Find
Notify
Tools

Stainless Banded front sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted
I am looking for a Stainless banded front sight .825" ID (or close to it) any idea where to get one? I looked at NECG, no luck.

Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ever thought of beadblasting and nickle plate. I've done this on cm parts to match bead blasted stainless.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Butch, I have but I don't have access to plating services/ tools. I thought about blasting and clear coating but I don't want to coat the whole pistol as it's all stainless and doesn't need it.

Little crude but cutting the forcing cone.

Adam

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
When I had a couple of DG rifles built on stainless actions all I could find were blued chrome moly parts like BB swivels and sights so I had them cerakoted black to match everything up. Looks great and pretty tough too! Just a thought...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7510 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Bwana, how were they attached to the rifle? Epoxy or sweated on?

Adam

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ab_bentley:
Bwana, how were they attached to the rifle? Epoxy or sweated on?

Adam

I would contact Kerry Stottemyer. He loves doing this wacky stuff. I would bet he would provide a satisfactory part.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Kerry is talented, but he can't stop time which I am short on. I am doing this for school and have only a small window to provide results. Thus if I can't find one I'll leave it slick and run a scope. I have plans to put a Myers Arms Octagonal barrel on it later so I'm in no way out if I can't find one, just looking if there is one.

Adam

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Good question... Kevin Weaver did one of the rifles for me and Hill Country Rifles did the other two... a Lott and a .404.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7510 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about buying a replacement for a S.S. Ruger? Not sure about the IDs avail. Maybe not quite the style you wanted, but it could be reshaped a bit. No hood, though. And cast. But they do come in stainless. Brownells had them some years ago.

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Brownells still lists them. Alas they're not in stock and haven't been for over two months. I figure ruger might have them but I know they were only made for the #1 and don't know if the barrels, even on the 458Win would be sizeable enough to fit or made to fit.

Adam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midway lists the Ruger sights for the #1. I ordered the "medium sporter" and matching sling band. IIRC the ID of the one I got was 0.688"
Took forever but they did show up, about 6 months.

The Tropical sight is larger,
http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...ical-stainless-steel

Mark

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a few SS Ruger banded front sights that I bought from Brownell's and Midway a few years ago. One is from one of their large bore #1's that I bought expressly for use on a custom big bore Bisely I was going to build. I would try and chase one down, confirm the ID and see if it will work. I think I gave $40 for them. Also fitting with your Ruger based project.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Boxhead any info that ID?

Adam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I am now living in Queensland Australia so many miles from my home in Texas where all of my toys and parts reside. Perhaps a request from someone that has a big bore #1, the Ruger parts dept or Brownells?

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote