New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom scope bases video
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just a short video showing the process I use to make scope bases for Talley rings.
https://youtu.be/6wrcSWZUWoM

Posts: 571 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Real nice! A guy can tie up a fair amount of time making scope mounts. I just finished 2, and have the 3rd about done. Mine aren't as refined as yours are, but it depends on how much can you can charge for making 'um, as to how much time you can invest.

Posts: 675 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Reminds me a little of the ones Mark Stratton made me, which I like a lot.

I wish I had seen this a few years ago.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you! Yes, they do suck up quite a bit of time. But from the video it looks like it only takes about three minutes Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by slivers:
Real nice! A guy can tie up a fair amount of time making scope mounts. I just finished 2, and have the 3rd about done. Mine aren't as refined as yours are, but it depends on how much can you can charge for making 'um, as to how much time you can invest.

Posts: 571 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Baxter!
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Very nice. Reminds me a little of the ones Mark Stratton made me, which I like a lot.

I wish I had seen this a few years ago.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kudos to MNR. Additional kudos for using 4140 steel. MNR is, no doubt, placing function and durability over profitability.

MNR is a ACGG professional member. You will find this same approach to fine custom gunmaking
prevalent throughout the ACGG.

Good job!

Roger

Posts: 474 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How did you cut the action radius? Fly cutter? Boring head? Lathe setup?

I've done it a couple of ways and still am not real happy with my results. Curious how you make that cut.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cheat Smiler My DRO has a circle pattern guide (I'm sure it has a different name). I punch in the radius minus half the cutter diameter, tell it how many holes (30 works well) and then just follow the coordinates. It's how I cut a lot of radius' like the one on the front of the base in the video.
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
How did you cut the action radius? Fly cutter? Boring head? Lathe setup?

I've done it a couple of ways and still am not real happy with my results. Curious how you make that cut.

Jeremy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really enjoyed watching - beautiful job. I also watched your youtube on building the .275 and the .375. You are very talented and do great work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks to me that the torch has been passed and that the Custom Gun Trade will be in good hands.The level of dedication and skill that is being shown by these young makers is a great thing to see!

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Top quality all the way...nice work!

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thoroughly enjoyed watching your videos, especially about the .275 Rigby build. Amazed at the talent and craftsmanship. Well done!

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote