THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Half Octagon Barrel Making Video (Pics of finished rifle added)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Half Octagon Barrel Making Video (Pics of finished rifle added)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
https://youtu.be/diG1TqPSkQI

Just finished up this video. It shows the process I use to machine a half octagon barrel as well as the accompanying rear sight base. Haven't finished the rifle yet, but it is a .375 Ruger. Kind of a mix of classic and modern. The customer's heading to Alaska with it and wanted a fiberglass stock but it will have many of the classic touches a fine wood rifle would. I'll post pics when finished.

Posts: 571 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice work. One question, why aren't you using an insert with a chip breaker when reducing the barrel diameter.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
So cool. Are you going to remove the step where the octagon joins the round?

My Simson is so cool with full length rib.

Wish you great success in making such barrels

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Just because that was the insert I had in my box that was sharp at the time. Does make a bit of a rats nest though.
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
Nice work. One question, why aren't you using an insert with a chip breaker when reducing the barrel diameter.

Dave

Posts: 571 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keeping the step. As far as barrel design, I just copied a picture of what the customer was looking for. I've seen several different transitions for half octagon barrels(quite a few on AR). On one I liked there was a convex cut where the two joined. I'm no expert on them so I'm very open to suggestions on what looks the best.
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
So cool. Are you going to remove the step where the octagon joins the round?

My Simson is so cool with full length rib.

Wish you great success in making such barrels

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Use a wedding band instead of a step; like they did in the 1700s on half octagon flint barrels. It makes the transition look good. To me.
Nice video; we do things very similarly. Machining I mean.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nicely done..keep up the good work

Posts: 3451 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the lucky action that will receive such a nice barrel?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent video. Like wise very skilled work.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only thing I see that's missing is your safety glasses! Don't operate a machine tool without 'um... Otherwise, a real nice piece of work.

Posts: 675 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the safety glasses while machining and silver soldering. You only have one set of eyes, and stuff happens.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lindy - It's a Dakota action.

Silvers and loud-n-boomer - You're right I should have had safety glasses on, especially for the video. I did for the lathe work but neglected to on the mill. I should know better as I've been to the eye doc twice now to get metal pulled out of my eyes (neither time from gun work).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice work!

Posts: 41767 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Very nice work!

Yes, indeed !

Posts: 77 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 08 September 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curious if you considered milling the rear base integral? Not a critique of your work, just a question.

Great work, and thanks for taking the time to make a video of it.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I did. Basically I quoted the job to the customer with two different options for the barrel, one with integral features and one with solder on sights. It just came down to cost savings for the customer, as I figured the same barrel with integral features was going to be $1k more. In hindsight it probably would have taken less time to make the rear sight integral than making a sight, soldering and cleanup. I would have had to start with a larger diameter barrel though.
Thanks for the compliments.
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
Curious if you considered milling the rear base integral? Not a critique of your work, just a question.

Great work, and thanks for taking the time to make a video of it.

Jeremy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally do not like soldering sights, if I had to pick the worst things, after wood work, I am terrible at soldering. I can do it, it is functional, but I am never happy with how it looks and I am never happy with how long it takes.

For me, and I am saying this from a manual machining perspective, I have found that integral features are not that much more expensive than fitting and soldering.

I would rather be standing at the mill making chips than sweating sight bases on.

Next time I am in Vermont can I stop by and say hello?

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Nathaniel. Just saw your reply. Yes, please stop by if you're in the area.

I agree, regarding soldering. It's an art that I have certainly not mastered.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pictures of the finished rifle. I would have much rather used a nice piece of English walnut for this project, however I do enjoy adding classic touches to a composite stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. Never seen case colouring with a synthetic stock, and I must say, it works pretty well!

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNR:
Sorry, Nathaniel. Just saw your reply. Yes, please stop by if you're in the area.

I agree, regarding soldering. It's an art that I have certainly not mastered.

No problem! Next I am in the area I will send you a message.

thanks

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mayhaps you're using the Bownell's solder? "Force 44"

Not had luck with that..solders OK, but contunual after rust seems to never get under control

I like Harris products

Posts: 3451 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly I did exactly one barrel with the Brownells Force 44 and Comet flux. Everything around the sight, on the sight, under the sight, rusted.

I never could understand what I did wrong, so I am relieved to hear I may not have been completely at fault!

Thank god it was a barrel for me!!!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m curious who did the CCH, and if they do pre-war mausers?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Turnbull did the CCH.
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
I’m curious who did the CCH, and if they do pre-war mausers?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I'd never seen it before either, though I'm sure it's been done.
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Connan:
Beautiful rifle. Never seen case colouring with a synthetic stock, and I must say, it works pretty well!