New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about Jerry Fisher
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been offered a collection of Jerry Fisher rifles from a gentleman in Colorado. I am new to the higher end custom builders.
Tell me about Jerry Fisher...

Thanks

Posts: 10095 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry Fisher is about as well known as any custom stockmaker in the US. He's been at it for more than 50 years and has been called the Dean of American Gunsmiths. He is now in his 80s. His work is peerless and absolutely first class. I am fortunate to know Jerry and he is a fine gentleman. Sight unseen, I would no reservations about recommending anything he has built. To be as good as Jerry Fisher is what the rest of us stockmakers aspire to be.

Look at his rifles for sale on www.gunsinternational.com and www.hallowell.com and you see his used rifles sell for much more than seemingly equal quality work from others.

Posts: 465 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat:

No offense, but you have not read either of Jim Carmichel's books, have you? You bring up names that he practically holds up there with JC himself. Some actually post on AR. I feel divine myself just seeing their posts.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not have any of Jerry's work, but have visited with him a few times lately. He is a very fine gentleman.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Dogcat:

No offense, but you have not read either of Jim Carmichel's books, have you? You bring up names that he practically holds up there with JC himself. Some actually post on AR. I feel divine myself just seeing their posts.

I have not read Carmichael. I will get a couple of his books. I am not very familiar with him.

Posts: 10095 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:
Dogcat:

I have not read Carmichael. I will get a couple of his books. I am not very familiar with him.

And I thought you were a gun guy.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slowly getting there....

According to my wife, I know too much...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The late Jack O'Connor was a very popular shooting editor for Outdoor Life Magazine. He was above all a marvelous story teller, avid hunter and gun savvy.

He always had an eye out for promising gunmaking talent and he featured Al Biesen, Dale Goens, Jerry Fisher and others in his columns.

I;m sicking my neck out a bit, but he was most likely the single diving force in fine gun and custom gun appreciation.

Upon retirement, Jim Carmichel took over the position and tried to keep the "ball rolling. Jim was perhaps more technological minded than even O'Conner and his knowledge shared in his books are to be sought out and treasured

My understanding is that columns on individual gunmakers did not generate advertising dollars, so the emphasis on new talent took a back seat.

Stuart Williams (Guns Magazine) did plenty of fine writing about custom guns and Steve Hughes is one of the latest writers that's featuring custom guns and their makers

The work of all these men and many others, I don't have to room to mention are "require reading" for anyone with an interest in fine guns and custom guns

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
The late Jack O'Connor was a very popular shooting editor for Outdoor Life Magazine. He was above all a marvelous story teller, avid hunter and gun savvy.

He always had an eye out for promising gunmaking talent and he featured Al Biesen, Dale Goens, Jerry Fisher and others in his columns.

I;m sicking my neck out a bit, but he was most likely the single diving force in fine gun and custom gun appreciation.

Upon retirement, Jim Carmichel took over the position and tried to keep the "ball rolling. Jim was perhaps more technological minded than even O'Conner and his knowledge shared in his books are to be sought out and treasured

My understanding is that columns on individual gunmakers did not generate advertising dollars, so the emphasis on new talent took a back seat.

Stuart Williams (Guns Magazine) did plenty of fine writing about custom guns and Steve Hughes is one of the latest writers that's featuring custom guns and their makers

The work of all these men and many others, I don't have to room to mention are "require reading" for anyone with an interest in fine guns and custom guns

"You bring up names that he practically holds up there with JC himself. Some actually post on AR. I feel divine myself just seeing their posts."

Example above. Carmichel mentions Duane here:

Modern Rifle, pages 305,306,307,314-315,316

Book of the Rifle, pages 89-90,112,113

Well put Duane; Carmichel is probably the only big time hunting writer to grace the cover of the now defunct "Precision Shooting" magazine wearing a shooting jacket. He not only wrote about hunting and guns, but competed extensively in a variety of disciplines from BR to 1000 yard prone. Friends tell me he is quite the shotgun master as well.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ross, you cannot own a collection of Fishers AND a Blazer. Sorry, that is just the way it is.

Posts: 712 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squeezenhope:
Ross, you cannot own a collection of Fishers AND a Blazer. Sorry, that is just the way it is.

Big Grin

DRSS

Posts: 1895 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squeezenhope:

That hurts.... I am still a padawan learner...

Give me time, Obi-wan, and I too will become a Jedi....

As to the Blaser, it is an intellectual pursuit.. How could Rigby go thru all of the disasters, even with Boddington's help, and now are owner by Blaser???? Seems the Rigby and Mauser folks must like the Blaser....

Honestly, I am having fun learning about all of this as I am late in the game getting started. So, I appreciate the patience and help from all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There IS merit to homework

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stuart Williams (Guns Magazine) did plenty of fine writing about custom guns

I was very sad when Guns Magazine stopped publishing Custom Gun articles by Stuart Williams. I saved many of those issues and still go back and read them to this day.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom Turpin (T2) used to post on AR once in a while. He wrote about custom guns and took some very excellent photos. I bought a shotgun from him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never owned a Fisher rifle but of all the reading about him and the photos of his work I will say that his stocks are some of the (if not the most) beautiful stocks by anyone

Posts: 759 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tom Turpin (T2) used to post on AR once in a while. He wrote about custom guns and took some very excellent photos. I bought a shotgun from him.

You are right about Tom. I bought a set of French walnut for my Hyper Single from Tom. Wood was beautiful and priced right.
I will be talking to Jerry a little later today.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
owning blaser prevents you from even mentioning jerry fishers name shame

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I miss Tom's posts on AR. He was an invaluable contributor to this site.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7510 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):

"You bring up names that he practically holds up there with JC himself. Some actually post on AR. I feel divine myself just seeing their posts."

Example above. Carmichel mentions Duane here:

Modern Rifle, pages 305,306,307,314-315,316

Book of the Rifle, pages 89-90,112,113

Well put Duane; Carmichel is probably the only big time hunting writer to grace the cover of the now defunct "Precision Shooting" magazine wearing a shooting jacket. He not only wrote about hunting and guns, but competed extensively in a variety of disciplines from BR to 1000 yard prone. Friends tell me he is quite the shotgun master as well.

Carmichel is still an active and very good AR shooter. I get almost daily emails with a little politics or jokes.

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
I hope I’m not wrong, but I believe Mr. Echols whom post here apprenticed under him. Hopefully he can post here.

I met Jerry while I was in gunsmithing school, he took an interest in me and a project I had going on and we got to talk for a few hours. He said if he was a younger man I’d be serving an apprenticeship under him. Damn.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1017 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Met him once at the CST gun school when I was a kid.
I think he was in the "Evolution of the Classic Gunstock" video.
Jeez... You know you are a gun dork when you have a VHS of that packed somewhere...

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:
Dogcat:

And I thought you were a gun guy.

Its like asking a Western buffs who haven't heard of John Wayne....Whos he??..

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help and the encouragement....

Still getting educated and thanks to those with actual and factual help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ten years ago one came up in a local auction in .375 h&h. It was the finest rifle except a double I had ever touched.

I had a $1000 to my name in the world at the time, and it sold for $1100.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit surprised that no one mentioned my book Custom Rifles In Black & White that includes several pics of a special Jerry Fisher rifle as well as many other contemporary gunmakers.

The pic below is of Jerry and me on a deer hunt near the Musselshell River outside Roundup Montana in 2007. My whitetail has a 20" spread in comparison to Jerry's 3x3 monster mule deer. There is another decent 4x4 rack between the two.

There are pics of several Fisher rifles on my website some that I have brokered in the past. From pretty much any era, Fisher Rifles have set the benchmark for quality.

My favorite Fisher quote, "I don't do anything half-assed."

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1777 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talked to Jerry on Wed. or Thursday. I was able to get a guide for his checkering machine that he has been after for a long time. He is a pleasure to visit with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some nice Fisher rifles just popped up here-
http://www.hallowellco.com/new_arrivals.htm

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dogcat.
.... and the Jerry Fisher rifle collection?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for being so negligent in posting. I'll try to do better. Thanks for the nice comments.

On Jerry Fisher, there is no greater talent nor finer gentleman than Jerry.

TT

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tsquare2:
Sorry for being so negligent in posting. I'll try to do better. Thanks for the nice comments.

On Jerry Fisher, there is no greater talent nor finer gentleman than Jerry.

TT

Tom: great to see you posting again!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Mr. Dogcat.
.... and the Jerry Fisher rifle collection?

I am negotiating buying the entire collection myself. Sorry to be greedy, not!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go for it!

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Update appreciated.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did the deal. Will be making changes to my collection based on what I now have. Stay tuned for deals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats....he built great classic rifles!

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Incredible. Can’t wait to see the pictures.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, you got rid of the Blasers? If not it just wouldn't be right.

Posts: 712 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keeping the Blasers. But not in the same safe, they do not get along....