THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    30-06 Takedown with English Accent
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 Takedown with English Accent
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Client saw an example of an English takedown and liked the looks. The action is a G 33-40, Lothat Walther barrel, Vardy wood. Bottom metal and buttplate are Wiebe. The tasteful, constrained engraving was done by Ken Majors.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Another one hits the sweet spot all around and the grain on the right-side butt is incredible.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5092 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't see any pics, anyone else?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't either.

Posts: 422 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
nope, nothing!

Posts: 1033 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right click and then click open in new tab should show the pica

One of Us
posted Hide Post
New gal on the job..we'll get it sorted out

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sweet, what do the two screws underneath the front part of the forearm do?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They attach to a band, that in turn can be locked onto the barrel...allows for possible thread wear...tighten the barrel, reset the forearm and sights and good to go for another 10 years

One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous rifle.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Annnnnd, it's a small ring!

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5092 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another beauty! Who's bolt shroud/safety?

Posts: 422 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recknagel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cheek piece is perfect tu2

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Classic perfection. Kudos.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. Perfect proportions.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow.....lovely!!

DRSS

Posts: 1150 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perfection!! as always.

I'm curious Duane, have you kept track of how many take-down rifles you've built over the years? It seems like you've built more than the average gunmaker.

Posts: 563 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just noticed you did Neidners little squiggly worm tracks on the bolt.

Very nice work, thanks for posting.

John

Posts: 537 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MNR:
Perfection!! as always.

I'm curious Duane, have you kept track of how many take-down rifles you've built over the years? It seems like you've built more than the average gunmaker.[/QUOTE

Short answer is "no"...Most years 1-2..this year, orders for five,. from 6.5 x 55 to 404 Jeff.

Personally found a TD (500 Jeff) very handy traveling to Africa and getting thru customs in those dinky offices they seem to like.

Clients have mentioned the relative obscurity carrying the shorter package in some of the gun loving areas like New York

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
Just noticed you did Neidners little squiggly worm tracks on the bolt.

Very nice work, thanks for posting.

John

Well...not sure who can take the credit (or blame) for the frosting treatment...I trace it back to Shelhammer (Not sure of spelling,) who told Dale Goens how to do it and Dale told me.

I like it ... compared to the monotony of engine turning. I "surprised" one client with the treatment...who was not amused!...So not for everyone!

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Superb! Always enjoy seeing a different take on the take-down.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7517 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,

I have always loved the frosting treatment you do. I have a 1903 I am building that will get that treatment. Just a really nice touch and different.

A beautiful rifle, and something to really aspire to. Thanks for posting!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1468 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Another fantastic rifle. I saw the engraving in person. Well done and tasteful! All around beautiful package.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1629 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
Duane,

I have always loved the frosting treatment you do. I have a 1903 I am building that will get that treatment. Just a really nice touch and different.

A beautiful rifle, and something to really aspire to. Thanks for posting!

I like the fact that the "pattern" can be individual as handwriting

Once saw a rifle, I THINK G&H that the frosting was done in something like coarse checkering pattern.. Befuddled me...looked like it took some sort of helix fixture. But... was a real attention getter!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a keeper!

Posts: 223 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MNR:
Perfection!! as always.

I'm curious Duane, have you kept track of how many take-down rifles you've built over the years? It seems like you've built more than the average gunmaker.[/QUOTE

Short answer is "no"...Most years 1-2..this year, orders for five,. from 6.5 x 55 to 404 Jeff.

Personally found a TD (500 Jeff) very handy traveling to Africa and getting thru customs in those dinky offices they seem to like.

Clients have mentioned the relative obscurity carrying the shorter package in some of the gun loving areas like New York

I still own that 500 Jeff of yours. Been meaning to send it into you for a few tweaks. Been a great rifle! You will be sad to see a lot of bluing wear however!

Mac

Posts: 1721 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope....happy to see a rifle has been enjoyed

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The little "squigglies" on the bolt are similar to those used by John Oberlies of Dayton, Ohio. The earliest Oberlies rifle with this treatment in my collection was built in 1934. Oberlies used this treatment on falling block bolts, contemporary bolts, hammers, triggers and other parts of his outstanding customs. Michael Petrov and I had some lengthy discussions about how the procedure was accomplished, but didn't reach any firm conclusion. It has been described as chasing, done somewhat differently by several gunmakers, but best by Oberlies.

Posts: 62 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle!!!
Thanks for sharing the pics with us so we could drool.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spectacular rifle, just like all the others you've built.

Posts: 59 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 01 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane,
You are the MASTER! beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41783 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote