New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rolling Block
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Every now and again I get to interrupt the endless stream of AR-15 barrels across my bench with something a little warmer. Helps to keep what little sanity I have left intact.

A couple years ago a good friend from TX, and a member of this forum, asked my if I would put together a little rolling block for him. After he agreed to my terms of service, which is that stock work gets done in the winter when there are no rifle matches to go to and no grass to cut, and it is to cold to play with tractors, I agreed to give it a go. The customer furnished a rough machine cut stock and a couple forends to choose from. I fit and finished the stock then sent the metal off to another good friend for bluing and color case hardening. Then covid hit and the gun industry went crazy so we were swamped with work, then I got the covid, so the little roller sat for about a year and a half. That gave me time to work up the nerve to dust off the checkering tools and start scratching on the stock. It has been cold the last few weeks, so I have been spending my evenings in my little basement shop scratching away on the stock. This is what it ended up like. A couple little bobo's here and there. I do about 1 checkering job every 8 years. About 3 jobs ago I had to go to using reading glasses, then an Opti visor, this time I had to use glasses and the Opti visor.

If anyone is curious, the background rifles are a Hutton, a early G&H, an Adolph, a suspected Shelhamer, then 4 Shelhamers.

John

Posts: 537 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nice checkering; who did the CCH?

Posts: 17066 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Nice checkering; who did the CCH?

I do not know if he wants me to post his name, but he watches this forum so I'll let him post it if he so desires.

Thanks for the compliment.
John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that a little #4 take-down? What chamber?

Posts: 671 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cute - i'm in the middle a #4 rolling block converted to 22 mag simple engineering always outclasses complicated

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slivers:
Is that a little #4 take-down? What chamber?

22lr

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So classy...but I spent as much time looking at the rifles in the background!

Posts: 371 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn cute.
I've been thinking about doing something like that since I have some 2 piece wood to use.

I agree with bghntr416. The background rifles are way interesting.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
Damn cute.
I've been thinking about doing something like that since I have some 2 piece wood to use.

I agree with bghntr416. The background rifle are way interesting.

Zeke

Now that I'm getting this picture posting thing figured out, maybe I'll do some show and tell sometime.

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
quote:
Damn cute.

Zeke

Now that I'm getting this picture posting thing figured out, maybe I'll do some show and tell sometime.

John

Looking forward to that!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nicely done rolling block. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Do Post pictures of the Custom Springfield rifles in the background!

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
quote:
Damn cute.

Zeke

John

John, I think you knocked it out of the park!

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a beauty!

Posts: 459 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice project John. I love theses little Rolling Blocks and have owned a few over the years. Probably spent enough time handling and looking them over to stock and finish one but never could justify the time and expense. I'm delighted to see that someone could~~
BTW: Did you do anything to improve the take-down mechanism? All that I had more or less rattled.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1778 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
Very nice project John. I love theses little Rolling Blocks and have owned a few over the years. Probably spent enough time handling and looking them over to stock and finish one but never could justify the time and expense. I'm delighted to see that someone could~~
BTW: Did you do anything to improve the take-down mechanism? All that I had more or less rattled.

Thanks Steve.
My friend who did the metal finishing did what he could with it. It was pretty bad when we got it. I believe he bored the receiver to make it round again, then soldered a sleeve on the barrel tenon to fit the new larger receiver bore. Still got some rattle, but much better than how it was.

John

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work.

Many years ago I had a solid frame #4 .22LR built for me by the late Bob Guinta of Medford NY. They are wonderful little actions to build on.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote