Tools

Integral Rib Barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
TC1,

okay, show us a picture of yours... Oh, that's right, YOU DON'T HAVE ONE.

If nobody shows me up by posting a picture of their, aside from the one Duane Wiebe built; it must mean I am the only one. Here at least.

I think it is pathetic that neither you or any of the posters can show me up with yours.

Talk is cheap. Owning one isn't. That is the difference on this thread.

regards,

Rich

Come on Rich,
You are in over your head in this. TCI has several rifles that are the best.
All I seen of yours is an ugly supposed integral rib barrel. When you get your less than $400 dollar barrel finished and completed, post pictures.
You ain't posted shit, just trying to bring attention to yourself. You are getting the attention of people that are shaking their heads and laughing.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
butch, you are incorrect on two counts.

1. the pictures of my integral rib have been shown here. Ugly, you cheapen yourself by offering an opinion. "Supposed", I think jealousy and envy are fueling your response.
You don't have one either, do you?

2. TC1 cannot have several rifles that are the best. The best say Holland & Holland on them.

Follow up: if I have to walk across the street to save the lives of the 10-12% here that automatically disagree with me, you are all goners...
You mean nothing to me, except for entertainment value. Your bias has eroded any value beyond that...

I enjoy this more row than you can comprehend. If I needed any more friends, I'd buy a dog...

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We can settle this.

All that needs to be done is for me to order a barrel like this, get a firm delivery date, and a firm price and the discussion is over.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
TC1,

If nobody shows me up by posting a picture of their, aside from the one Duane Wiebe built; it must mean I am the only one. Here at least.

I think it is pathetic that neither you or any of the posters can show me up with yours.

regards,

Rich

Here's mine. It's finished.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ol'Rich will cut and paste some photos.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Here is another I commissioned a few years ago.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:

Probably

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Here is my last custom. One day Holland & Holland might build rifles of this caliber.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
We can settle this.

All that needs to be done is for me to order a barrel like this, get a firm delivery date, and a firm price and the discussion is over.

Rich

You can settle this anytime you want. Just shut up and stop making an ass of yourself.

Trust me on this, Butch isn't jealous of your barrel. It's an atrocious hunk of metal. I hope you enjoy it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Better buy a dog. I doubt that you have any friends.

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:

Seriously doubt it, he can't even post pictures on his own.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woo-Hoo, the cretin has crawled back out of the asylum. How you doing dave? I guess you figured if there was this big a crowd you'd be safe.
Did I ever tell you guys a noted gunsmith here called me during dave and I's last little set-to a couple months ago, and asked me if I would let up on him? He said dave was about in tears over my verbal abuse.
You need something to post about, why don't you tell the members that story?

Anybody know where I can buy a tapered barrel with integral milled FL rib?*

regards,

Rich

* besides McGowan, of course...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

We've known each other for a long time but I jist gotta call you on this one...

Holland & Holland has never made a rifle that even approaches the workmanship and simple elegance of line of the James Anderson rifle TCI is showing us above.

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+4!!!

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to get back on your meds Rich and buy a new pair of glasses. That barrel is the most ugly and ill conceived piece of shit that I've ever seen.

The noted gunmakers story is a lie plain and simple. But another lie from you should not be a surprise since you have been caught in so many of them here on AR. Your an ugly man with an ugly attitude that lives in his own fantasy land.

By the way, the third printing of my book "Professional Stockmaking" was just released by Wolfe Publishing. Not to bad for a "cretan" as you called me.

Dave Wesbrook

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
It's a wonderful book Dave. I've learned a lot from it.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post

Gasgunner, I"m sorry to step on your very interesting post on what some of us know is absolutely remarkable CNC machining...and I hope you continue this thread to the end and the pissing match stops here. But I don't think it will.

Rich...sorry no full length rib (but could have) but has integral quarter rib, integral sling stud, integral front sight, tapered octagon barrel and I'm not even close to being famous. Smiler

Lindy...PM sent.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

that is really fine craftsmanship. Love the bolt treatment. It seems to be a vanishing art, being able to carve panels. Do you have any issues with safety clearance?

I DO admire gasgunner's workmanship, it would be something to be proud of.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC1,

I stand corrected. My apologies. I wish you had posted the picture before I replied. That does look superb!

reading the entire two pages of this thread, the crap from a few people started because I suggested this barrel might cost quite a bit more than mine did. And, of course, little dave's comments were entirely appropriate and in context with the original thread. That, sadly, does not appear to bother anyone but me. But, the double standard is often applied where I am concerned. The good news, I like it that way.

BTW: $364.xx plus shipping to my front door.

I sent gasgunner a PM stating that I would love to have a barrel similar to the one shown. I would.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not believe I have ever seen a rifle that I wanted to own more!

Absolutely stunning!

quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
quote:
TC1,

regards,

Rich

Here's mine. It's finished.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John and I PM'ed. He says there is a tremendous amount of interest in doing a run.

We need to respond in numbers that will encourage him to schedule this sooner, than later.

I apologized to him, and I am repeating that apology here to you all. I had no intent to stir the pot.

TC1,

not that it really matters, but what caliber is that rifle?

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
.338-06

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep opening this thread to look at that rifle again. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
me too!!
and its in one of my favorite calibers as well dancing

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
I keep opening this thread to look at that rifle again. Smiler

I came for the rifle, but I'm staying for the hilarity! rotflmo

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bump

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gasgunner,

I asked my gunsmith what he would charge to recreate this Hoffman .375 H&H, using my original Oberndorf Magnum action. He asked if I wanted the integral quarter rib, full rib, and half octagon, half round barrel. I asked him what it would add to the price, and he replied $2500-3500. Can you give me an idea of what you could do the job for, using your CNC set-up?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This was an enjoyable and educational experience. Keeping up with production on our regular work has limited our time to work with this project much. Gotta keep the bills paid and lights on. Also our young man that was doing the programing graduated with his engineering degree and moved on to bigger things.

I proved to myself anyway that it could be done. To make it profitable at a reasonable cost you would have to limit some options and stick to a few standard configurations with different barrel diameters within some parameters. Running one full rib then another quarter rib, then another half octagon and half round would never work. You would also have to run in decent sized batches. This means having an inventory of 1.5" blanks in common calibers and twist rates. That would quickly add up to a significant amount of money tied up in inventory. I still think it could be done profitably, but it would take someone willing to make a pretty good investment of time and money.

Thanks,
John

Posts: 547 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
I recently picked up a pre-war german sporter with octagonal to round barrel and integral full length rib. Could use it as a pattern.

Id need to get a fourth axis, but could otherwise do it on my cnc mill. $2500 would be worth the time.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well... plenty of these integral barrels have been with a Bridgeport. I made the dead center so it can rotate with the needed offset for the taper

Speeds things up a bit.

Still a bunch of work. Lot of time in polishing.

Demand fell off when I raised prices to actually make wages

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I'm still "listening" here. Thinking about a classy gun with this style of barrel. Waiting for something definite. Did I miss somone offering to make these kinds of barrels? Rich's bologna muddied the waters. I'm still dazzled by this level of workmanship. I might very well decide to have a medium bore rifle made. Somewhere between 9mm and 416 in caliber. Not a Magnum. 400 Whelen Petrov style perhaps. Hope someone comes up with something. Thanks Packrattusnongratus

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Well... plenty of these integral barrels have been with a Bridgeport. I made the dead center so it can rotate with the needed offset for the taper

Speeds things up a bit.

Couldn't that HAAS of yours make them?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):

Speeds things up a bit.

Couldn't that HAAS of yours make them?

Yeah,
He could do it with a cold chisel also. You need to stick with your day job and leave the machining to the experts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He don't have a day job

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
This was an enjoyable and educational experience. Keeping up with production on our regular work has limited our time to work with this project much. Gotta keep the bills paid and lights on. Also our young man that was doing the programing graduated with his engineering degree and moved on to bigger things.

I proved to myself anyway that it could be done. To make it profitable at a reasonable cost you would have to limit some options and stick to a few standard configurations with different barrel diameters within some parameters. Running one full rib then another quarter rib, then another half octagon and half round would never work. You would also have to run in decent sized batches. This means having an inventory of 1.5" blanks in common calibers and twist rates. That would quickly add up to a significant amount of money tied up in inventory. I still think it could be done profitably, but it would take someone willing to make a pretty good investment of time and money.

Thanks,
John

John,

I don't know, I think that you could do it without a big investment. To test the waters, you could offer a 24", 375 caliber in a single contour, with just a quarter rib, ask $1,000 for them with a 50% deposit to cover the blank and set up cost. Even if you told people that you would have to order the blanks, etc. and that the lead time could be a year, I'd bet that you'd get enough orders to keep the machines running for a couple of weeks or more. I know that I'd love one to put on my model 70 when I wear my present barrel wears out.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right Jim: My day job is 40 plus hours a week at the bench/mill/lathe/VMC...etc..Lindy.. Yes, a Haas VMC certainly can be programmed to do that,,,Mine does not have enough "X" (length) capabilities.

The air is pretty thin for integral barrel demand. You can't make the contour for 30 caliber the same as a 50. Some will want a quarter rib and not a full length rib, some will want full octagon and others round, still others half and half..

Over the years, I've kept notes of integral barrels I've made and not a one is exactly the same...that's what "custom"is all about.

If there was a demand in place that this thread might suggest, There would be plenty of entrepreneurs jumping on the money wagon.

No..I'm not trying to be discouraging, just offering observation based on 50 years experience

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Are you running a mini-mill? I know we talked about it years ago...

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So many beautiful guns, so many pissed off people, hard to figure..Nice work galore..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Little:
Are you running a mini-mill? I know we talked about it years ago...

Yes