New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
May 21st I ordered a barrel from McGowan. It took a bit of talking with Dan Wynne to get him to put me on the build list for a tapered octagon barrel with integral milled FL rib.

I have in mind to fit it (450-400 NItro Express 3 1/4") to a Steve Earle replica of the Frank Wesson #1 Long Range action. I've had the action sitting here for several years, trying to figure out the perfect chambering. One of those "Analysis to paralysis..." things.

This morning I got an Email from McGowan that my barrel would be ready to ship come Monday morning. Yesssssssss!!!

In two weeks, or a bit less I should have it in hand, and some pictures to post for you all.

visualize a large "Smiley Face" here...

Rich

And yes, this is what one of Duane's trap grip caps will be fitted to.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What. Made you choose McGowan ?

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two things:

1. they make a pretty nice barrel, Butch Searcy uses them at times, and recommended them for this caliber.

2. call a couple barrel makers and ask them to make you a tapered octagon barrel with an integral milled full length rib. I spoke with three over the phone and got three "No's". McGowan has computerized CNC mills and would take the challenge on.

I guess I can tell you now, they are capable and willing to do this for customers.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Who is going to put it together?
If possible show us some pictures as it evolves.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Did they specify which Monday?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
November 3rd. And, yes, 2014

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
That sounds pretty amazing. How much extra do they charge for that? Could they do an integral sights and recoil lugs?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
McGowan agreed to make RIP's and my barrels for .395 caliber. Both of my rifles and a friend's .395 shoot extremely well. Had McGowan's do a .22-250 1-10 twist barrel for me and, again, it shoots extremely well.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boomie,

About double the price of the basic blank. One of the wonders of CNC machinery is that if the programmer can write the program, it can be done. Dan told me it took his guy more time to do that, than for the shop to actually profile the barrel.

As far as a quarter rib and recoil lugs, it just costs more because they have to start with a larger diameter barrel blank.

The one Duane did is gorgeous, but look at the intricacy of the rib finish and the quarter rib on top of the FL rib.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Sharpshooter

What bullet diameter will your barrel be for, .408, .410, or .411?

One of my double rifles is a British 450/400 3 1/4" Nitro Express Magnum. It is a .408 diameter gun.

I really like the calibre. I have taken deer, pigs, black bear, caribou, baboons, warthog, zebra, cape buff, lion, and bull elephant with it.

Be sure and show us some pictures of it when you get it done. Sounds like a nice rifle.

PS.I use my 75% rule with 300gr Hawk .025jkt bullets for deer and pigs. I have never had one take a single step after being hit.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE,

.410". It will let me develop plinking loads with 41 Magnum pistol bullets, and with all weights of cast. As I mentioned, Butch uses their barrels in his 450-400 doubles.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE,

standard .410" diameter. That's what Barnes makes, as well as Hornady.

one of us
posted Hide Post
IS

That was a wise choice. You do not always have to shoot cape buff/elephant loads in a 450/400 3 1/4".

You can "drop down" to 405 Winchester power levels for "lesser" game.

And as you have stated, use 41 mag pistol bullets for plinking.

That should be a most excellent hunting/fun rifle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IS, If you haven't worked with the 450/400 before I believe you'll like it. I've not played with the 3 1/4 in. version. I believe your plan will make a beautiful rifle.

I just finished working up some cast loads for a Ruger 450/400 using two bullet weights, a 410 gr. Lyman I use in my 40-70 Sharps Straight and a 270 gr. bullet from Accurate Arms I use in my 10.5 X 47R. Both have enough ballistics for deer and hog sized game and turned out extremely accurate. If you're interested I'd be glad to share them with you. I really like the 450/400 but the Ruger is the 3 inch variety.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a new sight unseen, favorite young lady friend!

Madi, at McGowan Barrels. Gave her the plastic number a few minutes ago, and the barrel is going out 3-day ground this afternoon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I.S. Did you get it? popcorn coffee jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not yet. The over sized urchin you see sitting at the curb next to the mailbox in front of the house is me. C'mon UPS...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Not yet. The over sized urchin you see sitting at the curb next to the mailbox in front of the house is me. C'mon UPS...

rotflmo

Posts: 1743 | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one I feel sorry for is your wife, is it here yet, is it here yet, is it here yet, is it here yet........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This sounds like a great build! Do you already have the wood blank you're going to use?
AB

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die

"Men don't change. The only thing that should surprise a man in his life is the history he doesn't know." Harry Truman

Posts: 451 | Location: West Coast of Florida | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

Still sitting at the curb? Gotta be getting chilly by now?

coffee

Posts: 217 | Location: US | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still here, but it's dropping below freezing so I may have to go inside...

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
That's some slow 3-day ground...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have probably been driving by and going, He's still there!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's about a thousand miles. I could and have driven it in a day...

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Rich..surely you have a tracking number...

Mcgowen to Boise is 2 days...by UPS..by pack mule..??

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

one of us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey rich, did your barrel get there yet. I got an e-mail from them about the time you posted about your barrel being done. my barrel was a tapered octagon dimensioned after a douglas #2 taper. it got here today. I live in the southeast corner of pa. If your barrel looks as good as mine i'm sure it will please you although mine needs some polishing.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update, minor "oops". Within two weeks shipping date.

Never did get a tracking number.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Status of barrel update?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
still waiting...

I went ahead and put the 450-400 NE 3 1/4" on the back burner while I have my 404J and 450/375 RUM bolt guns stocked.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Would have been easier to break out the manual machines and start whittlin' Smiler

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonder what's going on with this barrel everyone wants to see? Just more smoke being blown?

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the normal wait time on a McGowen barrel?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pegleg, do us both a favor and put me on ignore... Anal retentive idiots like you are the reason I have not posted pictures of some of the custom rifles I have had built. At least consider it. The envy is eating you up, and I could care less if you pass on.

For those sincerely interested, the update last Friday was two months.

This will be the third barrel. I ordered it in December of 2013. May the first barrel came, all to my specs, but with a quarter-rib. Sent it back with a note.
Second barrel arrived in mid-November, tapered octagon, but with NO rib. Called, and sent it back. Then via phone the week between Christmas and New Year's the conversation was that they were a bit unsure of just what I wanted, and would I make a drawing.

My drawing skills are even less technically advanced than my penmanship. I draw a circle using a 3lb coffee can lid (Folgers for those of you who care) and draw a square inside it. Then I measure and draw flats to make an octagon. Then, I turn the paper over and outline the octagon on the opposite side and make a copy. I leave the top flat with an 8/th circle above that flat. I called to check Friday, and they told me two months. It will be interesting to see just how many $$$ it ends up costing me.

Which is going to work out just fine. I have the OM 70 450/375 RUM and the VZ 24 404 Jefferys at the stockmaker and both are at the final stage; checkering. I need about another months allowance to cover that. Then, in about two weeks, we are heading to Vegas for SCI.

Then, comes March, and hopefully a barrel in the mail from McGowen.

Then, I have only two barreled actions to get stocked. A DWM Berlin Model of 1908 Brazilian in 9,3x62 that I talked DPCD into barreling for me.

And, a Commercial Mauser action with double sets and an engraved floor plate (that I got here from somebody in Colorado a couple years back) and the marvelous side lever floor plate release. It has an octagon barrel in sporter weight chambered in 257 Roberts.

I need to get organized and just finish one before starting on the next one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good news for almost everyone here. The folks that are actually interested in having one done.

The barrel came today, and it is exactly per my specifications. I am pleased with the result. Any future ones will be 8-10 weeks, now that they have written the CNC code and actually done one.

Good timing, we went to my stock maker's on the way to SCI last week and picked up my OM70 450/375 RUM (aka 460 G&A) and the VZ-24 404 Jefferys.

I'll have the $$$ at month's end to have the metalwork done on the 450-400 Nitro Express 3 1/4". May, deliver the barreled action and two-piece blanks to my wood guy. Late June, be doing load work.

It's a good life...

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you post a Picture? I would like to see it.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I will.

NPD345 is a good friend, and has offered to get a couple good pictures taken and post them on Monday or Tuesday. It is beyond expectations.

ISS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure would like to see it.

I have purchased barrels over the years from McGowan. the delivery time was much more realistic when harry was still there. I have found that the new delivery dates mean very little. I have received barrels much more quickly than the estimates and I recently cancelled an order for one that languished for 9 months.
what McGowan provides are very good barrels in custom style configurations at a very reasonable price.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote