New
Find
Notify
Tools

VZ33 barreled action price
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've found a VZ33 barreled action in 270. It has a banded front sight and an adjustable peep. It is very clean has a nice crest on the front ring. It has a factory trigger and I've not seen the bottom metal.
I would like to make an offer, but I'm in left field on this.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How motivated is the seller, VZ33's are scarce? Have seen from time to time actions on GB from low $500s for bubba'd units requiring lots of work to $1000-$2500+ for pristine, intact rifles. You are an honorable man, you'll find the sweet spot. It's a rarity that purchasing a VZ33 these days isn't going to hurt a little unless money is no object. Good luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have a PM.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will pick it up today. It turns out to be a complete rifle.
I was due a home run.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good deal Butch. Make it into something worthy of residing in your collection :-)

Posts: 20073 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Were the VZ-33 actions made by the same factory that made the G.33/40 actions?

KJK

Posts: 675 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
Were the VZ-33 actions made by the same factory that made the G.33/40 actions?

The VZ33 was a Czech rifle and the G33-40 was German if I'm not mistaken.
I'll take photos tomorrow and hope I can do something with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The VZ33 and G33-40 are basically the same, both made by Brno in Czechoslovakia.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
33-40 was the German designation for the same rifle after they took over the factory.
Small ring, small .980 thread.
Yes 33s are quite rare, but his one has already been butchered. No one would sporterize an original 33 or 33-40 now.
What is a 33 sporter worth?

Posts: 17023 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
33-40 was the German designation for the same rifle after they took over the factory.
Small ring, small .980 thread.
Yes 33s are quite rare, but his one has already been butchered. No one would sporterize an original 33 or 33-40 now.
What is a 33 sporter worth?

Tom, so you are saying I got screwed paying $350 for it? Should I have refused it since it was "butchered"?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
How can you possibly get that inference from what I wrote? I don't recall giving an estimated value at all. I was just giving history.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a G33/40 fell into my lap, my first thought would be how to sporterize it (value not withstanding). What's one more or less original G33/40 matter? Besides, it's Nazi Germany heritage not my heritage, and as such I don't venerate it. I still view German Mausers as war booty to be done with as the victor sees fit.

Posts: 329 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Unless you have $2000 you want to instantly convert to $500.
If you don't care about money, or collectors or historical value, have at it. I have vet bring back, matching 33-40s for sale; also every variation and maker of Kar98K, :PM me if you are serious.
It's 8 below zero here today, (and not that sissy Centigrade below either) and everything covered with snow. Not a good start.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Notice I said "value not withstanding". I was speaking theoretically/philosophically. I'm not dumb enough to spend "collector" money for rifles to be customized, especially for rifles that represent a regime of utter evilness. I still have a couple 98k's gathering dust as their position on the "project list" gets shuffled further down with each passing season.

Snowing like a banshee here, but 34 degrees Fahrenheit so it's not sticking on the roads too well.

Posts: 329 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I wish for 34.
Good 98ks are worth a lot now too. If you want actions to build stuff on, let me know; I have 50 of them, cheap. From an estate. No one wants them any more even though they say they do.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Butchered is a bit strong dpcd. Doncha think?
Lambert made a damn good buy on that VZ-33 at that price.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5084 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Hey Butch, I'm dying to see pictures!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:

Some people use "butchered" where others might use "sporterized". I don't think he was trying to denigrate the rifle, but was rather pointing out that it was not in original form.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:

Some people use "butchered" where others might use "sporterized". I don't think he was trying to denigrate the rifle, but was rather pointing out that it was not in original form.

I used to post a lot of photos, but Google bought out the folks that I used to post an the other that I stored the photos. The big problem was not so much the price that they wanted, but I couldn't do a bulk download. All I have are 2 poor photos of the front ring and the LH side of the receiver. PM an email address and I'll email those to you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How can a VZ33 or G33-40 be worth more than $600, when you can buy a complete rifle like a Brno mod.21 or 22, for $800 to $900 or less if its less than original, or a mod 35 Mauser German Customs service carbine rifle (g33-40) for $600..Not easy to find them but ive managed to pick them up every chance I got..I think at one time someone had a few for sale on AR at $350 too 400..Im always on the look out and been pretty lucky recently...I will stick my neck out here and say the bottom has fallen out of the mauser action market recently or has in these parts, in fact guns in general or not selling locally or at gun shows. I seem to be the only buyer anymore. I noticed Dpcd sold some darn nice Mauser actions just recently and stated they were not bringing much..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41752 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Intact unmolested original military rifles are bringing crazy money these days. Parts of said rifles not so much. Although there is a thread in a collector forum where bolt heads for Gew88 rifles are going for $800 plus! I remember when the complete rifles were sold out of barrels for $25 each.

Posts: 3650 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"...bolt heads..." ?????

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5496 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gnoahhh:
If a G33/40 fell into my lap, my first thought would be how to sporterize it (value not withstanding). What's one more or less original G33/40 matter? Besides, it's Nazi Germany heritage not my heritage, and as such I don't venerate it. I still view German Mausers as war booty to be done with as the victor sees fit.

The victor writes history.,the war's over, the action is a damn fine example of the prefect bolt action, but refined. I will offer a fair price to any that "fall into your lap"

Posts: 3433 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The question is: What is a "fair" price - either to buy one or to sell one?

KJK

Posts: 675 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
The question is: What is a "fair" price - either to buy one or to sell one?

A fair price depends entirely on condition. Basic rocket science!

Posts: 3433 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote