THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    FROM A SOW'S EAR TO A SILK PURSE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FROM A SOW'S EAR TO A SILK PURSE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted
FROM A SOW’S EAR TO A SILK PURSE

With a few notable exceptions, I’m a lover of most everything that goes bang. And even those few guns that don’t set me all-aquiver can usually be appreciated at least from a design standpoint. Of course, I’m a product of my age so my more serious firearm infatuations are with designs that I came to love many, many years ago…and still favor to this day.

Take fine rifles, for instance. For me, these pieces of functional art are crafted properly from two materials: WOOD and STEEL. Trust me, I know ALL the arguments for staying entirely with a stable, man made stock material…and there’s more than a few fiberglass stocks in my inventory…but while they are tolerated, they are DECIDEDLY unloved. For me, a day spent afield with one is about as fulfilling as a day spent afield with a framing hammer. The traditionalist in me finds them cold to the touch, dead in the hands, and utterly lacking anima or soul. My utilitarian side finds them useful in inclement weather in the same way I choose rubber boots over leather when I’m out in the mud and muck.

OK, so I’m a wood stock fan…this is not news to folks that know me. Wood has warmth, and life, and provides me a very real tactile connection. As well, my preferences run to handsome wood as opposed to the average chunks of AA-grade chair-leg that the bean counters at the Remchester mega-factories utilize.

I’m also a fan of Mausers (the action style, of course…not the company per se). So, when the opportunity to pick up an unfired, ‘80s vintage Brno ZKK-601 in .223 Remington appeared a few years ago, I snagged it! Now, I knew from the start that “1980s Eastern European” and “Classic stock design” were mutually exclusive terms…but I wasn’t prepared for the chasm I was confronted with!

Heavens…where to begin? Where the factory stock finish (and I use the term advisedly) remained, it was a thin coat of hastily applied polyurethane; where it had been rubbed off while in the box there was a featureless blonde wood exposed. The forend sported a tip of contrasting wood (apple box?) set off by a white line spacer (I suspect 1970s vintage linoleum but I could be wrong). Both the wrist and forend wore panels of checkering cut with all the finesse of an octogenarian armed with a horse-shoeing rasp. The finishing touch (and needed for something as brutal as a .223) was a 1” ventilated recoil pad…complete with linoleum spacer. Taken as a whole, the stock held all the elegance and grace of a Cro-Magnon club.

The metal work was exactly what Brno has produced for years: rock solid but ROUGH. Many Brno rifles have been used by young and broke (as opposed to old and broke) African professionals over the years…men who needed rugged and affordable firearms with which to ply their trade…and this rifle was no different. A very utilitarian matte finish was applied to the metal, and the barrel wore a very serviceable set of iron sights. For a bang button, there is the instantly recognizable straight Brno single set trigger...as well as the damnable backward safety so common on many European guns. The whole thing needed help. Professional help. Great, whacking doses of PROFESSIONAL help. No timid amateurs need apply.

I wrote Aaron Little (of A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers, LLC) with my ideas for the project. My idea was simply this: take the bones of this Brno and craft a mate for my “Everyday Double Rifle”, the Sarasqueta 28 bore that Aaron converted to a .30-30 WCF for me. If the Sarasqueta was the “heavy rifle” in my “Texas safari” battery, the Brno would become my “light” rifle…the real workhorse of any safari gun rack!

Being a gifted young man (and fearless, apparently), Aaron took the commission.

All successful projects “begin with the end in mind”. For this Brno, the end should have the look and feel of a fine English magazine dangerous game rifle…albeit in a varmint cartridge chambering. The basic “to do” list looked like this:

Barrel & Sights: Provided that they perform adequately in testing, let’s leave them alone.

Action: Smooth action overall and correct current feeding/cycling issues. I suspect that both the rails and ramp will need attention.

Bolt: Straighten bolt & fill knob.

Safety: The factory backward BRNO safety is an abomination and should be replaced with an M-70 type swing.

Trigger: Leave the original BRNO single set unit. Tweak as necessary.

Stock: Like the safety, the original stock is an abomination. I’ll keep it just for the carnival-sideshow look of it. Replace with a nice piece of walnut. Install Niedner buttplate and checker butt. Install skeleton grip cap and checker the butt of the grip. No forend tip.

Aaron began the hunt for a suitable stock blank and sent loads of pictures of prospective lumber. Most had gorgeous figure but grain flow is incredibly important in stock layout and Aaron vetted my choices, and we finally settled on a blank from Cecil Fredi. With my measurements in hand, Aaron could begin shaping and inletting.

Ed LaPour provided the three-position safety. Aaron installed it and straightened and filled the bolt handle. Smoothing the action was a challenge in its own right; Aaron texted me at one point to comment that Brno had evidently “broached the bolt raceways with a butter knife”! He managed it, though…and today the bolt throw is slick as can be!

The spartan matte finish was polished smooth and richly blued. Talley rings hold a Leupold 2x7 in place…just the right amount of scope for the work I’ll be asking of this rifle. The checkering is flawless (at least I haven't found anything to quibble over). My eyes aren't good enough anymore to accurately count lines-per-inch on something like this; Aaron says 24-26 and I believe it. Exquisite.

The finished product is all I’d hoped for and more. From a distance one might easily mistake this for a fine .375 H&H. It is slim, elegant and handles like a 5 weight fly rod.

Make no mistake: Aaron Little is a craftsman of the first order. Not a gun mechanic, not even a gunSMITH. A gun MAKER. Thanks, brother!

GUNMAKER NOTES:
What can I say, hearing these thoughts so eloquently written brings me much joy. “Wood has warmth, and life, and provides me a very real tactile connection.” As a gunmaker who also has the same feelings about fine wood and steel guns, I can’t argue with that.

Something I don’t feel is talked about much is the life of the craftsman during the time of these projects. Looking back at these and other projects I can easily remember doing the work on the project itself, forming a relationship with a new person who impacts my life, and also what was going on in my life at the time. The first project I did for this specific person I can recall being a year into business, with all its joys, concerns, and uncertainty. I remember making my girlfriend into my wife. I remember stumbling upon a better way to regulate these double rifles I was building.

With this BRNO rifle I remember buying and moving to our property. Becoming a follower in Christ after 28yrs, becoming a Father. I learned it’s better to reposition your work in the vice instead of putting yourself in an awkward position, resulting in a slip with a chisel which lead to a bit of leaking.

Warmth, Life, Connection. I’ll add encapsulator of memories, for the craftsman and commissioner. And more shall come!

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1021 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! tu2 That stock is gorgeous! tu2

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
quote:
GUNMAKER NOTES:
What can I say, hearing these thoughts so eloquently written brings me much joy. “Wood has warmth, and life, and provides me a very real tactile connection.” As a gunmaker who also has the same feelings about fine wood and steel guns, I can’t argue with that.

Something I don’t feel is talked about much is the life of the craftsman during the time of these projects. Looking back at these and other projects I can easily remember doing the work on the project itself, forming a relationship with a new person who impacts my life, and also what was going on in my life at the time. The first project I did for this specific person I can recall being a year into business, with all its joys, concerns, and uncertainty. I remember making my girlfriend into my wife. I remember stumbling upon a better way to regulate these double rifles I was building.

With this BRNO rifle I remember buying and moving to our property. Becoming a follower in Christ after 28yrs, becoming a Father. I learned it’s better to reposition your work in the vice instead of putting yourself in an awkward position, resulting in a slip with a chisel which lead to a bit of leaking.

Warmth, Life, Connection. I’ll add encapsulator of memories, for the craftsman and commissioner. And more shall come!

And there you have it, folks: proof that young Master Aaron Little is far, far more than just a lathe jockey!

When he delivered the Brno above, he and I had the opportunity to grab a bite of lunch and, as Gus McRae would put it, to "talk a little philosophy". Aaron is an old soul in the body of a very genuine young man, honest to a fault, and wise beyond his years. He worries about all the right things and he has his values and his moral compass to guide his path.

Look, I've dealt with a number of gunsmiths over the years, ranging from lower echelon gun-monkeys to true masters of their art. Aaron Little is the chance melding of both a fine human being and an extraordinary gun-making talent. I doubt this will be our last project together...he probably thinks I've forgotten about that side-lever single shot action...but I haven't.

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Now that's a rifle!!

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Very Nice Excellent work.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
One of the nicest .223's I have seen in a long time! Well executed forward and aft.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Breath Taking!

Posts: 10803 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
That is one exquisite little rifle! tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A perfect example of what a custom rifle should be.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Beautiful little rifle.

A little confusing concerning who is actually posting this.

The mini action rifles are such a sensible use of the almighty dollar as they can be your favorite hunting partner all year long with ammo that's readily available. Long range sessions are so pleasant as well as an afternoon at a prairie dog town. Just leaves you wanting to venture out more with a new trusted friend.

Just my not so humble opinion though. Convince the client to spend WHATEVER IT TAKES to replace that eyesore of a trigger. It's gotta go as everything else is just as it should be. Great tu2

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1839 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Sorry for any confusion, James. I penned the original text down to "Gun Maker's Notes", then Aaron took over. He'd asked about sharing what I'd written and since I'm intrinsically slothful, I told him to have at it.

I couldn't agree more regarding the use of a smallbore like this as the basis for a custom project. In the years to come, I'll try to wear this little darling out...and I might manage it because I can shoot it all day, every day.

I hear you about that Brno trigger, but it's gotta stay right where it is, sorry. That characteristic trigger (and I'm no real fan of single sets) tells everyone all they need to know about the rifle's lineage without even asking. Admittedly, it ain't overly classy...but hell, neither am I! Cool

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Enjoy it all you can! Maybe if you shoot it enough you'll wear a radius in the front of the trigger shoe. Big Grin

Again great little rifle.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1839 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a beauty!

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Nice job Aaron! That is a beautiful rifle.

Posts: 1306 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 570 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a gorgeous rifle!

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
What every man desires.

She’s beautiful and practical.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would love to see the "before" pictures!

Posts: 41 | Location: Canada | Registered: 24 June 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would love to see the "before" pictures!

me too.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Wish I'd taken "before" pics of the metal as well, but here's what the original stock looked like:

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great rifle. What's it weigh?

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Exquisite

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you did good, no you did ultra great! I had the same done several years ago by Lon Paul . he sent me a group shot with the final bill and it was 2 touching and 1 just out, about 3/4 inch! nice wood hidden in the stock also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you still have the parts of the original safety? I could use them for one I'm working on, if the price is right.

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cdsx:
Do you still have the parts of the original safety? I could use them for one I'm working on, if the price is right.

I have no idea whether Aaron Little still has the original safety parts or not; I certainly don't. I'd suggest sending him a PM...you might get lucky!

Mark

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 218 Bee:
quote:
Originally posted by cdsx:

I have no idea whether Aaron Little still has the original safety parts or not; I certainly don't. I'd suggest sending him a PM...you might get lucky!

Mark

PM sent, thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Superb rifle. Except for the trigger, and it sucks.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharpsguy:
Superb rifle. Except for the trigger, and it sucks.

Duly noted.

Man, I'm truly stunned by the lack of love for fine Warsaw Pact engineering! Cool

Truth is, it's still a Brno...and that trigger tells the world exactly that.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
My my. Such a fine quality piece with deep, rich dark walnut ink lines and fine execution of finish, shape and elegance throughout. Like other top custom builders out there, few can master everything as seen here leaving 'no stone unturned'. Congrats to Aaron and 218 Bee (for his component choices) for doing justice to this Brno right down to the finely polished/detailed trigger. Certainly worth a re-post of the pictures.
CB

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Little:

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle.

That stock would have done justice to a bespoke 416 Rigby.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neat rifle..and I too, love Brno's Arguably as close as one can get to a perfect 98 system...With custom actions being made out there, I always wonder" Just copy the Brno"

Now the original safety is actually a darn fine safety. A small percentage of clients want the safety left as is. "Just think of it as a Colt SA when ready to shoot ...cock the hammer!

Posts: 3451 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Just think of it as a Colt SA when ready to shoot ...cock the hammer!

At last - someone who gets it!

I agree on all points. Just copy the BRNO.

I might be a little biased.

Posts: 41 | Location: Canada | Registered: 24 June 2020Reply With Quote