New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prechtl and GMA actions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In the other thread, Prechtl/Johanssen were mentioned, so thought might be interest in a comparison.
I must say the Prechtl feels trimmer than John's but this is the same length as for the 505 Gibbs,
so maybe not quite apples to applesSmiler Weight from a floor scale...

GMA is the Express Magnum setup for 416 Rigby,
Prechtl is Magnum Actin setup for the 404J.

max box
rear front length weight
GMA 1.047 0.860 3.923 3lb 13oz
Prechtl 0.947 0.812 3.756 3lb 13oz

Posts: 352 | Location: Florissant, Colorado  | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like how GMA and others broke from the original blueprint and moved the recoil lug forward on the mag action.
Although I still wouldn’t say that Mauser did anything wrong with the original.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Good grief. You’ve got some fine actions on hand my friend. Top stuff!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Significant difference in tang config.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The GMA tang DOES take care of slotting the wood and "blinds" the rear tang screw... Can't argue with either

The recoil lug placement, however, shuts off bottom metal choices.

Now..the GMA bolt handle reminds me of Meryl Streeps nose....Not bad looking just a litte too long

Posts: 3451 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Now..the GMA bolt handle reminds me of Meryl Streeps nose....Not bad looking just a litte too long

That's hilarious!

It should be noted when comparing these two actions, that you could buy two GMAs for the price of one Prechtl.

Posts: 571 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matthew,
You could get almost 3 GMAs for 1 Prechtl! (Import fees shipping etc add up).

I had a few weak moments...

John's actions are the best thing going. good quality, easy to do business with, 5 sizes to choose from and bottom metal options.

Posts: 352 | Location: Florissant, Colorado  | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!! I didn't realize they had gotten that expensive. I don't believe NECG is going to be importing them in the future (or at least that's what I recall Mark saying awhile back), so scarcity may make your "weak moment" purchase a good investment Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by steve505:
Matthew,
You could get almost 3 GMAs for 1 Prechtl! (Import fees shipping etc add up).

I had a few weak moments...

John's actions are the best thing going. good quality, easy to do business with, 5 sizes to choose from and bottom metal options.

Posts: 571 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont think the German action is available any more except as a completed gun.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2140 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just had a 505 built on a GMA action could not be happier, for what it's worth took 8 months to get

Posts: 1610 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MNR:
Wow!! I didn't realize they had gotten that expensive. I don't believe NECG is going to be importing them in the future (or at least that's what I recall Mark saying awhile back), so scarcity may make your "weak moment" purchase a good investment Smiler
[QUOTE]
NECG still has three Prechtl actions listed for sale on their website, all at $6500.00

Posts: 748 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, they have a handful available because someone had special ordered them quite awhile ago (when they still were importing them) but they backed out of the deal. I talked to Mark about one of them a couple weeks ago, and that price is a bargain compared to what one would cost to order today.
quote:
Originally posted by Gundog 64:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MNR:
[QUOTE]
NECG still has three Prechtl actions listed for sale on their website, all at $6500.00

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a .404 Jeffery 'small ring' magnum 98 action from GMA (including G33/40 lightening cuts, etc.) and Reto Buehler barreled it with a 23" PacNor barrel and stocked it with a piece of French walnut I have been hoarding for about 40 years. Total weight complete rifle without sling, ammo or scope is 8lbs., 14 oz. Ready to hunt it's 10lb. 1 oz.

The GM action can be pretty trim and makes a nice balanced rifle.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered that slim line ( small ring) action as well.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alec Torres

How long did it take to receive your action from GMA once it was ordered

Posts: 1610 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
Steve,
How about a comparison between the Prechtl action and the Satterlee.
John

Posts: 748 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Another option out there is Mayfair.
https://mayfairengineering.com/

We have one coming for a new 300 H&H build. Have not had a Prechtl yet. Have two guns built with Satterlee's which are excellent. Had a few extra Satterlee actions I sold. Might still have one left. We have a couple rifles with GMA which are great as well, but the gunmakers have told me they need a good bit more work than a Satterlee.

Mac

Posts: 1722 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundog 64:
Steve,
How about a comparison between the Prechtl action and the Satterlee.
John

John,
Good idea, I will.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
Alec Torres

How long did it take to receive your action from GMA once it was ordered

Ordered in February, 2019 and received in July (I think?) 2021. Smack in the middle of Covid. Also, what I ordered was a little different than the standard large ring magnum action. I admit to impatience at the time, but now that Reto has completed it, the rifle is excellent.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
Another option out there is Mayfair.
https://mayfairengineering.com/

We have one coming for a new 300 H&H build. Have not had a Prechtl yet. Have two guns built with Satterlee's which are excellent. Had a few extra Satterlee actions I sold. Might still have one left. We have a couple rifles with GMA which are great as well, but the gunmakers have told me they need a good bit more work than a Satterlee.
Hi McKay, Steve505 gave us a heads up about this post, if you have a Satterlee, we would love to get it. We are Matrix gunsmithing, I am the manager, and Tim is the owner, I think he is on here as well, but we have been looking for an action like this for a build we have coming up. Please let me know. Thank you

Posts: 4 | Location: Lake George, Co. | Registered: 26 April 2021Reply With Quote