THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Fore end has been chosen. XXXXX Need suggestions for a rimfire stock forend.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fore end has been chosen. XXXXX Need suggestions for a rimfire stock forend.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
Here is my pattern in the basic overall shape stage. Just can't decide on a shape for the forend. I'm thinking a lot more taper at the bottom of the tip and possibly a 1.25" long ebony tip.
Got any pictures of your favorite tip for a bolt action .22 rimfire rifle to share?
Thanks.

CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
It's just a basic overall shape for now. The grip will be left as-is until the grip cap gets here. Until then, it is off to the belt sanding table. The top of the comb will be straight front to back, the bottom of the butt will be slimmed down rearward to the heel, the sides forward of the grip will be slimmed, etc.
As for the tip, I'm leaning towards a flat top and upswept underside from the end of the bottom metal forward to a much slimmer profile.
quote:
Originally posted by thirdbite:
Purely my opinion. The comb looks like it is not straight - could just be the pic. I prefer a shorter and more tapered forend. Also I like a straighter line on the top of the grip as well as a larger radius on the transition from grip to comb and more defined front point of the comb including narrowing it. Also a notch at the rear of the rip cap.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like a straight line from the front of the bottom metal to the bottom of the forend tip. I like the tip to be hemispherical unless the stock is fairly wide. On a wide stock, I like a profile round from the side and straight when viewed from the top. I am far from the expert in the field. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3521 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The forend is easy, like others have said, fix the grip area. How the forend is treated depends on how the rest of the rifle is styled. It all has to work together. If you have the skill to make the grip-comb-wrist area look right, you should be able to do the forend tip blindfolded and don't need any help from us in the peanut gallery. For what it is worth, in my opinion, many of the professional stock makers don't know how to handle the grip area and need to spend a few weeks looking over Duane or James Andersons shoulder and taking notes to learn how.

But that's just my opinion, worth exactly what you had to pay for it.
stir sofa

John

Posts: 545 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill & John. The grip will have to wait. Got to have the cap first so I can make a guage for the grip contour this time. Spent a couple hours on it today. Heading down to the 'cave' to do more profiling shortly. Tip style has been chosen. Keep it coming. Much appreciated.
More pics soon.
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
The forend is easy, like others have said, fix the grip area. How the forend is treated depends on how the rest of the rifle is styled. It all has to work together. If you have the skill to make the grip-comb-wrist area look right, you should be able to do the forend tip blindfolded and don't need any help from us in the peanut gallery. For what it is worth, in my opinion, many of the professional stock makers don't know how to handle the grip area and need to spend a few weeks looking over Duane or James Andersons shoulder and taking notes to learn how.

But that's just my opinion, worth exactly what you had to pay for it.
stir sofa

John

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
New tip shape, narrowed body, taper under the ejector box, reduced butt height, added LOP and striaghtened comb. Ebony tip or no tip is still under consideration.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
reverse. This is a Win 22 stock, strangely picked from the pile at the NYPD range.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
New tip shape, narrowed body, taper under the ejector box, reduced butt height, added LOP and striaghtened comb. Ebony tip or no tip is still under consideration.

Well, it's your stock, but I really don't like the forearm. Not saying it mightn't look OK when finished but not to my liking. This is not an opinion that matters, mind you! Regards, Bill

Posts: 3521 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
What would you suggest exactly Bill? I'm thinking more straight instead of curved along the bottom and I will definitely be rounding it off for some proper wrap-around checkering.
The 2 screw grip cap is here. Damned Rikon band saw is giving me sh^t now. The old blade snapped and the new one pops off when I tighten the lever for the top wheel. So, I haven't made a profile guide for the grip.
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
quote:

Well, it's your stock, but I really don't like the forearm. Not saying it mightn't look OK when finished but not to my liking. This is not an opinion that matters, mind you! Regards, Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a schnabel tip ?

Posts: 698 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also like the schnable tip..Leave it in the bulk stage, In my opine, Its file time..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I have considered a schnable. I think an ebony tip gives it more class.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have considered a schnable. I think an ebony tip gives it more class.

Schnable-ize the ebony.

Posts: 698 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You did not identify the action, this would help with the feedback you receive. Win mod 52 is vastly different from a Kimber for example. Go back and read Gasgunners post.

Posts: 1130 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
All metal is Mauser MM410B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Richj's stock profile is a good start minus the forend. Looks like somebody tried to fix a screw up and kept going.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The grip sez Schnable with the Prince of Wales grip, modify the cheek piece to a pancake Euro type. The bolt cut is poorly placed and totally wrong, Bondo it to move the side panel back a tad and recut the bolt cut into the side panel, is proper, but the bolt can be a rolled over the panel requiring no bolt cut on a 22. Just my two bits on what you have to work with..but the stock must suit you only..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Gull dang Rustoleum Enamel primer/paint crap. Still didn't dry completely after two days! The felt cushions on my vise stuck to it. Must be really old stock. 2 cans going in the trash. Can says fast drying. [when compared to our regular paint]. OK. I'm fine now. Had to vent.............

one of us
posted Hide Post
First, I would determine the forarm length I wanted. Then, I would establish the depth, at the tip. I would make the forearm a straight line from the tip to the front guard screw. The tip would be hemispherical with the center biased toward the bottom a bit.
If I wanted to do a schnable, I would look to copy a Winchester 1895, complete with the ebony insert. With a schnable, a slight curvature of the forearm is OK, but it should be very minor. Again, these are my opinions and this doesn't make them right, except in my own mind! Regards, Bill.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Final shape. Just need to mark the position of the ebony tip then it's off for duplication.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Right Side

Left Side

If you're still looking for some suggestions here's a pattern for a Brno Model 2 Pre-1965 (Machined not cast), Actions made after 1965 were cast. As for some general recommendations I would look at reshaping the pistol grip area and the fore-end. If you intend to use a grip cap ensure that the pattern fits the grip cap.

Posts: 67 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks Roger,
Interesting points. I did change the angle of the grip cap. The duplicated stock will be here in another day or two. I intend to "tweak" the shape of grip a bit more once in hand.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Roger Vardy,
What size is your grip cap? Mine is a 1.3" X 1.8" and is way to large for this stock profile.
CB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a petit from Dressels just about right

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Roger,
Interesting points. I did change the angle of the grip cap. The duplicated stock will be here in another day or two. I intend to "tweak" the shape of grip a bit more once in hand.

If you can, post some pics of the duplicated stock after you get it. Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Sorry I'm late. Work in progress.....

quote:
Originally posted by rcraig:
quote:
Thanks Roger,

If you can, post some pics of the duplicated stock after you get it. Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the pink stuff?

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Lipstick. Ran out of inletting black.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alrighty then!

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the poor picture. "The final fore end". url=https://postimg.cc/nCQQS7ZY] [/url]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you nailed it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice!
I draw everything out on paper first. usually several versions before I take the rasp to it Smiler 'Regardless, you got that one just right.

Posts: 1068 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One can hardly ever cut too much wood off, but always start with an over abundance of that stuff..and remember you can take it off, but,ya cant put,er back.. rotflmo I like my patterns about 3/32 or more oversize and in need of more file work and scaping..and I lean heavy on lean and mean..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Roger,

The pistol grips I use are 43.5mm x 31.25 mm and the thickness is 6.5mm, for you yanks that's 1.71" x 1.23" x O.255". (This was referenced from Jerry Fisher's small caps.)

Posts: 67 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks Roger,

Stock has been tweaked to my liking and is finished except for a few dust nubs. It's off for checkering.
All replies appreciated.

CB

quote:
Originally posted by Roger Vardy:
quote:
Thanks Roger,

The pistol grips I use are 43.5mm x 31.25 mm and the thickness is 6.5mm, for you yanks that's 1.71" x 1.23" x O.255". (This was referenced from Jerry Fisher's small caps.)