THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Custom actions for ultra light rifles or NULA or Weatherby Ultra Light?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom actions for ultra light rifles or NULA or Weatherby Ultra Light?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Since I moved back to America in 2019 we have had a stack of different factory and custom actions through the house.

I really like the American Rifle Company Nucleus and the Zermatt Bighorn TL3. I am on Nucleus #5, and TL3 #1.

But, they are anvils.

Killed my Aoudad in 2020 with a 15 pound 300 Winchester. I'd be a lot happier with a 9 pound finished rifle.

I owned one of the Colt Light Rifles about 2 years ago. Spoke to the NULA guy about upgrading it and then spoke with a few guys that said his rifle actions were rough as hell. As he doesn't CNC or EDM anything. I am kind of spoiled these days by these actions that are CNC and EDM'd and I think it would bother me.

I am interested in what you think about the current generation of ultra light actions. Specifically the actions made of titanium, and those like the Nesika Anti and Anti-X.

What do you think about the 6.5-284 in a short action?

What about the 6.5 PRC, does it feed?

Weatherby is making some new Mark V's in Titanium and steel that are 4-5 pounds. Has anyone used one of those?

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The finished build will look something like this:

22 inch barrel in some sort of fast 6.5 or 7mm probably with a Proof Sendaro Light barrel.

I have 500 rounds of new 7mm Blaser brass (about like a 7mm Rem Mag), but am also considering a factory 6.5 Weatherby RPM, 6.5-284, or 6.5 PRC. The 7mm Blaser needs a long action.

Stock will be a 2.5 pound carbon fiber stock.

Scope will be a Leupold VX-6 3-18x50.

Goal is less than 9, and hopefully closer to 7 or 7.5.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 7mm Blaser needs a long action.

Are you planning a very long COAL ?
The 7mm Blaser case is 2.35 inches long, shorter than the 30.06
Why would you need a long action ?

Sorry, can't comment on your questions re actions of interest.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Since I moved back to America in 2019 we have had a stack of different factory and custom actions through the house.

I really like the American Rifle Company Nucleus and the Zermatt Bighorn TL3. I am on Nucleus #5, and TL3 #1.

But, they are anvils.

Killed my Aoudad in 2020 with a 15 pound 300 Winchester. I'd be a lot happier with a 9 pound finished rifle.

I owned one of the Colt Light Rifles about 2 years ago. Spoke to the NULA guy about upgrading it and then spoke with a few guys that said his rifle actions were rough as hell. As he doesn't CNC or EDM anything. I am kind of spoiled these days by these actions that are CNC and EDM'd and I think it would bother me.

I am interested in what you think about the current generation of ultra light actions. Specifically the actions made of titanium, and those like the Nesika Anti and Anti-X.

What do you think about the 6.5-284 in a short action?

What about the 6.5 PRC, does it feed?

Weatherby is making some new Mark V's in Titanium and steel that are 4-5 pounds. Has anyone used one of those?

I started searching for an ultra lightweight rifle about two years ago. I eventually purchased a Christensen arms and a Barrett field craft.

The field craft is a superb rifle. Extremely accurate and mine weighs sub 7lbs scoped and loaded. It’s a real pity Barrett stopped making it. I would have ideally liked a 270win or 30-06 but could only get a 6.5 creed.

Have a look at these rifles, for the price I can’t see anything better.

Posts: 385 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How did you get a hunting rifle to 15 pounds?

Are you really looking for a lightweight rifle, sub 7 pounds? I ask this in light of your comment that you'd be happy with a 9 pound all in set up which I would put in the normal/standard weight class. Whatever that means...

I have experience with the Weatherby Ultra Lightweight, Barrett Fieldcraft, Kimber Montana, and Christensen Ridgeline. Of those, I only hunted with the Weatherby and it is a decent package that shot well enough for hunting, handled and carried well. I have handled a few of the new WBY Backcountry rifles and they seem like a package that is worth evaluating. Good balance and good stock ergo's. Though, I'm personally not sold on Ti as an action material.

The Barrett, Kimber and Christensen where worked out at the range and never made it to deck to go hunting. Yes, they all shot well, but each one had enough nits to pick that they were sent to a different foster home. The Kimber's (7mm-08) and Barretts (6.5 Creed) ergo's don't work for me. Perhaps I could have made one work for a very specific hunt but I didn't have the motivation to find that value. Though a well put together package, the Barrett had some gaps around the bolt that looked directly into the magazine box that raised my hackles as well. The Kimber had a rattle fit to it when compared to the Weatherby and Barrett.

The Christensen. I can not in good conscience recommend one of these to anyone. Up front, the rifle which was a .300 PRC shot lights out. It is light and the muzzle brake is effective. For a 7-ish pound rifle in a .300 mag it was a pleasure to shoot off of the bench though it didn't balance or handle to my liking. The rifles floor plate would open most times the trigger was pulled on live ammo. A replacement item from Christensen didn't solve the problem. This problem also occurs on one of my hunting partners Ridgeline in .300 Win Mag. Christensen rifles use a chickenshit piece of carbon fiber cloth for a magazine box. This has zero structural integrity that is required of a magazine box in any axis. If Christensen is your choice you'd do well to replace the mag box with a Rem 700 OEM box or something similar. As is the current trend go with frill and not function the bolt handle on the rifle is fluted and the flutes have edges are close to a razor blade in edge geometry. Need I say more. In light of that I do like the Christensen Ridgeline stock and its ergos.

Out of those four I would rank them as follows:

1.) Weatherby
2.) Barret Fieldcraft
3.) Kimber
4.) Christensen.

The Weatherby and Barrett seem to be about the same in build execution with a slight edge going to Barrett but I don't like the ergo's.

In full disclosure I prefer M70 type rifles that in that weigh 7 to 9 pounds depending on cartridge. Your experience almost certainly vary and may be different.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
The problem with titanium is that it stretches too much under the high pressure of firing. Note that all the manufacturers of these actions have been scrambling to find the right coatings for action and bolt due to binding. This is all about stretch. The cartridge shoulder pushes further forward on ignition, and when the action relaxes to normal, crunch. With lower pressure rounds, it’s not much issue, but with higher pressure rounds, no good.

If I was looking no build a lightweight, id be seriously looking at BAT machines aluminum offerings.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have noticed that many Christensen's users report quality control problems. Never owned one, but every one I have ever touched felt very factory.

Weatherby Mark V's always feel nice, and now that Weatherby is using a higher end trigger it really is a game changer. Having loved Weatherby Mark V's my entire life, I am heavily swayed that way. Glad to hear that the Backcountry tested well.

Never got to handle a Barrett, by the time I got interested they were gone.

There are a couple of NULAS on Gunbroker but both are bigger calibers than a little 5 pound rifle should be chambered in 300 Win and 338 Win.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Buddy has the Weatherby in 30-06. loves it.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tikka T3x Superlite in 7mm Rem Mag (I would do 6,5x55)
High Tec Composits stock from NZ.
Sportsmatch rings.

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
for a 6.5-284 I’d be looking at an XM length from defiance, lots of options to get just what you’re after.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've owned a NULA in 284 win for about 10 years, i'd disagree with anyone that says their actions are " rough as hell ". Maybe the colt copies were, I don't know. But my rifle shoots and functions amazingly. I would not hesitate to recommend them .

Posts: 59 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 01 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LOts of folks are going for ultra light big game rifles and the vision that one carries a gun more than shooting it, and so that may be, BUT in my opine a gun under 8.5 lbs scoped is hard to hold under less than ideal conditions, especially shooting off hand as you top a ridge at a run and there stands the animal who makes that dash for safety, and that light rifle bounces around like a bb in a boxcar...Just my two bits..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what do you pick if you want a controlled round ultralight action?

How about that Satterlee titanium action - if available?

KJK

Posts: 677 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
CZ 527 but you are limited to PPC case size

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok so I finally handled the Savage Ultra Light with the Proof Research barrel. Nice rifle.

I also compared it to a Tikka T3 cerakote camo Lite and a Kimber Ultralight (camo, gun can't remember the name).

Having owned a couple of dogshit Kimbers I am going to ignore that it exist, but it is a nice feeling rifle. I don't think it is lighter than the short action Savage with both rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Price is also 80% more than the Savage.

Tikka is virtually the same price, but at least a pound heavier. It is a Tikka so I think at least the action is better.

Savage had the vertical grip, and higher comb, I think that will be easier to use with a Leupold Vx5 3-18.

Howa has some kind of carbon fiber stocked and barreled rifle, but I can't find one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weatherby announced their 2nd generation backcountry rifle today.

$3000, but quite a lot of rifle for what it is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just bought a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather in 308 win. Topped it off with a Leupold VX3 2.t x 8 in Talley lightweight one piece rings. Rifle is wayyyy sub MOA. Total weight all up 7.5 lbs. Might work for you as well.

posted Hide Post
First hand experience having owned all 4 of these rifles I would put a weatherby towards the end of the lightweight lists. I would take a nula or Barrett fc any day especially on a mountain hunt. Kimber Montana is a good rifle too but can be subject to quality control issues. I have a nula and my action is not rough. Upgrading a colt light rifle is a very good deal if you want a magnum. Everyone has different preferences but presently I consider the Barrett and Nula as good as it gets in a lightweight rifle. They also shoot quite well easily 10 shots inside 1MOA and if you like 3 shot groups you can make .5 moa. All depends on what you want to accomplish.

Posts: 21 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 03 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I used to zero, load ammo and maintain rifles for a wealthy gentleman. He paid me well and I got to enjoy a lot of rifles that I could only dream of owning in those days. He had a large selection of Melvin Forbes ultra light rifles (now NULA). Although some of the calibers were not enjoyable to shoot, they were all smooth cycling and shot great. I always dreamed of owning one of Melvin Forbes rifles so I visited him a few years ago and had him build me a 7x57. Most "lightweight" rifles are just butchered versions of their full size father. Mr. Forbes makes a genuine lightweight rifle.

Safe shooting

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
I used to zero, load ammo and maintain rifles for a wealthy gentleman. He paid me well and I got to enjoy a lot of rifles that I could only dream of owning in those days. He had a large selection of Melvin Forbes ultra light rifles (now NULA). Although some of the calibers were not enjoyable to shoot, they were all smooth cycling and shot great. I always dreamed of owning one of Melvin Forbes rifles so I visited him a few years ago and had him build me a 7x57. Most "lightweight" rifles are just butchered versions of their full size father. Mr. Forbes makes a genuine lightweight rifle.

Safe shooting

+1

Posts: 124 | Location: Hickory, PA | Registered: 13 May 2015Reply With Quote