New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger No 3 Stock
 Login/Join

posted
Hi everyone,

New to the forum, but have been lurking for a while. I am hoping to find some information or at least direction. I've got a Ruger No.3 coming in as a project, and I am looking at restocking as my first priority. I'm set on building a No.2 ( No.3 action with No.1 stock) but am having trouble finding stocks out there in the world. I would prefer something rough inlet, as my skills are not superb with complete inletting. I like walnut, and am not particular to any one type, but would like something with at least half decent figure. I've found a few online that were very nice, but I am hoping for something not terribly expensive, less than $250 or so would be great. I'd consider getting a blank and having it rough inlet or duplicated if the cost is not extreme.

I am not sure if I am confident enough to take on a complete inlet job from a blank, I am fairly handy with wood and have done minor inletting before. any tips or thoughts on doing a full inlet? I have found a few blanks that looked nice.

I realize that I am asking for a lot, but I am hoping to find some help here among y'all as there is definitely a tremendous amount of knowledge and talent represented here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The auction sites sometimes have either take off factory stock sets or rough inlet stock sets in that price range. You could post a WTB ad in the classifieds here.

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
Alex,

It's a bit beyond your price point, but Treebone Carving has what you are looking for.

Ruger #1 and #3 Stocks

CPA rifles also offers stocks that are, depending on the grade of wood, closer to what you are wanting to spend.

CPA Ruger

Good Luck,
Lee

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a fore-end done by Luxus walnut available, with fore-end tip. Let me know if you find a buttstock and need fore-end. bob

Posts: 1282 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobc:
I have a fore-end done by Luxus walnut available, with fore-end tip. Let me know if you find a buttstock and need fore-end. bob

Bob, I sent you a message, thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi, alex..if you are still looking for ruger wood, I have a real nice set...if interested, please call........too much to try to include here....john..503-620-6499...after 6 pst....

posted Hide Post
Just to keep everyone updated, I did find a set of wood that I like, ordered my buttstock which should be here tomorrow, and a forend from Bob, which should be here Saturday. Cant wait to see them, and will post pictures as soon as i get them in.

posted Hide Post
As promised, a few pictures.

Firstly, the rifle, as I got it:
Factory Wood by Alexander Traver, on Flickr

Secondly, with the new wood mostly added. Still needs inletting for the barrel channel, and a little more work at the back of the action.
New Wood, Who Dis? by Alexander Traver, on Flickr

posted Hide Post
Looks and feels a whole lot better. Still has a long way to go, finish all wood work including buttpad and grip-cap and then rebarrel with new sights coming after. Hopefully my money tree fruits soon, as the gun fund is drying up at the moment. diggin

posted Hide Post
One more for anyone curious about the wood:
Butt Detail 2 by Alexander Traver, on Flickr
Forend Detail 2 by Alexander Traver, on Flickr

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nice wood; now send the frame to Turnbull for color casing. It will go with the wood.

Posts: 17092 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice wood, and coming along nicely!

My preference would be to thin the forearm a bit more, but to each his own.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coming along nicely...

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For best use, bend the lever like. Winchester Highwall. There is more clearance for the fingers.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2140 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
That's looking great. I have a very good condition No.3 chambered in 30-40 Krag that I was thinking of changing the stock on but everyone tells me that 30-40 is highly collectible as-is so I'm reluctant to mess with it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good buttstock but that forend is tremendous!

Look forward to the finished product.

DRSS

Posts: 1904 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458PHCAPSTICK
posted Hide Post
Nice

Posts: 216 | Registered: 28 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in the market for a Ruger #3 butt stock-original for the .375 Big Bore.

Thanks, Gus