Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on stock wood
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted
Just wanting to know if people think I have a problem with a semi inlet stock I have just received for a project. It has a very small knot or something in the section forward of the trigger and rear of the magazine, running vertically through the wood. It runs top to bottom, just in this one small spot, probably 1/4" wide. Seems like its sitting right in one of the weakest sections of the stock.

The action is a Zastava M70 and the barreled action that is going in this stock is chambered in 458 Win. I was planning to fit one of two cross bolts pretty much where the knot is located.

Just off the photos, do I have a strength issue with a relativity heavy recoiling rifle that I should be concerned about?

View looking down from the top:

View from the bottom of the stock:

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana I would not worry about it, there is a lot of sound wood around that pin knot. With double cross bolts it will be fine.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's of no consequence...it's also bridged by he action, bolted down on each end by guard screws

Posts: 3450 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. beer beer beer

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would fill it with some sort of super glue, although I don’t really think it will be an issue.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Id fill it with glass at least. but it might hurt a sale or create some critisism down the line..If you can id send it back for a replacement..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote