THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    FN Mauser 7mm Rem mag Semi-Custom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN Mauser 7mm Rem mag Semi-Custom
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted
Hey Guys,

I call this gun a semi-custom only because it was done without the coordination of a professional gunsmith. As you will see some work was done by the owner and the remainder was farmed out to others.

This gun was my first custom Mauser. I acquired it for well below fair value. I shot it regularly, though I never did have the opportunity to hunt with it, and kept it in good condition for several years before selling it here on AR for what seemed to be fair value at the time, (a couple of years after my purchase.) Final sale price was $1500.

Here are some specifics:

The rifle is accurate and shoots sub moa with 175 gr trophy bonded bear claw loads and was used to take a fine 16pt Stag in New Zealand by its original owner.

Mauser 98 Fabrique Nationale Belgian military action
7mm magnum
Metal work and rust blue by Montana Riflemen
#2 Douglas 23, bbl.
Blackburn trigger
Low safety
Millled trigger guard and hinged floorplate with checked release
Checkered bolt knob
Checkered and jeweled bolt stop
Jeweled follower
Classic XX English walnut stock
Steel grip cap
Shadowline fluted cheekpiece
Glass bedded
Wraparound checkering by Claude Gatewood
Pachmayr pad

To be clear..this is not a "premium" custom. Only a customized rifle meant to be hunted that was one of many in the original owners collection. In light of those facts, and given the minimal budget it was complete on, I firmly believe it was a successful venture.

JC

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of things I like about that rifle!
I like the stock, metal and checkering very nice and what a fine hunting rifle.
I would change the safety and too bad its a 7 mag, that rifle should be a 9.3x62 or a 338/06 or a 7x64.
Great rifle.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
There are a lot of things I like about that rifle!
I like the stock, metal and checkering very nice and what a fine hunting rifle.
I would change the safety and too bad its a 7 mag, that rifle should be a 9.3x62 or a 338/06 or a 7x64.
Great rifle.

Snell,

I agree on alot..

Believe it or not the stock was an inexpensive "Richards Microfit" stock. The owner did all of the finishing, with the exception of the checkering. In fact, the only significant issue with the stock from a "premium" standpoint was the fact that the blank had less figure on the other side, (a very legite concern if you were paying for a high dollar custom).

I too would have changed the safety...but then again I never built as many customs as the original owner. So I presume his reasons were sound given his hunting experience, and budgets.

JC