New
Find
Notify
Tools

Customizing a Brno
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So I have this Brno 8x57mm and I am going to go ahead and do it the way I want it. The plan is to send it to JES and rebore it to 9.3x62mm, have the receiver and Talley rings and bases color case hardened, blue the barrel, add a lever floor plate release, 3 position safety, shorten the forend and add an ebony tip in the English style, a new red recoil pad. I have wanted to do one like this and have started a few times but ended up selling the last one. Trying to scratch off the bucket list guns

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I customized a brno mod 21 for myself, I bought the gun on AR and it was in project condition, but had a good 7x57 barrel and a bad 8x57 barrel, so I copied the stock design with a great piece of russian walnut, and built a switch barrel gun, had the old 8x57 barrel (complete wit sights and sleeve rebored to a 9.3x62...Loved it, but a fellow with more money than me had to have so away it went, leaving me with pictures...I can send pics to your email if you want, might help you design your rifle..Your on the right track a 9.3x62 really takes to that small ring action..and the specs of both my barrels were so close that the inletting fit both barrels with no modification between the two and both barrels shot to the same POI..a miracle for sure.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...1019521/m/7611014162

From your description, this level of work is more than what you're planning...but Brnos can be things of beauty!

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pacecars:
[img] https://i.postimg.cc/tRPMQZRy/...FC3-E9-A55.jpg[/img]

As a great fan of Brno, I salute you! clap

Please tell me you're going to keep the set triggers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I reworked a brno myself, fun project-

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why the re-bore (unless of course it is shot out) as with the 227 grain bullet the 8x57 is very potent.

Another idea of the throat is poor is either convert it to 8x60S (I had a Mauser in that calibre and it was very very good) or the American 8mm-06?

Meantime good luck with your project.

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bt8897:

Looks great nice work details please + thanks

Posts: 482 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's my Czechoslavakian Mauser in .270 WCF. Pictutred as it was when it came out of Holt's auction in England. Cost was but £60 and despite the awful previous owner's drill and tap it's nice enough as a classic iron sighted stalking rifle.

With regard to the OP's project the next lot down was this one linked below. Belgian, FN, in 9.3x62.

https://auctions.holtsauctione...o=+++51840&saletype=

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjr:
quote:

I'll second that. Particularly like to hear about that beautiful stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's my favorite customized BRNO: a Model 21 with a new bolt handle, three position safety and bottom metal in 7X64. If Winchester had chosen to offer this caliber in the Model 70, it's likely the .270 Winchester and .280 Remington would never have seen the light of day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
Here's my favorite customized BRNO: a Model 21 with a new bolt handle, three position safety and bottom metal in 7X64. If Winchester had chosen to offer this caliber in the Model 70, it's likely the .270 Winchester and .280 Remington would never have seen the light of day.

You're right, but it wouldn't market well in the U.S., especially back then. You know, it not bein' 'Merkin and all. They don't make money selling to our modest band of aficionados; they need to appeal to the masses of deer hunters in rural Sod Kicker Falls (insert prairie state here).

Beautiful rifle, by the way. As usual.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjr:
quote:

I bought a brno that had been bubba'd. Someone had apparently ground down the bolt handle with a angle grinder and added an aftermarket safety. I had the bolt handle replaced and a 3 position safety added. Bought a semi inletted blank and hogged it out, glass bedded the rifle to the templet stock and had it duplicated. The blank came from a deceased gunsmith estate for $300. I rust blued it myself. Kinda proud how it turned out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't it up for sale?

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it is. I bought another rifle in 9.3x62 that I have been after for a while so I no longer need this one since rechambering was the only reason I got it. It is a nice gun that I am kind of torn about selling but the 8x57mm duplicates other chamberings I have so it is not needed right now. Ah the fickleness of rifle looneys

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pacecars:
Yes it is. I bought another rifle in 9.3x62 that I have been after for a while so I no longer need this one since rechambering was the only reason I got it. It is a nice gun that I am kind of torn about selling but the 8x57mm duplicates other chamberings I have so it is not needed right now. Ah the fickleness of rifle looneys

Another Brno?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It may sound strange considering how much I love Brnos, Sharps rifles and all the classics but my favorite all weather hunting rifles are Steyr-Mannlicher Model M Professionals. I have had all the calibers except one and finally convinced the owner of a factory 9.3x62mm to let me buy it. It may be ugly but they shoot like crazy and that stock fits me better than any other rifle. Plus this one has a Mannlicher branded scope on it. Now I think I will search for a pristine full stock Brno in 7x57 to keep