking version.

Craftsmanship, but designs don't suit everyone.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sterling did work for Harry in the middle '70's.Sterling worked for Harry after he got out of the Navy.I went to CST with Sterling, and he did all classic stocks in school.He and another student Steve Fisher were the best checkerers I have every seen, it just came natural to those 2 guys.Sterling went back to Prescott, and last I heard he had retired. His son worked with him but I understand he took up another profession after Sterling retired.

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sterling did work for Harry in the middle '70's.Sterling worked for Harry after he got out of the Navy.I went to CST with Sterling, and he did all classic stocks in school.He and another student Steve Fisher were the best checkerers I have every seen, it just came natural to those 2 guys.Sterling went back to Prescott, and last I heard he had retired. His son worked with him but I understand he took up another profession after Sterling retired.

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread.

There is a Gun Digest book ' Riflesmithing ' by Jack Mitchell that has several chapters featuring Sterling Davenport and his work. I met him at a Fort Worth gun show once back in the 1980 's and later at the Dallas Safari Club. A first rate gentleman.

Craftsman

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I have always wanted a Lawson rifle (filling my bucket list of things that I lusted after as a kid and now can buy). Let me know if you get sick of it...

Posts: 568 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buckstix: You sure do have a wide variety of tastes of rifles. Personally, I much prefer the classic style, but I do remember the days from my childhood when I lusted after a Mark V. I couldn't afford it working at $2.65/hr as a dishwasher so I instead bought a Parker-Hale.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Buckstix: You sure do have a wide variety of tastes of rifles. Personally, I much prefer the classic style, but I do remember the days from my childhood when I lusted after a Mark V. I couldn't afford it working at $2.65/hr as a dishwasher so I instead bought a Parker-Hale.

$2.65 an hour? Hah! Luxury, sheer luxury! My first part-time after-school pay was $17.92 a week in '74. Put together enough to buy a brand new, never-issued Ljungman 6.5x55. The wood was blond, the brass disc was shiny and the buttplate wasn't even scuffed. Came with a tool roll and other extras I can't remember. Total price: $85. The guy had a truckload of them. Used ones were $65. Bought an equally beautiful .32ACP Star for $75. The priciest thing on his rack was a $400 FN-FAL, although he did say he could get me a Broomhandle Mauser with matching wooden stock/holster for that amount, too. Oh to go back in time with a fist full of bucks and a shopping list!

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

Hello AnotherAZWriter,
Thanks for the reply.

In 1965, my first job at age 14 was $0.85/hour. That same year I saved my money and I sold monogram Christmas cards to pick a prize from their prize list - to get my first gun. I picked a single-shot bolt action 410 shotgun, which I traded-in before shooting it, for a 20ga bolt action 3-shot Mossberg with a poly-choke. I had to pay an additional $19 from my savings to get it. My Dad was not impressed. I wish I had listened to his advice. He said I should get a lot while I was young. I didn't know he meant real-estate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

In 1965, my first job at age 14 was $0.85/hour. That same year I saved my money and I sold monogram Christmas cards to pick a prize from their prize list - to get my first gun. I picked a single-shot bolt action 410 shotgun, which I traded-in before shooting it, for a 20ga bolt action 3-shot Mossberg with a poly-choke. I had to pay an additional $19 from my savings to get it. My Dad was not impressed. I wish I had listened to his advice. He said I should get a lot while I was young. I didn't know he meant real-estate.[/QUOTE]

I wish I'd learned that exact lesson back then too. When I was young and part-time, I bought guns. When I got a full-time career, it was cars with an exponential number of cylinders. No one ever sat me down and taught me the importance of laying a good foundation for a secure future by getting my own real estate first. I could have retired on full pension (back when a pension was worth something) at 56 and lived in comfort, surrounded by my toys. Where's the Wayback Machine now that we actually need one?

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cdsx
I wish I'd learned that exact lesson back then too. When I was young and part-time, I bought guns. When I got a full-time career, it was cars with an exponential number of cylinders. No one ever sat me down and taught me the importance of laying a good foundation for a secure future by getting my own real estate first. I could have retired on full pension (back when a pension was worth something) at 56 and lived in comfort, surrounded by my toys. Where's the Wayback Machine now that we actually need one?

Hello cdsx,
Thanks for the reply.

I screwed up even more in the late 1970's. I bought a 40 acre plot for $3,600, and sold it for $10,000. Then I bought another 40 for $4,000, and sold it for $12,000. Then I never bought any more land after that. Now, here in Central Wisconsin, 40s are going for $6,000 per acre - $240,000. I should have kept one of those.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread.

There is a Gun Digest book ' Riflesmithing ' by Jack Mitchell that has several chapters featuring Sterling Davenport and his work. I met him at a Fort Worth gun show once back in the 1980 's and later at the Dallas Safari Club. A first rate gentleman.

Jack Mitchell was in School with Sterling and myself also Wayne Novak (pistol sights),Jack and Sterling were good friends, both Veterans. Jack wrote several other Gun Digest books that featured some other guy we went to school with. Jack retired and was living in GA last I heard, those were the days, we had a lot of fun in school.I enjoyed being with such talent.

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote