Find
Notify
Tools

222 Custom for kid/parent
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I finally have a kid old enough to get into hunting. I am thinking about building a 222 (because I have brass and bullets).

Going to be a 700 clone or a single shot 700.

We have a multitude of 700 stocks laying here. I want to cut one down for her, and bed it and bed one of mine.

How do I figure out how long the stock is supposed to be for her?

She seems to be right eye dominant, but left handed.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
more to fitting than length of pull.
first determine her eye dominance and teach her to shoot from the dominant side.no real habits or muscle memory so it shouldn't be to hard.
unless she is full size the grip will be way to fat for her to hold it properly and her hand will be wrong to reach the trigger. none of this really matters if she is shooting from a rest that supports the whole gun.
anyhow the standard crook of the elbow to the last joint of the trigger finger works as well as anything if all you are trying to determine is a random pull length.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
She is at 11.5 for that measurement.

I asked Manners stocks about their adjustable length of pull stock and was told the grip is not set up for children it is a standard sized grip.

The Savage lady hunter stock might be more her size. She told me she wants a thumbhole.

I have a Manners T-5A which is a thumbhole, but it is $1000 and I don't want to cut it down for her.

I have an old Greybull Precision stock on a 6.5 Creedmoor (with a brake on it), and I want her to try that. I wouldn't mind cutting it down as it was only $180.

What is the best way to saw a fiberglass stock? Band saw/Hack saw?

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
How about a T/C COntender with a youth stock? Geta custom barrel from Bullberry.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
How about a T/C COntender with a youth stock? Geta custom barrel from Bullberry.

Thought about that, looked at those last night.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just bed two remingtons, one for you and one for her. there is a vido on Boyds stock on how to get a good estimate on LOP. I find I have to take some off the sides and top of grip/wrist for kids.( Video on Midway USA) As there is no recoil I probably wouldnt worry about slimming forearm, you could shorten it to remove weight.

Posts: 1066 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I finally have a kid old enough to get into hunting. I am thinking about building a 222 (because I have brass and bullets).

Going to be a 700 clone or a single shot 700.

We have a multitude of 700 stocks laying here. I want to cut one down for her, and bed it and bed one of mine.

How do I figure out how long the stock is supposed to be for her?

She seems to be right eye dominant, but left handed.[/QUOTE

If possible I would take her somewhere to let her try a few guns. I would probably also take a slip on recoil pad. I think most of the youth guns are around 11.25-11.5 for lop then if needed slip on a 1/2” recoil pad to see how that feels. I think that would be better than the crook of the elbow test for lop.
I’m the opposite of her being left eye dominate and right handed. I grew up shooting right handed until I was in high school. Then started shooting left handed with no issues. If possible let her try both and see what is more natural for her. I know I got funny looks in the military on the range when I told them I was right handed and proceeded to shoot lefty.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hard to say..I have a Rem 600 222 that all my kids have used for their first deer or first few deer..I first cut it off behind the pistol for my 6 year old, and added spacers as he grew and removed them for the next kid in line ans so fourth, can set the LOP, at any length just about with a through bolt, now the great grand kids are getting pretty close to the pistol grip!! tu2

Its working out, not too pretty but functional..and at some point the original stock will go back on it for the if needed..My grandsons 30 and living the cowboy life, and he still carries it in his pickup and still shoots his yearly deer with it, and sees no need for more rifle..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and son are right handed and left eye dominant. I got them shooting left handed from the start.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote