THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Ever buy a used custom that just fit
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever buy a used custom that just fit
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
I bought my buddy's Springfield, Monte Carlo stock, cheek piece, short-ish forend, 21" barrel.

Here's the thing. He's 5'2" and I'm 6'1". Stock is as close to perfect as can be. He has long arms.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find that usually the LOP has to do with how long your neck is. You might have a short neck and he might have a long one.
Hard to tell from here. Smiler

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Contrary to popular belief the human body can adjust to about any well-built firearm all else borders on BS and cash flow. I mean I've never seen a Rem 700 or Win. mod 70 and a host of others that have not worked just fine for umpteen thousands right out of the box. I've bought and sold many custom rifles and shot and hunted with most before I sold or swapped them off. Thats the rest of the story. and yes, there are occasional exceptions that probably don't fit anyone.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41812 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30-06 boring must be I own 5 or so of them.

It has been a few years since I shot any thing with anyone of them.

But it has always worked. Yes Boringly reliable for sure.

Posts: 19350 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess p dog shooter has explained why I can't hunt any more but own at least a dozen 30-06 rifles, some customs, some original 03 Sporters, some target guns, some stock Winchesters. They all seem to fit just fine. Boring? Yes, and reliable.

Posts: 62 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
30-06 boring must be I own 5 or so of them.

It has been a few years since I shot any thing with anyone of them.

But it has always worked. Yes Boringly reliable for sure.

What you talkin' bout Willis!
Hip

Posts: 1816 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
In answer to the question posed: Yes.

I guess that makes me just an average guy. Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13373 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the most part I think Ray is correct. I do find with heavy recoil a better ( custom ) fit can be helpful.

One example,In practicing with my ruger No 1 450-400 my second finger takes a beating from trigger guard, not so with 416 rigby cz 550. Neither custom fit, just different.

Posts: 1067 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My boring Winchester M70 Featherweight in 30-06 just feels right. I love the slimmer stock, lighter weight (than their standard model), and proportions. Have not shot or hunted with it in awhile...shame on me. But it has been to Africa twice and accounted for a few animals here in the US.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've held a couple that felt perfect, one in particular that I didn't buy because it was a caliber I'd never use...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14361 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple years ago I bought a very light, trim custom on an FN Mauser. Very thin barrel, no sights and a beautiful piece of walnut. It handles like a very fine shotgun. I've never been picky about how a rifle fits, as I am 6ft and 190 pounds which puts me as an average size and average rifles seem to fit fine, but this rifle changed my mind about how lively one can feel.