New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser bottom metal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The modus operandi of 22WRF, Kolo Pan...etc...is like a DNA profile. Belongs in the bucket of human debris.

Put him on "ignore", move on to something important

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ad hominem argument never changes. Its always the same. An attempt to change the conversation from the issue at hand to the personality of another. Judges always say it proves a lack of credibility.

Duane had a damn good idea for you guys that only know how to speak to other people in an ad hominem manner. Ignore me.
I like that idea.
Then I don't have to deal with you anymore.

KJK

Posts: 678 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
My question is, we all know who this poster is, and yet, people to continue to feed the troll. Why? Just frigging ignore him. Besides the handles Duane listed, he went by at least one other here on AR. No matter the screen name, it's still the same old Kevin Kolosky.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you ZLR.

KJK

Posts: 678 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
The modus operandi of 22WRF, Kolo Pan...etc...is like a DNA profile. Belongs in the bucket of human debris.

Put him on "ignore", move on to something important[/QUOTE

Lindy also, I warned you guys

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, 22WRF, Lindy, Kolo-Pan, "Kevin", when you have tried several anonymous restarts, and each and every time you end up pissing off everyone on the site, it eventually becomes about... you guessed it... personality.

But enough with the attention whoring, this is my last tid-bit for the troll.

Thanks for the tip about the "ignore" feature. I haven't used it before now.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back to the title topic, I know this may be heresy for the Mauser purists, (and I consider myself one) but has anybody considered manufacturing Enfield/Winchester style bottom metal? (i.e. two piece with a separate magazine)

Machined one piece units may have made sense back in the day with really only one basic case dimension to worry about, but machining the mag box seems to have a ton of inefficiency and waste built into the design.

I'm not a manufacturing engineer, but given the small market for custom rifles would it make sense to machine and offer for sale just a few universal floorplate trigger guard assemblies based on action screw spacing, with sheet stock magazine boxes for custom cartridges ordered separately?

Thoughts?

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:
Back to the title topic, I know this may be heresy for the Mauser purists, (and I consider myself one) but has anybody considered manufacturing Enfield/Winchester style bottom metal? (i.e. two piece with a separate magazine)

Machined one piece units may have made sense back in the day with really only one basic case dimension to worry about, but machining the mag box seems to have a ton of inefficiency and waste built into the design.

I'm not a manufacturing engineer, but given the small market for custom rifles would it make sense to machine just a few universal floorplate trigger guard assemblies based on action screw spacing, with sheet stock magazine boxes ordered separately?

Thoughts?

I ran that past a fair number of people. My goal was to continue overseas business, since some political entities will allow bottom metal to be imported as long as the magazine is not integral.

Maybe I didn't explain it well enough but to my dismay there was no support for the idea.

You're right...could simplify the process...A LOT!

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
quote:

I'm not a manufacturing engineer, but given the small market for custom rifles would it make sense to machine just a few universal floorplate trigger guard assemblies based on action screw spacing, with sheet stock magazine boxes ordered separately?

Thoughts?

I ran that past a fair number of people. My goal was to continue overseas business, since some political entities will allow bottom metal to be imported as long as the magazine is not integral.

Maybe I didn't explain it well enough but to my dismay there was no support for the idea.

A buddy of mine and I discussed this many mmons ago when I was still in CA. He convinced me it was a great idea. Machine the basic bottom metal and floorplate and then provide various stamped magazine boxes of correction dimensions that just drop in or can be affixed. The Brno 21 series used a similar process. I think this would have been a hit 20 years ago when customizing Muasers was more popular. these dyas with preferences shifting to modular guns and supplies of "good" mausers drying up, I wonder if there is enough demand?

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:
quote:

Thoughts?

A buddy of mine and I discussed this many moons ago when I was still in CA. He convinced me it was a great idea. Machine the basic bottom metal and floorplate and then provide various stamped magazine boxes of correction dimensions that just drop in or can be affixed. The Brno 21 series used a similar process. I think this would have been a hit 20 years ago when customizing Muasers was more popular. these dyas with preferences shifting to modular guns and supplies of "good" mausers drying up, I wonder if there is enough demand?

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not enough demand. The guys who want and appreciate custom Mausers are getting long in the tooth. And a lot of them already have a custom and don't need/want another. The younger crowd thinks the high end off the shelf rifles are the greatest thing since sliced bread. The times they are a changin'. old

Posts: 700 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What you say has merit . On the other hand, there still exists a robust demand from perhaps a smaller part of the populaton that still wants and will pay for fine guns.

Same goes for wind up watches and bamboo fishing rods and flintlocks. And...as far as Mauser's drying up...much of that credit goes to the flock of wise men and women in DC

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
What you say has merit . On the other hand, there still exists a robust demand from perhaps a smaller part of the populaton that still wants and will pay for fine guns.

Same goes for wind up watches and bamboo fishing rods and flintlocks. And...as far as Mauser's drying up...much of that credit goes to the flock of wise men and women in DC

Duane, true, there will always be a demand, evenif limited. In a limited demand situation, this concept make make even more sense. You have one or two bottom metal units programed and then select the appropriate mag box. You wouldn't have to catalog 13 different units. I know I still have several builds I hope to complete before I check out. ach of which would benefit from "correct" mag boxes and nice bottom metal.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I'm not a fan of the post 64 70's, I have done a few by converting them to feed off the rails and made the new box out of 1/16 flat stock...not rocket science and could quite easily be done on other action platforms.

In spite of the negative response I got, I can't help but think there's room for the concept

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Over the years I've produced bottom metal for my own actions, military surplus and commercial Mausers.
Always just made my own as needed for the builds I have going here.
I've kept the fixtures super simple and the cnc programming and methods congruent across all designs so tools, and work piece coordinates interchange size to size, going from 30-06 to 416 Rigby or 404 Jeffrey amounts to selecting a program and running it. I can literally jump from running a Satterlee Arms 404 Jeffrey drop box to a 375 H&H standard box for an 09 Argentine, then to a 7x57 box for a Mexican Mauser without changing a single tool or offset. So far it's worked great for my needs.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stu, did Roger Vardy get in touch with you about the receiver that I bought from you? He had a question about the mag box.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
Over the years I've produced bottom metal for my own actions, military surplus and commercial Mausers.
Always just made my own as needed for the builds I have going here.
I've kept the fixtures super simple and the cnc programming and methods congruent across all designs so tools, and work piece coordinates interchange size to size, going from 30-06 to 416 Rigby or 404 Jeffrey amounts to selecting a program and running it. I can literally jump from running a Satterlee Arms 404 Jeffrey drop box to a 375 H&H standard box for an 09 Argentine, then to a 7x57 box for a Mexican Mauser without changing a single tool or offset. So far it's worked great for my needs.

Well...you're of the generaion tha undersands how to do all this...us old farts sill rely on a file...Mayhaps you can "deal" and have it worthwhile to make medicine with someone who wants to concentrae on that part of the market.

Gotta say this sounds simple enough to just corner the market in one swell foop ...but I just stopped in for cocktails!

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Yes I did communicate with Roger, it's a Stainless standard length magnum action, 300 win. Etc.

As far as bottoms go get it figured out what you need and we'll get it scheduled and make it. Currently I'm well into some titanium receivers but after that it's open for some bottoms.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote