New
Find
Notify
Tools

505 Gibbs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After 8 months my GMA action has arrived, Stock, Barrel and Action off to the Gunsmith ...

Posts: 1610 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The makings of an awesome build. Who will be doing it?

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

I love the fiddleback in that stock blank. That's my favorite kind of figure. I like the black mineral streaks, too, but tiger striping like that is tops in my book.

Please post photos of the finished product!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13379 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger has this story about a 505 Gibbs...Invite two friends to shoot it, take 5 rounds of ammo..You come back with three rounds and no friends!

Posts: 3451 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice wood.
I like my stocks like women. If they have good figure I don’t care what color they are.

M

Posts: 1227 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Roger has this story about a 505 Gibbs...Invite two friends to shoot it, take 5 rounds of ammo..You come back with three rounds and no friends!

Duane,
Roger told me that story while talking with him one day as I had told him my PH let me shoot his 505. I found the recoil nowhere near what I had expected, though it is definitely not a gun you just go plinking with.

Posts: 748 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoot a 450NE and a 458 Lott with no problems
Hoping for the Gun too weigh approx 11 - 11.5lbs empty

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
That is the same weight as my .500 A-Square.

With full loads (570 grain TSX bullets at 2,500 fps), it still tops 100 ft.-lbs. of recoil energy, but with proper technique, it is quite manageable.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13379 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 505 Gibbs that weighs 9.0 lbs. after I had the barrel chopped off to 22".

I shoot 600 gr. Woodleighs at 2,150 fps. It definitely gets my attention, but I can shoot tennis-ball size groups at 25 yds.

For my design purpose of that round, which is a follow-up of a wounded animal in close cover, that level of accuracy is just fine.

The largest caliber I have used in Africa on Buffalo is a 458 Lott, and have taken them with my 404 Jeffery and 375 H&H. These are the largest calibers that I want to hunt with as I know I may (and have) had to shoot up to 100 yds. at Buffalo. But I think hunting a Buffalo and following up a Buffalo (or Elephant, Rhino, Hippo, etc.) in close cover, can be two different scenarios.

Having said all that, I have never taken my 505 Gibbs to Africa yet, so take my words for whatever that's worth.

My point being, I don't like carrying rifles in the 10 lb. weight class all day long, let alone, anything heavier. My three amigos (458, 404, 375) all weigh 8.5 lbs. each. It is what I have carried for followups in (7) of my safaris that have included DG.

I suppose some will criticize me for being a whimp to avoid carrying heavy rifles, but then I would simply fireback they are whimps for not accepting the recoil of big bores in a delightful carry-weight rifle.

Each man picks his poison I guess. For myself, I never feel the recoil in the moment I fire rounds at DG, so, light weight rifles appeal to me. And at least to this point in time, the amigos have sufficed in the followups as well. Maybe I'll never use my 505...

By the way, congrats on your new rifle parts! A Granite Mountain 505 Gibbs would be a dream rifle to own. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mines built on a Montana action, about 10 1\2 pounds. I've killed one Buff with it. Lugging it up and down the hills at Makuya for five days really made me wish I'd had my 8 lb 375.......

If I ever hunt another elephant ill use it.

Posts: 41767 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Zephyr, your 400 H&H is not enough gun for you? Wink

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CZ:
Hey Zephyr, your 400 H&H is not enough gun for you? Wink

My 400H&H has been loyal and trustworthy so has my 450NE and My Lott. But fell in love with a 505 Gibbs a handful of years ago and would like to use it for Tuskless and Buff in 2022 ... There is something very seductive about looking down at the muzzle end of a 50+ cal