Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1 stock pattern .
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey fellow smiths ...

I'm getting ready to stock up a Ruger #1 with a stick of nice Turkish Walnut .
My question "who has a very nice classic stock pattern that I could use to have this wood shaped??"
No cheekpiece needed ... I know I could fit and shape by hand but to speed up shop time up I'd rather have it pre-shaped ..

Thanks ...

Posts: 343 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know that Chuck Grace in Trinidad Colorado has such. Google American Custom Gunmakers Guild and you can find his address and number. Ed

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 334 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Look on eBay; there is a guy selling some top quality wood for #1s there; I got one last month. From california.
maybe he will turn yours.

Posts: 17006 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is about as nice as I've seen.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...9421043&m=8651065422
Al Lind also has a nice pattern and provides machine duplication.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all the replies and info so far ..

Getting closer ...

Posts: 343 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used stocks from treebone carving, and he duplicated a #1 international fore end on my 7x57.

http://www.treebonecarving.com...-1-and-3-stocks.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link Wildman ..

I had thought about reaching out to Treebone , then I received a message and then a email from one of our members here on the AR and he has a pattern that looks really nice and is sending to me as we speak ...
My friend has a Don Allen Copy machine and is going to run off a pattern in the very near future and go from there ..

I'll try to post pictures of the finished piece whenever I get there...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Look on eBay; there is a guy selling some top quality wood for #1s there; I got one last month. From california.
maybe he will turn yours.

How was the fitment? I have seen the auctions and have been hesitant to order without knowing the quality of their inletting

Posts: 109 | Location: NE OH | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use your take off stock as a pattern..If its not right for you a cabinet rasp, file, and some bondo to change what you don't like will work, DIY or let your stylest do that for you..I have a number of pattern styles so made that I send bedded into my gun then shipped to a stylist in Boise to copy..save days of labor, I do like them oversize a bit..the shape to the gun in question...I think most do this these days,

The best wood Ive found is Bill Dowtins Old World Walnut..Its Russian walnut, same as Turkish walnut but across the Turkish/Rusian border..The Russian walnut I older larger trees, as it has not been raped of the good stuff..Some of the dark chocklet or black wood with marble cake in the butt is out of this world..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Bill's site account is suspended, certificate outdated or some such.....

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5077 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Jay McCament’s pattern stock for this rifle: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867476803

except the pattern is right handed. https://imgur.com/user/Vol423

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2133 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bill Dowtin has passed on to greener pastures it seems..May he rest in peace..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote