New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good inletting for an amateur
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are not already, you need to join the ACGG, at least as an associate member.

Nice work

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Damn nice work and super tight inletting. What finish do you use?

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys I forgot to post that I found that at another site.

The guy did that for a friend and when the friend got too old to shoot he bought the rifle.

I finished the inletting of several stocks with I was a teenager. I could never approach anything like that. I can hold my own with a lathe and milling machine but for me inletting stocks is more difficult than playing the violin.

Metal for me is very logical and straight forward.
Wood stocks are like women. No two are the same and they are frustrating and totally unpredictable.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Inletting is overplayed, Any kid can inlet with just a bit of training...remove only the black, its that simple unless you get in a hurry....

there are some tricks to inletting that cause most of the problems..one problem that pops up is the round corner..Use a match stick, dip it in water and apply drops to the corner area then compress the metal into the area a bit at a time..let dry and clean it lightly. This is for the action corners on bolt gun...the other is scraping out a barrel that wants to move laterally..most of the time you don't want to remove barrel channel wood, the problem is the tang fit is pushing the barrel over. Being able to make your own inletting tools from screw driver or whatever for a certain problem..Taking your time and finishing the inside like you do the outside is a big plus. Aways stop and think if you have a problem area, keep in mind that anyone can remove wood, putting it back is the hard part... Smiler

Its not voodoo as some would like for you to believe..I believe most stock makers would agree..

I do believe that some people have and eye for design and other do not, stockmaking is an art form. I think making stocks or guns for a living would be horrible, deadlines and telephone calls equate to shoddy work in many cases. Eeker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No good inletting is NOT over played.
I have see less than perfect inletting on most rifles no matter who the artist was. All you have to do is look at the details.

quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Inletting is overplayed, Any kid can inlet with just a bit of training...remove only the black, its that simple unless you get in a hurry....

there are some tricks to inletting that cause most of the problems..one problem that pops up is the round corner..Use a match stick, dip it in water and apply drops to the corner area then compress the metal into the area a bit at a time..let dry and clean it lightly. This is for the action corners on bolt gun...the other is scraping out a barrel that wants to move laterally..most of the time you don't want to remove barrel channel wood, the problem is the tang fit is pushing the barrel over. Being able to make your own inletting tools from screw driver or whatever for a certain problem..Taking your time and finishing the inside like you do the outside is a big plus. Aways stop and think if you have a problem area, keep in mind that anyone can remove wood, putting it back is the hard part... Smiler

Its not voodoo as some would like for you to believe..I believe most stock makers would agree..

I do believe that some people have and eye for design and other do not, stockmaking is an art form. I think making stocks or guns for a living would be horrible, deadlines and telephone calls equate to shoddy work in many cases. Eeker

One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
I am a metal smith - and not too bad at it. Metal will yield to your will when you use enough heat or force but wood has it's own personality and after you have made it perfect - it changes it's mind and goes off in some weird direction just to frustrate you.

My brother is a wood-worker and he can do amazing things with it. He "allows" the wood to have it's way but somehow it turns out just like the drawing.

My best work with wood is making sawdust - that I do well.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You're so full of shit your eyes gotta be brown.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:

tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The premise Ray put forward is sound. Lots of patience and very sharp tools are the basis for a good inletting job. Not everyone is suited to the task though.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Upon removal of the metal, the inside should look like a good job of glass bedding...but no glass!

Duane,

some people consider using epoxy in bedding as unorthodox or even 'cheating'

Yet people use epoxy to cheat[make things easier] in other areas-processes of a rifle build, without bother.
Strangely enough, such other -epoxy assisted- build methods are considered by some as ingenious, rather than 'cheating'.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
quote:

tu2

Y'all obviously haven't seen any of Ray,s stocks.

They are impressive-------and a delight to shoot.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Russell:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
quote:

tu2

Y'all obviously haven't seen any of Ray,s stocks.

They are impressive-------and a delight to shoot.

I never said they weren't.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I mastered stockwork and inletting without even really trying...its called a check book.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
I mastered stockwork and inletting without even really trying...its called a check book.
tu2 Yep!

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Never saw the wisdom of removing wood to leave room for a layer of plastic between the wood and metal.

but you do use the convenience of modern epoxy to assist you in parts of the process of a rifle build.

Not only you , but other reknown rifle makers also use the convenience of epoxy to assist them
in more easily attaining the best results in metal and wood.

In fact some bespoke rifles & shotguns would not be as fine as they are, without the use of epoxy in the build process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I BELIEVE WE ALL COULD BENEFIT FROM PAYING CLOSE ATTENTION TO WHAT DUANE SAYS.

I WOULD NOT CONSIDER SUGGESTING TO MY DOCTOR THE SCALPEL I WOULD PREFER HE/SHE USED FOR MY SURGERY, EITHER.

STEPHEN

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Very nice inletting job Duane. The strip of metal inletted reminds me of half the ‘L’ shaped metal piece typically inletted in military stocks.

Which if you don’t mind raises two questions? First, “How important is a strip or ‘L’ shaped metal piece inletted behind the recoil lug in a M98 Mauser stock destined for use with a BB cartridge?” And second, “If a metal strip or ‘L’ shaped metal piece is inletted, how close to the metal strip should the cross-bolt be installed?”

Heck I should ask a third question, “Are the above two questions covered in your new Feeding & Function of a Converted Mauser booklet?”

Thanks for your time.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Thanks Duane.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I've never commissioned a custom rifle from one of the masters on here, but one day I will. To me the mystique and authenticity of this type of inletting is one of the major reasons why to do so.

If you have never seen it, get a copy of David Wesbrook's book "Professional Stockmaking". It is truly inspirational.

Now, with that said, I've glass bedded plenty of rifles! And as an amateur myself, I think SR4759 did a fine job!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
BTW - I also like the technique of a crossbolt with square internals that is inletted and sits perfectly against the recoil lug. I always thought that was pretty cool and classic.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Austin,
That is not my work. I high jacked that photo from another site.
The guy is an amateur and I was really impressed by his skill. I wish I could do that well in wood. I suspect it takes a good number of tools that I don't have and a lot of patience that I don't have. I suspect a good vise and good light also help.

quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
I've never commissioned a custom rifle from one of the masters on here, but one day I will. To me the mystique and authenticity of this type of inletting is one of the major reasons why to do so.

If you have never seen it, get a copy of David Wesbrook's book "Professional Stockmaking". It is truly inspirational.

Now, with that said, I've glass bedded plenty of rifles! And as an amateur myself, I think SR4759 did a fine job!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do not...I repeat, do not tell me how I bed a stock. You just don't know what the hell you're talking about. I KNOW how I inlet a stock...it's wood to metal

Glass has it's place as a last resort for repair. In my opinion, that's ALL it's good for

Non one is telling you how you bed your stocks..- its my understanding that you are purely a wood to metal person in that regard.
However, lest I have been grossly misinformed, you do in fact use the convenience of epoxy to assist in parts of the rifle build process,
not necessarily in the stocking process.

ITs my understanding that you use the modern convenience of epoxy to take negative impressions of barrels and use that epoxy impression to
assist in making other parts to fit.

OF course in my mind theres nothing wrong with that epoxy method, since people use the same technique to get a more precise epoxy impression of metal work in an old wood stock
that needs to go through a pantograph, resulting in much more precise inletting of the new blank.

ITs undeniable that rifle builders today employ the advantages of modern epoxy in their attempts to achieve the best result possible in bespoke firearms construction.
Now, whether epoxy is directly used in bedding the stock, or indirectly to assist with more accurate reproduction of components,..the convenient use of epoxy
none the less still contributes to a more precise-higher std. finished product.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wha do you have? controlling interest in Acra Glas?

Do not...I repeat, do not tell me how I bed a stock. You just don't know what the hell you're talking about. I KNOW how I inlet a stock...it's wood to metal.

Glass has it's place as a last resort for repair. In my opinion, that's ALL it's good for

Authority has spoken patriot.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
So, Duane, what are your thoughts (positive & negative) about using epoxy bedding in high-powered target rifles which may see anything up to 20,000 rounds of shooting in a couple of years of use?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
So, Duane, what are your thoughts (positive & negative) about using epoxy bedding in high-powered target rifles which may see anything up to 20,000 rounds of shooting in a couple of years of use?

You mean like a Barrett or Accuracy International rifle?

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any kid can inlet with just a bit of training...remove only the black, its that simple unless you get in a hurry....

I suppose that kid might want to know when to stop removing the black as well.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dempsey:
quote:
Any kid can inlet with just a bit of training...remove only the black, its that simple unless you get in a hurry....

I suppose that kid might want to know when to stop removing the black as well.

Dempsey you are spot on, knowing when not to remove the black is just as important.This only comes from much experience.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:

You mean like a Barrett or Accuracy International rifle?

Or like the great majority of across-the-course rifles since about 1960 were until the Mattels took over most of the scene...and as I suspect virtually all 1,000 yard benchrest rifles are.

Matter fact, having lived through the transition into expoxy bedding, I seem to recall that one of its premier selling points was the reduction (not elimination) of bedding changes due to atmospheric exposure of conventional bedded riles, and the resulting reduction of season-to-season POI changes. That seems to have become even more useful as the quality of affordable stock wood has declined over the years.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craigster,
I would be glad to send you a picture of the inletting on the .338 I have posted under Custom guns, that way I wouldn't be picking a special stock. I'd have to send it to your email as posting pictures is something I can't do and I'm sure its not that difficult, or so I've been told...

I posted my opinnion to encourage stockmaking, as inletting sends fear in the souls of young stockmakers and it shouldn't be that way, its not that hard to do..I have helped a lot of young boys that wanted to build gunstocks..

If you got a problem with that, the problem is yours, not mine..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glass can be a indication of poor work, or it can be a pretty good idea in some cases and I like it on Safari..I have seen too many beautiful custom guns split out on Safari and I have seen a lot of fine English guns that when you got inside the were split to one degree or another..

Properly cured wood that has been properly laid out is pretty darn stable, but its hard to come by and damn expensive..I use it on my lighter caliber rifles...I use my guns hard, so I can't totally condem glass, but again it depends on how the glass is use, I don't like heavy layers of glass except in the tang and recoil lugs.

IMO, and on a gun I build for myself and one that is a big bore like a 458 Lott or 505 , I will use a paint coat of glass in the barrel channel, glass the recoil lug and tang, maybe and inch of barrel and the rear of the extra recoil lug, I will then use two cross bolts and I may run a threaded bolt thru the grip area that is glassed in..Bur all this on the real big bores for myself, I'm not locked in one way or the other for my rifles...

On a sale gun or custom build, I let the buyer tell my what to do on that count..

Just a differnt take, but the bottom line with me is I like it on the real big bores Lott and up..I don't use glass much on smaller calibers (30-06 etc), The mediums I like bedding braces with two cross bolts.

I have heard claims of if I bed a 505 it won't break, maybe so, but I'm cauiously doubtful after seeing a few of them come apart and by some mighty fine stock makers I might add. I have also talked to PHs who told me the same.

I figure on a $40,000 safari I don't want to finish it up with a Safaro camp gun..

Not an arguement, just the other side of the story..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a client who uses a lead sled on a 500 Jeff I built and he has shot dozens of rounds. As you know, a lead sled will punish a stock WAY more than from the shoulder..no glass here, by the way.

sofa

Mike

Posts: 21091 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
I have a client who uses a lead sled on a 500 Jeff I built and he has shot dozens of rounds. As you know, a lead sled will punish a stock WAY more than from the shoulder..no glass here, by the way.

sofa

I saw that one in person.It has a muzzle break.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
No muzzle break, it is ported.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes muzzle break-ported muzzle break.
ported muzzle break

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get wanting to inlet without any epoxy. I understand the craftsmanship, effort, doing it properly etc. But I'm a little fuzzy on why a piece of steel replacing missing wood is any different than epoxy. Other than it's more difficult?

Posts: 2651 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:

Yes muzzle break-ported muzzle break.
ported muzzle break

NRA member
Wildlife Conservationist
Offhand Open Sight Rifle Shooter
Idiot

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jeez Trax: Let me try and make this simple: I do not use glass, putty, etc. I do not make "patterns", I do not have a panograph (duplicator)., so therefore have no need for glassing up a stock pattern for individual baralled actions.

Yes, occasionally a semi inleted stock is used ....but only when there's a compelling reason and a customer mandate.

I know my method may seem outdated so some, but I have no reason to do it any other way

I was just wondering why you stick to traditional methods for the stocking process,
but will employ the convenient use of modern epoxy to mould or cast models to help produce precision metal components.

Just so you know what I am referring to,...

This is your Devcon epoxy created moulded pattern that your machine is duplicating in reverse? ..or am I mistaken?

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Is it really hard to understand why some insist on good inletting over epoxy? It is a matter of pride and craftsmanship and that is a good thing IMO.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Trax, can you drop it before Duane loses his shit and says to hell with this forum.
Unlike yourself, some of us don't know everything and really appreciate his willingness to share his hard earned knowledge.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote