THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Best/Greatest innovation in your world of guns
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best/Greatest innovation in your world of guns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not sure where to post this, but what do you think is the greatest innovation or change you have seen in the gun world in the last 50 years or so???

We all accept that the Mauser action, the Model 70 CRF action and the Rem Model 700 action are all great innovations/changes.... But else has truly changed how we shoot and how "do" our sport???

Let me offer a couple of suggestions/ideas -

1. Optics - they continually improve and are better now than ever before.

2. Ranging devices - now we know how far the target really is....

3. CNC machining of parts, barrels, etc...

What else??

Posts: 10135 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say metallurgy that allowed the use of Stainless Steel for actions and barrels.
BB

Posts: 394 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May I expand gun world and hunting?

Light weight high tech clothing / rain protection:
Better boots to get us farther into the field.
You mentioned optics : WOW! they are better than our eyes these days.
Communications: En-reach. Shows such as the DSC where we can engage hunting opportunities directly and hunting affiliates.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Better bullets.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not my world, but undoubtedly powders.

Real synthetic stocks, not the flimsy, hollow injected modeled bastardizations used by the Savages of the world.

Posts: 10804 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about better quality brass cases? I broke many decaping pins due to very off set punched flash holes in brass in the 60's and early 70's.

Hip

Posts: 1818 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
hammer forged barrels. probably closer to 70 years in euro.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Not sure where to post this, but what do you think is the greatest innovation or change you have seen in the gun world in the last 50 years or so???

We all accept that the Mauser action, the Model 70 CRF action and the Rem Model 700 action are all great innovations/changes.... But else has truly changed how we shoot and how "do" our sport???

Let me offer a couple of suggestions/ideas -

3. CNC machining of parts, barrels, etc...

What else??

Illuminated reticle / optics - that really makes better shooters in military and hunting situations.

Everything else is kind of a joke on the firearms side. To quote the HK ceo at shotshow in 2008 to me - this is not Star Wars.
The modern firearms has kind of reached its pinnacle a while back everything else is just window dressing.

CNC has been more of a cost of production revolution but today a $600 bolt (sauer 100) will outshoot most custom rifles.

The only person who has got really rich in firearms in last 50 years is Gaston Glock. So maybe striker fired handgun with plastic injections mounding and mass production to sell a $60-$70 gun for $400.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
The internet.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

3. CNC machining of parts, barrels, etc.

Would be my top three

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah. Definitely, the internet.
Nothing manufacturing-wise. What change has the greatest effect for me was/is spending the time to shoot better groups and subsequently learning about the feeding and operation of the Mauser 98 CRF system. Sure was a new chapter in my life. But, that was more of an accomplishment than an innovation.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, probably the internet.

Part of what I love about guns is the fact that so much remains constant. I have guns from my great grandfather. Compare that to a PC or cell phone with the same relative cost.

But while we shoot a lot farther and somewhat more accurately, I think most of the advancements have been evolutionary (bullets are better, powders, barrels) vs revolutionary. Maybe optics have really improved. V block bedding. Stock bedding in general is better. But the internet and sharing of all this knowledge is maybe the biggest advancement.

On the other hand, Bo Clerke thought it was the improvement of bullet consistency when we went down to his barrel factory in Raton 15 years or so ago.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 Creedmore of course!!!

Posts: 2326 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Flush Cups

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd Williams told me it's the Blaser :-)

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Todd Williams told me it's the Blaser :-)

Hey Bibs what about the new savage straight pull rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4p4Aj-pbLY

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, hadn't heard about that! I'm sure Butchloc is anxiously awaiting the release of the Mossberg version :-)

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, but I'll stick with Mausers and M70's. I will admit to buying a Savage mod 25 in 223. Compared to traditional bolt rifles it looks cheap but it shoots 1/2 inch.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say almost everything mentioned above has transformed the hunting/shooting world.

Well, everything mentioned above until you girls started pulling each other's hair! LOL

My #1 would be optics whether rangefinder or scope.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
The PC laptop and printer has been the biggest change for the firearms field. Take a look around and you can find anything about the arms business around the world. My son is a COMPUTER ENG. and always told me get a PC. In 1998 I finally bought a Toshiba with only 4 gb's of hard drive. So much has changed for the new models will hold a complete library. Before the computers we had a whole stack of books to use in the business of GUNSMITHINGS.

Anyone trying to get into the firearms field can have information available quickly on any topic at their finger tips. Some of the best craftsman in the world posts on some site. Where can you get so much information so cheap? I have tried to write articles to help the beginner get started with DVD's and USB drives. I hoped that some of you people have learned from some of us older gunsmiths from the internet on a PC.

I can't think of any thing that has more valuable use in our trade than the latest phones and computers.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Breast Implants!

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote