Notify
Tools

Dave was here.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
If you like his work. DLW. Now under $5K. .338-'06

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle!

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a ton of rifle for $5000.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would anyone pick a blank like that with the obvious flaw when they are about to spend a lot of cash to have the rifle built.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
Why would anyone pick a blank like that with the obvious flaw when they are about to spend a lot of cash to have the rifle built.

Turn enough blanks and you will quickly learn what you see on the outside of a blank is not always what you get when you take the chips off. I have had issues like that turn up more than once that could not been seen before a blank is profiled. It is in a place where it could be(maybe has been) stabilized.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is interesting in that Dave seemed to be very quick to point out wood flaws. Who knows, Steve may be right, flaw revealed itself and client said if it is not critical proceed.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yes Lindy
I would reject that stock because of the embedded branch. As some of you may recall, the rifle was offered for $14,000 plus before being lightly used. It was not a cheap or even a middle priced custom. As such - no flaws, stable are expected especially ones so obvious as this.

Mr. Bertram, Blank dealers worth their salt almost always offer a return guarantee for the flaw risk reason mentioned. Any surprises, it gets replaced. Seems like a stock builder would do the same.

On the other hand the butt stock has very nice grain play and it has potential in that a shorty front end could make it into quite the custom if one wants to pay the price to do so at this level. Had this been built by someone else in this industry, Dave would have said to throw it in the burn barrel. It is better than that, much better. But, $14 grand better? No. $5 grand-ish? You decide.
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:

Turn enough blanks and you will quickly learn what you see on the outside of a blank is not always what you get when you take the chips off. I have had issues like that turn up more than once that could not been seen before a blank is profiled. It is in a place where it could be(maybe has been) stabilized.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see 7 ultra close ups...mayhaps there's a "defect that's out of the field of view?

Steve is right on the money with hidden with bark pockets, shakes, splits, you name it..Fancier the wood, more the the chance of unpleasant surprises

Not ALL (even well known) wood hawks will willingly replace a blank. Spoken from experience..." Still a serviceable blank" Send it back an I'll "repair" it"

Posts: 3450 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
" Still a serviceable blank" Send it back an I'll "repair" it"

Seems reasonable so long as it is clearly made known ahead of time that is what will happen, and of course that a discount is then given for the now lower grade blank.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll not get into the long story, but these are quotes to me personally from Calico Hardwood and Bill Dowtin. No "preamble" was given either time

Anyway..the defect is not visible on my screen...where is it?

Posts: 3450 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scroll to the right, nasty knot in the forearm. I missed it at first but I can blame my age.

Posts: 129 | Location: west MN | Registered: 22 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful butt for sure.

I wouldn't want that stock at any price
though.

Just before Fajen shutdown. I got one that
was quite nice. had an inch crack on the toe.
Called the lady and "send it back I'll send
another one right out".

"IF you're going to trash it, I'll pay $15 and
take my chance's on fixing it as I need two
and can't afford both right now".

Called and told me I could have it for the $15
once she saw it. Prettiest of the two and I got
the piece chipped off and glued back on well
enough it can't be seen.

For a hunting rifle stock I'm happy with it.

This one I'd be concerned about later warpage.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rglenz:
Scroll to the right, nasty knot in the forearm. I missed it at first but I can blame my age.

AH got it! Yep...Kind of a deal beater.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably 9 times out of 10 it would make no functional difference, but it's definitely an unsightly defect on something that that was purchased at great cost for its' aesthetic value. If the owner paid full price and got stuck with it, he was well and truly seen off, that's for sure. The pity is, that blank would have been show quality as the buttstock half of a 2-piece stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Half way down the fore end? Can't believe Dave would let this pass.. Even if client "wrote it off"...Cients are not ALWAYS right

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Knowledge was known well before the final shaping. That being said, they client likely gave a green light, or should’ve been given notice.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
That is 'if' the client did actually give him the green light. I question if there ever was an actual client. If there in fact was, did said client give him the red light?

As I recall, this same rifle in as new condition was offered right here by the stock maker and then after a few months on Ralf Martini's site in the same condition for at least several months at $14K or possibly a bit more. That came as a surprise since I thought he only built to order. I'll send Ralf an email. He'd know the exact scoop.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Conjecture is a moot point . It is what it is...move on

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
...Clients are not ALWAYS right

Hey buddy, that’s not what we agreed to!

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yabut..I have very smart clientele

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Moot point(s) aside.

1. Not worth $5,000-ish. Check.
2. Un-repairable to the point like it was never there? I say check.
3. Shortened fore-end with an ebony tip added and a re-contour and re-checker feasible? I say yes.

Thanks.