New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rare old Rigby 98
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Speed talks about these rifles in his book on sporting Mausers. Intermediate length, small rings that were left over from the GEW tests and the only ones Oberndorf ever sold commercially were retailed to Rigby. A client purchased this rifle in the Holt's auction I imported it for him. When it arrived it had a few issues he was not happy with, a couple of minor stock repairs, the front sight had been botched, a few areas of external deep pitting and some soft lettering. I was asked to strike out what I could on the metal and anything that could not be polished out sent to my engraver for micro welding when he picked up the lettering and proof marks. The existing stock finishing was flaking off and the color not correct for a Rigby. The good news is the rifling remains strong and nobody did anything other than the front sight damage that added to my job. Stock finish is traditional alkenet root in boiled linseed oil finished with Daly's Sea Fin and a slow rust blue using Pilkington's. Here are some before and after photos.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Can you resize the pics; all I see is brown fuzz.

Posts: 17092 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use imgur, large thumbnails, very easy.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
What caliber, .275?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.275 but set up for the 175 grain bullet.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
.275 but set up for the 175 grain bullet.

Proper!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent work with the restoration Steve. A vintage Rigby sure does have class.

The fiddle back figure of the stock reminds me of the Jim Corbett rifle.

The iron sights are wonderful. It's fortunate the rifle survived all these years without the desecration of being drilled and tapped for a scope.

Best Regards.

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Well it did not survive completely unmolested but it is all better now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a lovely old rifle. Can you post a close-up photo of the bolt mounted peep sight?

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is just a Lyman peep sight, the original Rigby peep has been lost to time.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Posts: 17092 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Externally, how similar are these actions to small ring Mexicans? Are the thumb cuts the same? Can the left wall of the Mexican be flattened to look identical? Just curious.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,
The thumbs cuts are most certainly not the same, the Mexican being much shallower. I think you can alter one to the same shape as the Oberndorf commercial action. I have a DWM Mexican action and the rear tang will need to be reshaped as well. I am not sure yet but it seems to me that if you cut the Mexican thumb cut just like an Oberndorf it might run into the lettering on the left wall. Still to be determined.
Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
Matt,
The thumbs cuts are most certainly not the same, the Mexican being much shallower. I think you can alter one to the same shape as the Oberndorf commercial action. I have a DWM Mexican action and the rear tang will need to be reshaped as well. I am not sure yet but it seems to me that if you cut the Mexican thumb cut just like an Oberndorf it might run into the lettering on the left wall. Still to be determined.
Steve

Thanks for commenting Steve. I had a 1902 Mexican action at one time. If I recall correctly, there was something different about the firing pin, but otherwise not really any different than a 1910.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote