Find
Notify
Tools

First Attempt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted
With a lot of help and insight from some real pro's, I finally have completed my first custom build.

The gun is a Ruger No. 1, chambered in 35 Whelen, with a 25" barrel. Topped with a 1.75-6x VX-3, she weighs in at 8.75 lbs.

Special thanks to Steve Hughes and his great stockmaking summer courses, Dennis Erhardt for his awesome metal work, Jeff Tapp for his fantastic checkering, and Gordon Alcorn for his perfect engraving.

Posts: 133 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 24 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
She's a beauty.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Sweet.

Beautiful wood.

For me, personally, I'd prefer the front to be more slender, but i'ts not mine.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, very nice looking rifle. I might have done a smaller, trimmer foreend but it is all personal preference. Love the look of the barrel.

Mike

Posts: 21200 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words. Wondering if we're missing some scale because that fore end is pretty small, especially compared to the factory offerings.

Posts: 133 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 24 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
Looks great! I wouldn't change a thing. Just missing a few field dings and the stories that go with them. Time to have fun making those stories!

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
That's really nice, especially the color of the wood.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a beautiful rifle and, from the look of that target, a real shooter! Well done.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Look, to be honest talking about the forearm is like talking about a mole on Kate Upton. I was not referring so much to the length of forearm as a was to the fact that I would prefer more taper toward the end of the forearm. That said, there are no fleas on that piece for sure!

Mike

One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
No offense taken, MJines. I just used your comment as a convenient reason to post more pics Wink. I'll try playing with more taper towards the end the next time I'm at the drawing board. Thanks for the input!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That has to be about the nicest looking #1 I've ever seen, and in a great chambering. Good job.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The wood color is awesome.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
The wood color is awesome.

I agree... looks so nice! Congrats!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should be proud, very nice work.
Steve Bertram

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I like it looks real nice...but I cant find the rear sight?

Enjoy!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice team work LRx. Your investment in schooling appears to have paid off nicely. Very, very nice for your first or tenth or 20th for that matter.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A beautiful #1 in 35 Whelen that shoots !
Beyond cool !

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:
I like it looks real nice...but I cant find the rear sight?

Enjoy!

Good eye! Do to timing issues, I did not have enough time to file-in the rear sight prior to the latest SDH class (see the work in progress at: ( http://forums.accuratereloadin...1019521/m/7261008102 ) . Will regulate soon, but after working towards this day for the better part of 3 years, I couldn't wait any longer to go shoot it!

Thanks for the kind words, all. Can't wait to take her out after elk this fall! Stay tuned!

One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Glen71:
It's a beautiful rifle and, from the look of that target, a real shooter! Well done.

Thanks, Glen71! I should have mentioned that was a 10 shot group, fired pretty hastily with factory Core-Lokt's during a barrel break-in session. I think I can improve on it with some handloads, but even if I don't, I'm beyond satisfied!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that your barrel is broken in. Just saying.

Sweet rifle.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
If that rifle is your first attempt I think you have a very bright future ahead of you! Nicely done.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
NICE RIFLE!
And it's all the sweeter when you can take credit for it your self.

WELL DONE SIR!

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LRx it is a beauty, you definitely have talent. Keep it up and best of luck in your endeavors.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You put the cheekpiece on the wrong side. Otherwise, beautiful.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great gun. What kind of a trigger is that? I'm not a big fan of most factory triggers.

Thanks,

Dick Wright

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
Dick, thanks! The trigger is a Moyers. Definitely not a "drop-in" job, but Dennis did a nice job fitting it. Used to be able to order them from Midway, but they've since discontinued them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All great comments. I should say that Lee was the original guy to inquire about custom gunmaking classes, he came down from Helena to meet me and see the workshop, came to the last ACGG custom show in Reno and attended the Seminars three years in a row.

Lee wasn't interested in short cuts, did all his own hand polishing and rust bluing, took the high-hard road with stock staining and most of all he Never got in a hurry at any stage of the project.

Lee took note at all the lectures and demos, did the majority of the work in his shop, calling if there was an issue or concern and had pro work done in just the right spots.

He has begun another project M-70 for his wife Trish (she is quite the Huntress!) so we will have something to look forward to in the future.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats a very nice rifle !
Just courious as to who made the barrel, and did you use the factory hanger for the forearm?

Hang on TITE !!

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Super nice rifle, especially for a 1st attempt!

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Pretty nice looking Krag (if it is a Krag Jorgensen) on the far left too.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice !! Great work, great wood it'a a 1 shot per Elk gun .
You mention G.Alcorn teaching engraving -but no engraving on your rifle ? My Browning 1885 with it's big flat receiver begged for engraving as does yours ??
BOOM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A very nice rifle! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
You mention G.Alcorn teaching engraving -but no engraving on your rifle ? My Browning 1885 with it's big flat receiver begged for engraving as does yours ??

Gordon's work was limited by my budget, not his abilities! As it were, I had Gordon engrave the major screw heads, inlay a gold "S" in the safety well, and matte the top of the receiver, quarter rib, front sight ramp and safety. He also engraved the caliber on the quarter rib.

Photo's by Gordon Alcorn:

One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leemar28:
Thats a very nice rifle !
Just courious as to who made the barrel, and did you use the factory hanger for the forearm?

Thanks Leemar. The barrel is a Douglas #4 contour. Dennis Erhardt did a hell of a job making the quarter rib and fitting the sling stud and front sight.

As for the factory hanger, Dennis cut it off as short as possible (but still long enough for the mainspring to function) then dovetailed a block to the bottom of the barrel to mount the forearm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle. Great job. Congratulations.

I like the quarter rib.

I look forward to photos with rear sight installed and other projects.

Best wishes, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The wood is really handsome and well shaped. You did a really first class job. I like the color a lot. Did you use a stain and if so what and what did the wood look like before staining?

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
LRx
one of us

posted 11 August 2014 07:42

I'd really like to see that worked over hanger, and the block for the forearm !!!
PLEASE.........

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Liles:
Did you use a stain and if so what and what did the wood look like before staining?

Thanks Jerry! I used Behlen's Solar-lux in walnut to stain the wood. The entire process is detailed in Steve Hughes' "Double Guns and Custom Gunsmithing". Buy two copies, since your bench copy will get pretty tattered (you can buy them directly from Steve at www.finegunmaking.com).

The wood was a dark brown to begin with, but the staining took it over the top in providing that beautiful reddish hue (IMO).

One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]I'd really like to see that worked over hanger, and the block for the forearm !!!
PLEASE.........[/QUOTE]

Here you go, Leemar. Hope it helps!