New
Find
Notify
Tools

Serial Number
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
To the gun builders...I recently acquired a custom .375 built on a Brevex action. the only thing it has for a serial number is the letter "A" on the bottom of the receiver. There's a local guy that does laser engraving on guns and was thinking of having him engrave a serial number on the bolt release.
Would I need to completely disassemble the bolt release for this to be done? My concern is the heat from the laser messing with the heat treat of the spring inside the bolt release.
Thanks in advance.

DRSS

Posts: 1148 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pick another spot for the SN---Underneath the ring?

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Put a number on the receiver ring, on the left side; that way no one will ever question it. Many Mausers do not have serial numbers open the receiver, which is ok, but just to avoid unnecessary scrutiny and questions and in case you take it out of the country. A serial number on the bolt doesn't count.

Posts: 17047 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gents. The only reason I'm even worrying with it is because I intend to take it to Africa next year, God willing.

DRSS

Posts: 1148 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh by the way.....how bad will the laser affect the bluing?
Thanks again.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should have said the bluing surrounding the engraved part.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Then you definitely need a serial number on the receiver or at least the barrel to appease any Govt bureaucrats you might encounter. I would have it hand engraved; I know nothing about laser engraving.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience with laser engraving is that it might be best done with a short-wavelength laser. CO2 might be ok but has a bigger spot size and needs more power to engrave metal. My 80-watt CO2 doesn't engrave steel, might if it had a different focusing lens. It does ok with anodized aluminum by vaporizing the coloring ink, not the metal underneath.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14332 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again gents.

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest reading up on the new ghost gun laws before you go having any ol body start engraving numbers on a gun. Might keep them out of hock if they get caught.

John

Posts: 537 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
acid etch

clean

one of us
posted Hide Post
If your a hunter and hunt in the 3rd world I suggest Ser. Numbers on the tang. It saves grief when clearing customs especially with packed gun cases of various types..If your not a traveler then place it where it doesn't show probably..

I actually had the ser # put on the steel butt plates for that reason after having to unpack my tough pack a couple of times then repack it in an airport..Not fun when your tired and wore plumb out... I also like the tuff pack for that reason, they just look and send you on your way..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In some countries, the barrel is the "gun" and serial numbers only appear there. Brevex (France) would fit into that category. But..I believe an action number is universal now.

I believe it is best to let the border officials see what they want to see. Etching will not disturb the bluing if done correctly.

It will look nice and save a bit of $$$ vs hand engraving. Guidelines call for a depth of .003"

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Found a guy right down the road from me that does laser engraving on firearms and had him do it on the left side of the front receiver ring just above the stock line. Looks like it was there all along. Very pleased with how it turned out. He also checked with ATF before he did anything.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You don't need to check with atf. You can put anything you want onto a firearm. You just can't deface or remove an original serial number.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is good to know.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A shop where I worked carted the imported guns to the local jewelery store to have them engraved with the proper logos. It was very unobtrusive and professional looking. I don't know if all jewelry stores are able to tackle this job.

Posts: 62 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ground alot of large ring mausers to small ring serial number gone
thats probably illegal now

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 160 | Location: Mississippi USA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not illegal if you replace a number, any number..I was told by an ATF agent some years ago..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote