New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300 WSM on GMA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It's been awhile since I've seen a post on a custom rifle (Mr. O'Connor's rifle notwithstanding) So I figured I'd share a pic or two (or 14) of the latest work from the bench. Built on an early production GMA. Smithson scope mounts. Engraving by Rachel Wells.

Posts: 561 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
clap

Posts: 458 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Super clean and sharp, very nice work!

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work. Love the British influence.

Is Rachel Wells related to Frank Wells? Or maybe the late Fred Wells of Prescott?

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Interesting,
Built on a Prescott action.
It's been a good dozen years since GMA was in Prescott.
I made small parts for Mike when he was in Prescott. 3 position safeties, cocking pieces, extractors.
Shortly thereafter he handed the whole works off to John they moved to Phoenix.

Nice work. tu2

Posts: 1209 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all.

Jeffery: Rachel's the widow of the late Fred Wells in Prescott, AZ. I actually took several engraving classes from her about 10 years ago. Truly the salt of the earth type of woman. A little too kind, as even though I scored very high marks in her class, I wisely chose to stick with the gunmaking Smiler Last I heard she's still going strong in the shop everyday.

Posts: 561 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Stuart,
It was neat to see one of their early actions. I'm sure not many of these are left in action form. I inherited this project after ill health caused it to sit on another gunmaker's bench for quite some time. It had your three position on it with blackburn bottom metal and trigger. John's doing everything in house now down in Phoenix.
Thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
Interesting,
I made small parts for Mike when he was in Prescott. 3 position safeties, cocking pieces, extractors.

Nice work. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Wow!

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a thing of beauty!
Thanks for sharing with us Mr MNR.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNR:
Thank you all.

Jeffery: Rachel's the widow of the late Fred Wells in Prescott, AZ. I actually took several engraving classes from her about 10 years ago. Truly the salt of the earth type of woman. A little too kind, as even though I scored very high marks in her class, I wisely chose to stick with the gunmaking Smiler Last I heard she's still going strong in the shop everyday.

Thanks for the background information. That shop (Prescott) was a Mecca. Long ago, early 80s I think, I took a trip to Prescott and stopped by the shop. Fred was not there at the time but his wife (didn't remember she was Rachel) was minding the store. Bought one of the first Kimber 22s from her there. There were many fascinating and tempting things to check out on the rifle rack. She was very nice to a late 20s guy with wide eyes for African rifles.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
looks great!
I'm sure feeding was fun. Big Grin

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1827 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Righteous Matt, lucky client

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks James! Ya, I'd like to murder whoever came up with those line of cartridges Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
looks great!
I'm sure feeding was fun. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Thanks for showing us.

Posts: 422 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A rifle with a soul. Thanks for sharing. You are gifted, kudos.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting,

Nice work. tu2

Just out of curiosity, what, if any, are the distinguishing physical features that differentiate a Prescott action and a Phoenix action?

KJK

Posts: 676 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The lines of that rifle are perfection.

Posts: 370 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
That's a dandy!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7512 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Excellent work, Matthew. A true modern classic.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
In one of my favorite calibers! Big Grin I've literally killed scores of game with it. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
quote:
Interesting,

Nice work. tu2

Just out of curiosity, what, if any, are the distinguishing physical features that differentiate a Prescott action and a Phoenix action?

Zoom in on left side of the action, it says Prescott AZ. That's one thing I picked up on.

Back in about '04 worked up a 1/2 dozen GMA k barreled actions for Westley Richards, obviously all
Prescott actions as the Phoenix move hadn't happened.
Neat little actions.
The one thing I found necessary to change so I could get a really good feed was the follower spring. I went to a Rem. 700 S/A spring, they have the proper tension figured out, the GMA follower springs I had where so ungodly thick and strong they were basically useless.

Posts: 1209 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Timan..good idea...I used to put them in he kitchen oven at 500... that worked well too

MNR: Very pretty rile!

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
How sweet it is!

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you say Smithson mounts, did you machine the the GMA square bridges and get his rings? Or weld on his bases?

Sweet rifle. I really like the barrel contour. How is the front sling swivel attached? It has a tiny base.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Smithson rings are machined directly into the square bridges.
The front sling swivel is soldered on.
Thank you!
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
When you say Smithson mounts, did you machine the the GMA square bridges and get his rings? Or weld on his bases?

Sweet rifle. I really like the barrel contour. How is the front sling swivel attached? It has a tiny base.

Jeremy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Outstanding, beautiful !

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
That is pure filth! shocker

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle!
Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 657 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fabulous.

DRSS

Posts: 1895 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote