New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fluting a barrel...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Visit Hart Barrels web site. They offer some interesting looking options for fluting. The spiral fluting always looked interesting to me.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
Visit Hart Barrels web site. They offer some interesting looking options for fluting. The spiral fluting always looked interesting to me.

Spiral fluting is absolutely the DUMBEST thing you can do from an engineering standpoint. Fluted barrels are stiffer for their weight than a round barrel of equal weight...unless the flutes are spirals. It total ruins the area moment of inertia. Why do you think they don't use spiral I beams in construction?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that spiral flute is pretty wild looking. I don't have an issue with fluting stainless/tupperwarre rifles.

I guess, at 65, I am just too old to embrace it on a blued steel and fine walnut rifle...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
that spiral flute is pretty wild looking. I don't have an issue with fluting stainless/tupperwarre rifles.

I guess, at 65, I am just too old to embrace it on a blued steel and fine walnut rifle...

That doesn't make my choice of rifles pretend rifles. Nor does your three safaris make you a better hunter or does it make your rifle choice more valid.

Posts: 2651 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChickenNose:
I thought 'ole Goat Scrotum face had a Jag?

ISS often spoke of his aluminium can XK, but he really admires the Bentley GT SS,
which btw has a fluted bonnet and enough carbon fibre in the car to make a few syn. Legend stocks,... rotflmo

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
chickennose,

you had your face in my scrotum again? I thought you were told to stick to small mammals.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
chuck,

you haven't been to Africa, is that what's making you so crabby?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
trax,

it has enough wood, which, unlike this alleged carbon fibre, not plastic, to provide several gun stocks. At least Bentley has enough class to hide it.

Get it straight, it would be a GTC Super Speed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ISS,
Firstly,your favored Bentley brand shares a platform with an ordinary volkswagen,is made under mass production techniques and any wood in a Bentley is just veneer.

quote:
Get it straight, it would be a GTC Super Speed.

For your information I did get it straight when I said GT-SS,...read below to see that clearly your memory is failing you.. rotflmo

quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter: posted 25 June 2013 22:36
My personal ideal car;Bentley GT SS...

the car you mention as your personal ideal car,...has carbon-fibre all around the cabin and seats, with not a piece of wood to be found.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
you are the one in need of correction.... I said GTC, which is the Grand Touring Convertible,

ISS,
clearly these here are your words...

quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter: posted 25 June 2013 22:36
My personal ideal car; Bentley GT SS ...

so its clear that you like a Bentley which has bonnet flutes and carbon fibre through the cabin.

quote:
Unless you are conversant enough with the Bentley to know that it shares the platform with the big BMW,

- The Bentley GT-SS uses the Volkswagen Group D1 platform.

quote:
Next, I expect you to tell me about the 16 cylinder engine it shares with the VW lineup.

The V12 that powers a production Bentley is sourced from parent group Volkswagen.
The V8 engines that power some production Bentleys are Audi derived,(Audi being part of Volkswagen)

The only production car I know of with a V16 is the Bugatti Veyron....and that engine was designed & developed by Volkswagen.

To the best of my knowledge, the only Bentley with the Volkswagen V16 is the Bentley Hunaudieres concept vehicle, which never made production.
The Audi Rosemeyer was another concept vehicle with the Volkswagen V16, but also never made production.
The Rolls-Royce 100EX concept car, had a V16 developed by BMW,that never made production...and BMW tested its V16 in the Bentley Mulsanne around early 90s.

quote:
... you should probably stick to more familiar matters.

Why, did I miss something?... fishing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
15 months ago. I want the convertible now, to park along side my Aventador Roadster.

thanks for the corrections.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of wood stocked rifles with fluted barrels: 25-06 M70 with fluted barrel.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
15 months ago. I want the convertible now, to park along side my Aventador Roadster.

thanks for the corrections.

This from a guy who makes car payments...

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ISS would spend his life paying-off the credit to cover just the cost of rubber & regular servicing for an Aventador.

Of course to hypothetically fill the garage of one dreams with all the luxury cars one desires,
costs nothing but the effort of the imagination.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
trax,

you are dead right on that one my friend.

The dealer in St Louis let me sit in their roadster when I had the XK-8 in this spring. They were kind enough to read two faults and reset them, no charge!

My latest vision involves me sitting in one with Sara Mills doing the extended version of "Eine Kleine Nacht Musick" in the passengers seat.

She looks even better without her top on.

It is a truly wonderful world we live in...

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some men are as bad in a car dealership as women are in a diamond store.... Big Grin

I believe Princess Margaret once commented on how vulgar a large imposing rock looked on Eliz. Taylors finger,
Taylor responded: , 'why don't you try it on?'....which Margaret did,
- Taylor then said:'doesn't look vulgar now, does it?... Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
worse, they don't let you test drive diamond rings outside the building...

one of us
posted Hide Post
They will let you test drive anything as long as they know for sure that you are loaded and that you have a good track record.They might even supply a pretty passenger!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I show up in the Jag with the top down, they think I have money.

We here, however, we know better...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I show up in the Jag with the top down, they think I have money.

We here, however, we know better...

The book "The Millionaire Next Door" cited a figure that 66% of Jag owners were not even worth a million dollars. Granted, that was 20 years ago, but I am sure the inflation adjusted numbers are the same.

In other words, there are a lot of guys who buy cars because they want to look rich (no pun intended). As a percentage of their total wealth, they spent too much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to get in on beat up Rich. Ahh, you smell funny too!

Posts: 1743 | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pennfly,

Oh, yeah? Well you're fat and your Mother dresses you funny... So there!! Smiler

It only takes about a hundred and thirty grand to buy a new XKR-S Jaguar convertible.

I think my gadfly friend from AZ confuses buying new with the vast number of owners of older Jags who may, perhaps, tie up about twenty to forty thousand dollars in a pre-owned one.

My local dealer has a very nice 2010 XKR convertible with less than twenty-thousand miles for about fifty thousand.

My first jaguar XK-E coupe cost me less than four grand. A funny story. In the summer of 1972 I was dating this gorgeous young lady. We were going skinny dipping that afternoon. Picked her up at her house, and she tells me to go down the street two blocks and take a left. Done. Then she says, "see that yellow car down there...? Yes. Drive down there. I was driving a '68 Roadrunner blood red coupe. We drive down, and it is an XKE coupe, Primrose Yellow with a for sale sign in the hatch.

We get out, and she tells me she knows the people selling it from her church. So, it's unlocked and I seat her; then walk around and get in the drivers side. Mind you all, I was 22, and about 180lbs was all. Not the fine full figured man I am today.

This lady comes out of the house, and we get out. She ways "Hi Susan...". We are introduced, and I ask why the car is for sale.

She tells me that her husband is 35 and had mid-life crisis about six weeks earlier. He just came home with the car. They have four kids, oldest is twelve. Within two weeks he has gotten three speeding tickets, two over a hundred miles an hour. Something involving the next door neighbor and a corvette.

His license is suspended for 90 days, and their insurance company tells her to get rid of him or the car. I would have shipped him out, but they have those four young children. Bear in mind, that I have lusted after one since they came out about ten years earlier. In 1962, at the Paris Auto Show, Enzo Ferrari proclaimed it "...the most beautiful car ever built...". She hands me the keys, and Susan and I take a little test drive. What I had read over the years was true, they would truly do 150 mph.

I come back, we negotiate a bit, and she even offers to sign the loan over to me. An hour later I am done at the bank, and I own this beautiful car.

The young lady was soooooo impressed, I got laid twice that day.

Years went by, so did Susan, and I traded the car for a, never mind.

So, when they retired me six years ago, I celebrated not killing anybody at work all those years by buying this one.

And now, since it IS paid for, when somebody who is likely driving a mini-van or suv with four doors snivels something non-complimentary, I just smile. Then I walk out to the garage, hit the opener, back the old Jag out the door, drop the top and go for a short drive. It reinforces my choices...

regards to all,

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
chicken nose,

I think I am doing fairly well, all things considered.

I have the Jaguar convertible, a late model HD Fat Boy with a 120 inch 130 horsepower motor in it, a year old Toyota FJ Cruiser, and they are all paid for. And yes, I have made three trips to Africa in the past six years.

How about sharing some of your achievements with us?

regards,

Rich

PS: along that line, do you know why chickens don't wear underwear? It's 'cause their pecker is on their face.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I gagged Linda Lovelace and if you don't believe it, I even had a tee shirt that said so.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote