New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser-style claw mounts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to try my hand at making/installing a Mauser-style rear claw mount base but have only seen photos. These rear mounts have a single, square hole into which the rear ring stud fits and a plunger activated locking bar. I would appreciate any information, drawings, or photos showing the details of this mount. It would be beyond helpful to have a rear base & locking system from which to take measurements. Yes, that's asking a lot, especially since a lot of these bases were machined into an integral square bridge. I realize this will be a lot of work, but I survived installing the indescribably labor intensive Holland & Holland bases and rings and have a nice Kurz Mauser I'd like to do up Mauser style.

Thanks,

Roger

Posts: 465 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
how about pictures to start. not sure yours is in there.

https://www.newenglandcustomgu...log%20Volume%20V.pdf

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They are largely hand made and there are many variations; few are interchangeable in the civilian world. however. look at the German WW2 Sniper rifles for examples. Those were standardized; not interchangeable but they are close.
I'll look for a set I can send you as an example.
Note; there is a reason you don't see them newly made in the US.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The single square hole rear mount is not the normal installation on current guns. I have only seen that on older guns.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Single rear (and front) claw was the standard BNZ (Steyr) Sniper configuration.
RA; go to this site and they have all the German WW1 and 2 Sniper mounts; from long and short side rails, to double claw, single claw, and turret.
$249 for a set; can't make them for that. Ignore all the references to the K98; they actually mean the Kar98k. https://www.accumounts.com/german-k98.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. Much appreciated.
--Richj, I'm familiar with the claw mounts sold by NECG & have installed them. The rear ring has 2 feet (Claws) that are engaged by a sliding bar.
--dpcd, Not what I'm after either.

For those who are really curious and don't have anything better to do, I refer you to pages 174-175 of Speed's "Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles" which shows the rear square bridge machined with a square hole and a push button operated transverse locking bar. I have no experience with these mounts, & there's probably a reason they are no longer made.

Let me ask the a related question. Let's assume you have beautifully welded and shaped a square bridge on your M98's bridge. How would you machine the new square bridge for contemporary claw mounts, or instead or machining the bridge, would you just drill & tap and attach a contemporary rear claw mount base?

Thanks, again, for your considered recommendations.

Roger

Posts: 465 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have welded on square bridges. Then I machine a dovetail for Tikka rings.
Claw mounts are too much work. They were all hand filed by apprentices making room and board just to train with the gunsmith.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m really interested in learning about claw mounts too. Pretty sure Duane does the ones you describe, just go around to his shop and make him show you. Smiler
Or maybe have a look back through some of his rifles on here, I seem to remember there was a pic of the rear base being made. I’ll try to find it.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the way dorleac mounts the front ring on the barrel, preserving the crest on the front bridge.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The single square foot in the rear mount was mostly done by Oberndorf on their square bridge mauser commercial. I have a rear ring that I would be happy to send to you if you like. Over the years I have owned several of the single and double square bridge Oberndorfs with this arrancement.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger, Duane had some pictures posted some time ago. If he does not still have them let me know and furnish me your email and I will send them to you.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, The square type rear lock up on a Suhler type mount must be hand made. The classy way is t o weld to the rear bridge. The ring itself can be purchased with an oversized base attachment to fit as needed.

The front foot can be either on the receiver (short scopes) or ion the barrel as needed for longer scopes.

Hardware is easiest ordered through NECG.. their catalog does not show all the variants, so best to pursue a Recknagel catalog. you can give the Recknagel part number to NECG and they will get it for you.

Fit is SOOO important to repeatable accuracy, but t he front bases and rings are sold as a set and are VERY close these days so makes that part of the job a whole lot easier than in years past

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dennis OLson made me a pair with bases and rings and at a reasonable price I might add..He used a set of Buehler rings, shaved off the bottom and welded or tigged?? the hooks on them and bingo they worked like a charm, charged me $35, but that was way back in the day..I sold that rifle some 15 or more years ago..Might give him a call..but I think he is 3 years behind..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41761 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya just can't screw around with bubble gum alternatives these days....Get the real stuff from NECG

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Fine looking TD rifle, thanks for sharing Duane!

Posts: 5 | Location: WI | Registered: 12 January 2021Reply With Quote