New
Find
Notify
Tools

.62 Caliber Flintlock Hunter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For about 5 years now I've wanted to build this rifle, I've actually been working on it a little here and a little there for almost 3 years now. The Mechanic's Car, the Shoemaker's kids and the Gunsmith's gun all seem to be the same story, you get so busy building for customers you can never find the time to build anything for your self. So I slowly put an hour or two at a time in on this thing for nearly 3 years to finally get the Flintlock hunting rifle I have envisioned for a while now.

I know when people look at this they are going to say how it isn't historically or period correct but that is actually the point. I have owned several flintlock rifles and I think they are fine guns for rendezvous or re-enacting but they have never been my cup of tea when it comes to hunting. They are long barreled, full stocked, heavy and just not my taste in hunting rifles. The few Halfstock Flintlock rifles on the market didn't interest me either, CVA, TC, Lyman all make a half stock flintlock but they are all patterned after a variation of the plains rifle, they all have untapered barrels, they all have underribs or at the very least pipes and a ramrod hanging under the barrel and none of them comes in a caliber bigger than .58. And they are mostly pretty heavy.

I wanted a rifle that feels, weighs, handles and generally looks like one of my modern cartridge rifles but is still legal to hunt anywhere in the U.S. during muzzleloading season.

Down to the details:
.62 Caliber Colerain Barrel Slow twist for Patched Roundball. 32" long tapered.
R.E. Davis Lock
Pachmyer Decelerator Recoil Pad, I like steel buttplates but I plan to be shooting this for many years to come and I like recoil less and less these days.
The Trigger, Triggerguard and Grip Cap I made myself.
The stock is American Black Walnut with an ebony forearm cap.
The sights were just extras I had laying around from TOTW...single leaf rear and a silver blade front.
The stock is oil finished and waxed to give a nice matte(low sheen).
The metal is rust blued and also done to a matte finish.
I don't like my hunting rifle to give off a lot of reflection.
To keep the weight down I didn't add an underib or pipes and ramrod instead I made a multi-piece ramrod for my possibles bag.
Weight is 6 pounds 10 Ounces.

The Rifle:

The Target:

6" x 6" square the black circle is approx 2" diameter
100 yards, offhand, un-supported
120grs FFG Goex
4Fg pan
.600 diameter 97% lead - 3% Antimony (325ish grains, I haven't weighed one yet to see exactly)
.018" Pillowticking Veg Lube

The one flyer was totally my fault I had a very slight hang fire and I didn't hold through like I should have. I think with more load development I can probably tighten the group up a bit more but since Muzzleloader season starts here in about 3 weeks I may not have time to get back out and do the load work so for now I am satisfied enough to take it hunting white-tail.

Thanks for looking,

Colin

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

Posts: 66 | Location: central Va. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great Colin!! I like the breakdown rod. Good luck with her, share some pics if you manage to bag anything.

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

If I get something I'll be sure to post.

Colin

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice looks likes it needs to kill a deer

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Different, I like it and good luck with it!

Enjoy!

I remember when Oklahoma approved scopes on muzzleloaders,lol. Everyone wanted to be able to use there iron sights and have the scope, so I put see-thru scope mounts on them and then the scope...(different) butt ugly they where.
That really had nothing to do with your rifle...just rambling, don't scope it Wink.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
This makes me want an AR15 style muzzle loader Big Grin
http://www.cmmginc.com/product_p/50ba663.htm
Or perhaps a front stuffer walking staff.

But seriously... Glad you are finding time to float your own boat. You work hard for others dream guns.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it! I have been considering something similar with a Thompson I inherited. There were a few similar rifles at a gun show recently that I photographed and may try to duplicate.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a great looking gun. And a good shooter.
Congrats.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats the gun I want built. Just make mine left handed.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote