New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Safe choice advice needed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking at Fort Knox(Guardian with upgrade 7 guage body) vs Sturdy safe.I was wondering if people here would pay for the extras on the FK? Anyone have any experience likes or dislikes about the safes?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I have a theory about safes....it is great to buy ONE that is 5x stronger than the next, but not if (due to cost) you have to get a smaller safe meaning you can put less of your stuff in it. In short, I would personally rather have three larger but lower quality safes than a single big safe that is theoretically stronger. Thieves might get into one safe or yank it through a wall or move it with a pallet jack into a truck, but it's a lot more work to move (or break into) three less secure safes hidden in various places around the house.

JMHO

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like something attractive that I can put anywhere I like most likely near my trophy mounts,so I can easily walk up to it and look at a gun.I would also like the door to open easily,have the inside lit, a mirror in the background.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Fort Knox 6637 safe about 8 years ago. I really like the safe, but looking back on my purchase, I think I went overboard on adding security features, such as thicker outside steel and interior liner. My safe weighs 1800 pounds and it is a bear to move, even for professional safe movers.

If I were to do it again, I'd still get a Fort Knox, but I'd keep the weight under 1300 pounds. No matter the weight, it will not budge when bolted down. My safe can withstand quite a bit of damage from a burglar, but the truth is that a skilled burglar could get in despite the added liners and weight I added to the safe. In other words, 1300 pounds would have been good enough for protection for my situation and is a lot easier to manage when moving around.

I also wish I had bought the one size larger 7240 safe. Safes can become crowded quickly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had my Fort Knox Safe for close to 30 years. No complaints, glad I did it, would do it again.

Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I have 3 fort knox safes and one vault door. Like them a lot but I have not had any others to compare to. Bought them mostly based on ease of access as they are built about 15 miles from me.

Mac

Posts: 1723 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered the Sturdy Safe without the fire protection.It still comes in at over 900lbs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I just ordered the Sturdy Safe without the fire protection.It still comes in at over 900lbs.

[URL= ]safe[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally would not get a safe without fire rating. But that is just me.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am thinking of getting the paint option.They have Ivory white-cream,Hunter green,and black.
I like white because it lightens up a room.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
I personally would not get a safe without fire rating. But that is just me.

Sturdy safe seems confident they have the best fire proofing(same stuff used in ovens and not fireboard).I think I will get the fire protection too.Maybe the insulation used will work with de-humidifier rod in keeping moisture out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
shootaway

I can HIGHLY recomend the Sturdy Safe with the fire protection. I use them.

Also they are great people to deal with. They are made in the USA.

When you call them on the phone, you either get the owner, his wife, or his daughter, the girl in your picture.

Just so you know, She does not come with the safe, I asked... shame CRYBABY

If you have not done so, go to their site and look at their videos.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally I think buying a primary gun safe without fire protection is a HUGEmistake.
Fires are less likely than burglars but much more destructive if you don't have a fire safe. MOST burglars won't bother with a gun safe IF it is secured down and more than a tin box.

Finally, it's none of my business but I think having a gun safe out in the wide open where anyone who comes into your home can see it (AC repairs, plumbers, electricians, yard men, etc, etc) significantly increasing your chances of being robbed. I'd put it somewhere less obvious, but that's me.\

The first rule of security is keeping your mouth shut. (not advertising that you have a safe and ergo, there must be something valuable inside)

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are some things in life that I feel I will take a chance on and losing my rifles in a fire might be one of them.However since I can use the safe to store valuable pictures or documents also then it might be a good idea to spend the extra money and get it.

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
My view is that a safe should provide basic protection. If a fire is hot enough to damage the contents of the safe, then it is hot enough to burn the house down.

Then, that is where the home owners' insurance comes in. Though, firearms have to be listed separately in most policies through an adder.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if there is anyone here who would NOT pay extra and take the fire proof option? BTW,I thing I will stay with the original grey-I think it is the nicest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're going to rely on a safe for fire protection of documents and or photos in addition to your firearms you really need to get one that has an fire rating that is independently certified or has a legitimate U.L. Fire rating. Very few manufactures have gun safes which have independent certifications and none carry a U.L. fire rating.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sturdy Fireproof Safe after 1 hour 20 minute complete home burn down...note documents and ammo intact.....

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are neighborhoods I lived in with thousands of houses or buildings, and in my lifetime and possibly another`s lifetime not a single one of these ever burned down.That said I guess I will leave out the 680 dollar fire proof option.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have received a lot of genuine input from AR members. Do a lot of research and don't forget the used market such as craigslist or estate sales. When a good deal comes a long you should be able to spot it.
Here is my criteria.
1 Made in USA
2 Highest fire rating
3 Get bigger than you think you will need. Two or more is an excellent idea in case you have to move in the future which happens to all of us, it will make life much easier.
4 All safes have strong access doors, but few have similar side walls and especially week top. A lot of thieves have wised up and brake into the top of the safe like a soda can with power tools.
5 Some safes come with digital and manuel locks, get them if you can.
6 Look at a safe as a lifetime investment and not an expense. If you are smart about buying you will recoup your investment but most important peace of mind.

Things to always do.
1 Pick the best spot to place them especially if you have partial cement slab or above ground footing. Always anchor them.
2 Use inside architecture to your advantage, by making access difficult do to the proximity of two walls, stairwell etc..
3 Build a safe room if you can or use your imagination "james Bond" but maintain easy access.
4 Don't place your ammunition with your firearms. Put them in a different safe as far apart as possible.
5 Document and photograph all contents with serial numbers etc...
6 Get proper insurance.
7 Don't give combination to anyone.
8 When you first get the safe, read the manuel that comes with it thoroughly. Deprogram the safe to your liking. On a normal set up the safe company has a master combination that will allow emergency personnel easy access.
9 Don't advertise visually or orally.
10 Place gunpowder or primer stickers on the safe for great visibility.
11 Lock up all power tools especially grinders, metal cutting tools and drills etc..
12 Don't let it consume you enjoy your life.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My safe arrived today.A STURDY FIVE STARS to everyone including the 3 man team of extremely hard working moving people-my kind of people!
[URL= ]safe delivery[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]1[/URL]
[URL= ]2[/URL]

one of us
posted Hide Post
AS far as fire protection one can always add it to the room you are installing them in. Or build a cabinet around them.

Fire rated sheet rock walls or paint the safes or room with this. firefree 88 paint looks like amazing stuff.

I did both to my room.

I think fire is way more of a danger then burglary as far as losing all of your weapons.

I went with the mutable safe idea in a harden room. first they have to break into the room then into each safe. While waiting for the sheriff department arrives due to the alarm.
going off

Any thing can be done if professionals or the government comes nothing is going to stop them.

for the average burglary any thing that make it harder well work

[

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple of things here. First understand that what you have is a secure container not a safe. That said, it will keep honest people honest and crackheads will move on to easier targets.
Second thingy is that if you don't have a problem with the idea, you can take out the barrel racks and store the firearms in silicon "socks". This will allow you to put a lot more rifles in the space available.
Alomost forgot, I would recommend that you purchase some "uni-strut" and install the safe on that. This raises the bottom off direct contact with a floor and allows for air circulation under the safe. This will help prevent condensation on the safe bottom which leads to rust eventually.

Posts: 148 | Location: back in the USA | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the barrel racks because the safe is not crowded that way and air can circulate around the rifles.I am not worried about rust on the bottom of the safe because I had a steel cabinet for 30yrs there prior and it did not rust.

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are neighborhoods I lived in with thousands of houses or buildings, and in my lifetime and possibly another`s lifetime not a single one of these ever burned down.That said I guess I will leave out the 680 dollar fire proof option.

Depending on where you live most houses don't get robbed either. Very twisted logic in making your decision.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dempsey:
quote:

Depending on where you live most houses don't get robbed either. Very twisted logic in making your decision.

You would be surprised as to how many houses do get robbed in all places-you just dont have people knocking on their neighbours doors telling them they got robbed.I would bet you would have a harder time finding a house that did not get robbed-and that includes trailers,boats and recreational vehicles parked in the garage and driveway.I think a gun owner especially one that is often away from his home would be a very likely target.We have also had many AR members who told us that they were robbed.

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Fire-proof or not; burglar-proof or not, it's still a nice metal box. Don't think you did too badly, George.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dulltool17.I am very pleased with this purchase.The safe exceeded my expectations-everything about it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I got another safe it would be one that I can assemble myself where I want it and move it myself if needed.

Such safes are made by Snap Safe, Zanotti and Champion and perhaps others.

I have not seen one in person and I keep asking the Cabelas here to bring one in.

Zanotti safes

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.