New
Find
Notify
Tools

Full Stock Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone recommend a smith to build a full stock rifle? My intent is to build a 7x57 on a Mauser action. I've looked through the ACGG's website and I'm not seeing anyone that has a lot of experience building this style of rifle.

Ralf Martini created a beautiful rifle for me a couple years ago and I plan on seeing if this is a project he'd be interested in, but I suspect not given his focus on British rifles. Any leads are appreciated.

Posts: 83 | Location: Stephenville, TX & Hamilton, MT | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greetings! Thank you for looking at the ACGG first! While there may not be a lot of pictures of Full stocked rifles to view in the Gallery Pictures, the room is full of competent Stockers who know what to do and when.

Start with Reto Buehler, James Tucker, Matt Roberts, Roger Ferrell, David Christman, Mark Cromwell, James Bisio, Steve Bertram, Brian Board, Chuck Grace, James Kobe, Glen Morovitz, and of course Dennis Earl Smith(who is not taking any new work just now).

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 310 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A recent back issue #168 page 19 of the ACGG magazine
'Gunmaker' featured pictures and a story of a full stocked 98 Mauser built by Chuck Grace.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to take anything away from any of the Guild members mentioned, but If I wanted a full stocked Mauser made (and if I had some cash) I would contact Duane Wiebe. That choice would be made based upon photos of one of a pair of g.33/40 rifles he did a number of years ago. One of them was a full stocked rifle. These photos were previously posted on AR by the owner of the rifles.

Here is the other one of the pair

KJK

Posts: 675 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brings back memories...the young lady if Forrest B's daughter. She's all grown up and has a baby of her own.

The full length stocked rifle is a take down...the only one I ever did in the mannlicher stock style.

Dennis Smith was just doing his job as part of membership/recruiting committee.

I was a charter member, so was Jerry Fisher, Dave Wesbrook, David Miller, Curt Crum. John Bollinger. James Anderson departed a while back...The Guild just ain't for everyone!

Posts: 3433 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was unaware James had left! I will have to call him up and discuss his reasons. No matter. The craftsmanship of all of the above is without question some of the best available. Duane, you are missed. I know your reasons. I am glad you still talk to me. Keep up the great work!

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 310 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there a rule of thumb for required blank length for a full stock rifle, with let's say 22" barrel?

Posts: 706 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This would be a personal choice, of course. From an appearance sake, a 22" barrel on a rifle that had a 12-1/2" pull would look pretty strange...Now if that had a 15-1/2" pull...may look OK.

For the normal configuration...again with appearance in mind, 20" or less might be about right. Otherwise, may as well not use a full length stock.

I once built a 6.5 x 55 full length stock 13 5/8" pull, 16-1/2" barrel. In my mind just looked "spot on"

Posts: 3433 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might be impossible to find a photo but I remember way back when that Interarms used to sell a full length stocked Mark X Mauser. Had a chance to buy one once and kick myself now for passing on the deal.

KJK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon Speed's "The Mauser Archive" shows a number of examples of the full length stocks with long barrels. double schnabels, hands guards....neat stuff!

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
Might be impossible to find a photo but I remember way back when that Interarms used to sell a full length stocked Mark X Mauser. Had a chance to buy one once and kick myself now for passing on the deal.

Picked up a NIB Mk X FS in 7x57 not long ago.

Some years back in San Antonio, I saw a real nice 24" Mauser FS. Looked good because the Germans knew to keep the fore end as slim as possible. Not like most American variants.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4856 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ZLR

How can you tell us about your FS Mark x without showing a photo or two???

KJK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alternately, you could show a photo or two...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found another photo of that full stocked rifle by Duane. Beautiful rifle. Nice Deer. Seems to me I recall the caliber is 7 x 57 and the scope is a swarovski and the bottom metal was by Ted Blackburn

KJK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That rifle by Duane is spectacular. You don't see a lot of full stocked take downs...though I do have one as well.
Built by A. Dees and R. Hanson of Havre, Montana it is also a 7x57

Posts: 370 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post