New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of wood?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

This is a friend's CZ 17 HMR sporter. The stock is just as recieved from the factory.

What kind of wood is this? It kinda looks like a nice stick of American like Winchester used to put on their Model 21's.

They must be using some kind of a dye like elkinet root.

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My guess is Claro Walnut.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Claro Walnut.

tu2 My guess as well

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is really a nice looking rifle. very nice. But its troubling that they put a bent piece of sheet metal on it for a trigger guard. That rifle could be very nicely dressed up with the addition of a machined triggerguard with a little bit rounder shape to it.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, why would you go to the trouble of finely machining the upper metal, execute a beautiful walnut stock then stick on some circa 1940 Savage .22 bottom metal? Oh silly me, it keeps the cost down of course. Kinda reminds you of the Remington 720-721's too. But they had crappy stocks.

quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
that is really a nice looking rifle. very nice. But its troubling that they put a bent piece of sheet metal on it for a trigger guard. That rifle could be very nicely dressed up with the addition of a machined triggerguard with a little bit rounder shape to it.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 722 has decent wood.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
It's listed as Turkish. Honestly, I think the grain and figure in that one is hidden somewhat by a cloudy finish. It looks pretty good, but I think a strip and re finish would do it some good. Could just be the lighting.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a good machined trigger guard on order from DIProducts. I have one on my rifle and it's a quality product.

We are also going to shorten the magazine to about flush and do something about the monumentally ugly trigger. But, on this one, that's it. It's brand new and the wood is too good to monkey around with.

Dick Wright

One of Us
posted Hide Post

This is what the bottom metal will look like when we get done with it. We have three of these guns and this is the only one that was too good to tear up and re-stock.

Dick Wright

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nicely done bottom metal. Way, way better than the original. Was the trigger guard loop a transplant? CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Being a CZ probably is Turkish. Thanks for the mention of DI Products. They make a great looking bottom. Now to get on the backorder list.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Missed the DI products post. Thanks.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My CZ 453 Varmint

Anybody know what wood?

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I had to guess, claro. Or stained maple. Good looking shooter.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That scope sure looks bigger from the left side Wink

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right hand for off hand shots.. left hand for precise shoots..

Wink

No, just had to much time on my hands today. Rain Rain Rain... So tested out a few scopes.

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 5 years ago Mutch of the walnut used on manny CZ's were Black American Walnut from Missuri (American Walnut Company)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn Butch, you scored on that one!!
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
My 722 has decent wood.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is Mike Walker's personal favorite hunting rifle. It is a 257 Roberts. He said he had an advantage, he oversaw the woodbox and had his pick.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

I would like to just have seen the stuff that you and Jim C. went thru at Mike's. Lotta history there.

Dick Wright

one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ's are European walnut of various kinds I suspect. They are made in the Check Republic so the wood is from that or neighboring areas..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Black (American) walnut is just a species of tree. There's lots of English walnut grown here.

Do they have black walnut in Europe?

Dick Wright

one of us
posted Hide Post
No black in Europe, but they can import it. It doesn't seem to me it would be cost effective inasmuch as shipping etc. and the fact that black is inferior to European wood. Black walnut is a hard shell walnut, European, English etc. is thin shelled walnut, and is named by its origin, examp: French walnut is grown in France, Turkish in Turkey, and on and on. The difference is how harsh the climate where it was grown, the harsher the better as the twisting and torture to the tree the drougt and cold is what creates the best wood, along with the age of the trees. tu2 California English was imported to the US, and today its mostly ditch bank cork wood by comparison to European English..We crossed it with black and that's called Claro. walnut 101 as brief as I can get it in a paragraph..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is Roger Vardy harvesting and selling in Australia?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
What is Roger Vardy harvesting and selling in Australia?

Maybe would be called Australia Walnut horse

Posts: 477 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Atkinson,

Funny story about where walnut grows...

Years ago Dale Goens made a rifle for a lady named Edna Oakley. At that the gun was quite famous for it's extremely fancy wood grain; really quite spectacular.

A friend and I chanced to meet Dale. (Nice man.) I think it was at the 1980 NRA convention in Denver. We had a coffee with Dale, wanting to pick his brain and the subject of the Edna Oakley rifle came up. My pal, anxious to show his command of all things walnut said, "That wood must have grown on the North side of a mountain in a really arid climate".

Dale said, "No, actually it grew on the side of a drainage ditch at low altitude. The ground was wet most of the time."

Just when you think you know...

My buddy, whose wife owns this gun, knows a couple of guys down at Michigan State who literally have PhD's in wood. He says they will be able to identify it in a minute and will know what they are talking about. He's taking the rifle home when we get done shooting it tomorrow and, maybe, we will find out. If so, I will post it.

I think it's American black walnut and that CZ stained it red. The grain looks a lot like Butch's Mike Walker Remington except for the stain. But what do I know? I thought the wood in the Edna Oakley rifle grew high on a mountain near a desert...

Dick Wright